Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Summer Game Shows officially axed  (Read 10809 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Summer Game Shows officially axed
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 08:54:18 PM »
I thought his way of saying it was stilted for effect. Producers wanted him to make it a big deal but exclaiming things isn't his style. He's not a zany demonstrative guy.
That's a great way to put it. Agreed 100%.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

alfonzos

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2022, 02:31:28 PM »
I was never comfortable with Baldwin as host. He always seemed peeved. The Hustler wasn't fun to watch. Card Sharks is the real disappointment. The producers never figured out how to make the game into a self contained half-hour format. I really liked the presentation with the hubcap-sized poker chips. The set is the most dazzling I have ever witnessed.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2022, 02:35:37 PM »
The Hustler was appointment viewing for my wife, so it was good for the family dynamic.  The rest won't be missed.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2022, 05:55:13 PM »
I watched precisely one episode of The Hustler. I really don’t know what so many of you saw in it. I really don’t. But so be it.

I’m not surprised Card Sharks bit the dust, because try as they might have, it just didn’t do the parent show any sort of justice. And I also felt that there was way too much chrome.

Match Game I still enjoyed but it was airing so infrequently that I’m amazed it made it as long as it did.

Didn’t really find much interest in Celebrity Dating Game, so no real substantive opinions on it from me.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

bwood

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 12:03:30 AM »
Word on the street is Supermarket Sweep is getting the Millionaire treatment and being "shelved" by ABC, not officially canceled:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/supermarket-sweep-cancelled-for-good-abc-game-show-not-returning-for-2022-23-season/

I honestly think they know there is some huge potential there  it just has to find its groove. Season 1 started strong and did well overall. Season 2 didn't fare as well but I still didn't think the ratings were terrible stacked up against Football.

I actually really liked this reboot and hate to see it go. It was fun. I looked at it as it's own entity removed from 90s version and thought it was decent. Sure there were some "opportunities" we could pick at but I thought it was done pretty well overall. Yes, Leslie could have toned it down some but I do like her and she was the reason it came back to begin with. Hopefully it comes back again soon or gets shopped around somewhere else.

Card Shark

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2022, 06:06:08 PM »
And apparently the new season of PYL starts tonight. Had no idea until earlier today.
Adam Strom

BillCullen1

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2022, 06:42:00 PM »
Also on tonight following PYL is The Generation Gap with your host, Kelly Ripa.

JMFabiano

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2022, 02:54:15 PM »
And apparently the new season of PYL starts tonight. Had no idea until earlier today.

I knew....I guess I followed it carefully as that and Pyramid are my only appointment/must watch parts of the block(s). 

(And we already have to wait 2 weeks for another episode?!!?)

Ow, a $200K+ Whammy. But she won her RV and still left the bonus game with 200K+ with a total of 300K, not bad.  No top prize, but the contestant gets her dream prize and six figures, so a good premiere. 

Prize-a-Palooza....could this be a crutch by the show's producers to attempt to hasten a $1 Million winner?

Yes I was happy when Elizabeth (re)introed the audience.  But am I mishearing/misreading the captions and did she say "898 days"?
 Since S3 was technically the only one with no audience, I think that is overselling it a tad...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Bryce L.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2022, 03:02:55 PM »
Prize-a-Palooza....could this be a crutch by the show's producers to attempt to hasten a $1 Million winner?
In my view, wanting to force a win is the only thing that could justify Prize-a-Palooza's existence, and even there I hesitate to use the word "justify", since gimmickry like that cheapens any win it produces. Almost analogous to the Million Dollar Mission garbage from Deal or No Deal back in the 00s.

tyshaun1

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2022, 03:03:43 PM »

I knew....I guess I followed it carefully as that and Pyramid are my only appointment/must watch parts of the block(s). 

(And we already have to wait 2 weeks for another episode?!!?)

Ow, a $200K+ Whammy. But she won her RV and still left the bonus game with 200K+ with a total of 300K, not bad.  No top prize, but the contestant gets her dream prize and six figures, so a good premiere. 

Yes I was happy when Elizabeth (re)introed the audience.  But am I mishearing/misreading the captions and did she say "898 days"?
 Since S3 was technically the only one with no audience, I think that is overselling it a tad...

I'd imagine since they taped Season 3 at CBS Studio Center and they taped season 2 all the way back in January 2020, that's the gap she was referring to.

trainman

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2022, 01:09:36 AM »
Is it sacrilege to say I really liked having Elizabeth do the opening spiel instead of the announcer? (I assume it was only for this first episode of the season, of course.)
trainman is a man of trains

Clay Zambo

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2022, 11:37:01 AM »
Is it sacrilege to say I really liked having Elizabeth do the opening spiel instead of the announcer?

If it is sacrilege, I will be right behind you in the confessional line. I thought it was GREAT.
czambo@mac.com

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2022, 01:52:23 PM »
Is it sacrilege to say I really liked having Elizabeth do the opening spiel instead of the announcer?

Given that she turned out to be a better announcer than the announcer?  No.

WhammyPower

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2022, 03:10:09 PM »

Given that she turned out to be a better announcer than the announcer?  No.
To be fair, the announcer is approaching 80 years old, and definitely peaked in the 80s:

https://youtu.be/S4m848bh1iY

Casey Buck

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2022, 04:21:35 PM »
The announcer is Neil Ross, who was also GSN's announcer during the late 90s/early 2000s.