Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WML? - Celebrities who were panelist and MG on both versions  (Read 5405 times)

SuperSweeper

Re: WML? - Celebrities who were panelist and MG on both versions
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2022, 11:59:32 AM »
Just to summarize everything again…

Celebrities who could qualify, but I don’t have a confirmed syndication MG appearance:
Allen Ludden
Robert Q. Lewis
Soupy Sales
Peter Lawford

Celebrities who could qualify, but I don’t have a confirmed syndie panel appearance:
Kitty Carlisle
Peter Lind Hayes
Tony Randall

Mentioned, but didn’t qualify:
All three hosts
Bennett Cerf
Dorothy Kilgallen and Fred Allen (because of their deaths)
Martin Gabel
Phyllis Newman (also not an MG on the CBS version, unfortunately)

I hope that people will continue to share guesses/ideas!

SuperSweeper

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2022, 12:01:11 PM »
Ah, excellent!  That list of three men was essentially a question.  Got it, and I apologize for being confused.  It's a shame there isn't a definitive list of Mystery Guests for the syndicated version.  We're stuck with just what fans know based on what GSN and Buzzr has aired.  The Fates book helps fill in some syndie gaps a little, but not for the purposes of your elegant question.

Not a problem - thanks again for that question! I realized that my initial post wasn’t too clear after the main list.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 08:29:34 PM »
An anonymous source was very kind enough to research my questions - thank you, kind soul, and thank you to the person who shared the information with me.

All four of my questioned Mystery Guests - Allen, Robert, Soupy, and Peter - all did appear in that role. They have all hit the WML Grand Slam.

On the other hand, all three I asked about with regards to the panel - Kitty, Tony, and Peter - did NOT appear on the syndicated version in that role.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 08:53:31 PM by SuperSweeper »

SuperMatch93

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 12:47:16 AM »
An anonymous source was very kind enough to research my questions - thank you, kind soul, and thank you to the person who shared the information with me.

All four of my questioned Mystery Guests - Allen, Robert, Soupy, and Peter - all did appear in that role. They have all hit the WML Grand Slam.

On the other hand, all three I asked about with regards to the panel - Kitty, Tony, and Peter - did NOT appear on the syndicated version in that role.

I was surprised to hear about Robert Q. Lewis being on the syndicated show. I guess I've always associated him with the 50s and wasn't aware that he was still relevant by then.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 01:29:16 AM »

I was surprised to hear about Robert Q. Lewis being on the syndicated show. I guess I've always associated him with the 50s and wasn't aware that he was still relevant by then.

Didn't he also do at least one week of Match Game in the 1970s?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Bryce L.

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2022, 02:10:28 AM »

He did, episodes 0096 to 0100 (last week of November, first week of December, 1973). Lineup was RQL, Brett, Morey Amsterdam, Joyce Bulifant, Dawson and Ann Elder.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2022, 07:42:28 AM »

I didn't know relevance was a requirement for Match Game.  ;)

TimK2003

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2022, 08:44:43 AM »

He also dod a few weeks of The Cross Wits in the mid 70s.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2022, 09:11:41 AM »
Don't forget about Robert Q (and Regis Philbin) on the panel of the Jack Barry-hosted "What's My Perversion?" :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2022, 11:34:07 AM »

When you're desperate to fill five MG slots a week, having previously only dealt with the one, you're going to have to rely occasionally on some old friends.  This doesn't surprise me at all, "relevant" or not.  I still remember as a kid seeing Gretchen Wyler as a Mystery Guest and having absolutely no idea who that was.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2022, 12:05:35 PM »
Q was only in his early 50s during his Match Game appearance. He seemed much older.

BillCullen1

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2022, 12:12:37 PM »
I still remember as a kid seeing Gretchen Wyler as a Mystery Guest and having absolutely no idea who that was.

I felt the same way when I saw Eileen Fulton as a MG. She was on As The World Turns.

When you need 5 MGs a week, you're not always going to get an A-lister or someone who's very popular at the time.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2022, 01:53:49 PM »
I met Eileen Fulton in 1979, and believe me, she was thought of and was treated like a star.

Bob Zager

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2022, 11:33:15 AM »
My apologies for going a bit off-topic, but I wonder if anyone know for sure the answers to a couple questions, regarding pics of Wally Bruner.

1.  In this picture, https://www.oocities.org/TelevisionCity/4439/markbillwally.jpg, the background wall is from the set of TTTT daytime, in its final season.  It appears that Bruner is seated at the panelists' desk (with Mark Goodson and Bill Todman).   Did he ever appear on the show in that capacity?  Somewhere, too, I'd seen a similar photo, in which Bruner was seated at what I'm sure was Bud Collyer's hosting station, and wondered if Bruner ever guest-hosted TTTT?

2.  While looking for other pics, I stumbled across this one: https://www.imago-images.com/st/0099740589, where they identify the man, second from our right, as Larry Blyden.  I'm under the impression it's really political satirist Mark Russell, whom I know appeared on WML? occasionally.  Anybody know for sure?

Eric Paddon

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2022, 05:06:26 PM »
Unquestionably that's Russell, not Blyden.