Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: “Tattletales”: an appreciation  (Read 2477 times)

alfonzos

“Tattletales”: an appreciation
« on: March 18, 2022, 08:41:34 PM »
I didn’t watch the show often during it network airings. It was just Celebrity “Newlywed Game” to me. Giving the audience the winnings wasn’t enough of a hook to get me to become a fan. However, watching it on PlutoTV has made me a fan. The questions are insightful and fun. The retrospective factor concerning which relationships lasted (or, in the case of Fanny Flagg and Dick Sergeant for example, even existed) adds to the intrigue.

I propose that someone revive the format. You can pay the audience electronically to keep the less photogenic (if you get my drift) out of the audience.

BTW, IMDb.com claims that the celebrities were paid based on their performance during the game. Can anyone verify this?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

DoItRockapella

Re: “Tattletales”: an appreciation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 09:59:26 PM »
I propose that someone revive the format.

HBO Max just did. The new title is "About Last Night", and the money goes to charity.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/steph-ayesha-curry-jump-game-show-world-rcna14016

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 10:13:44 PM »
BTW, IMDb.com claims that the celebrities were paid based on their performance during the game. Can anyone verify this?

Doubtful. At least one member of the couple needed to have an AFTRA card. If their pay were pegged to the game score, they might not make AFTRA minimum if they did poorly in the game.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 03:13:01 AM »

Doubtful. At least one member of the couple needed to have an AFTRA card. If their pay were pegged to the game score, they might not make AFTRA minimum if they did poorly in the game.

Would a "1x scale for third, 1.5x scale for second, 2x scale for first" have been allowed?

PPatters

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 01:33:56 PM »
HBO Max just did. The new title is "About Last Night", and the money goes to charity.

I wrote a post about it in Show Summaries. It doesn’t include the audience; as you mentioned, they play for charity. But otherwise, it’s a faithful remake of Tattletales.
Patrick

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 06:16:21 PM »
Would a "1x scale for third, 1.5x scale for second, 2x scale for first" have been allowed?

Highly doubtful. For the panelists it's a work assignment. They have to bring five changes of clothes and possibly sit through a briefing for a day's taping of five shows, so the basic work assignment is the same, win lose or draw.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 09:24:15 PM »
While I doubt that Tattletales couples received different paychecks depending on their success at the game (it would have taken away from the lightheartedness of the show), I don't think there was anything that would have prevented Goodson-Todman from doing it. The original Battle of the Network Stars specials were upfront about the fact that the celebrities on the first-place team would receive more money than the celebrities on the second-place team, who would receive more money than the celebrities on the third-place team. Third place was still worth more than scale, so the additional money was there as an incentive for everybody to legitimately compete.

Otm Shank

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 02:43:32 AM »
While there wouldn't be a practical reason to have different payouts based on the gameplay, was every couple paid the same appearance fee? And for that matter, did the panel shows sweeten the pot to entice certain celebrities? Or was it recognized that everyone is below the A List, maybe a few notches below, and it was a flat rate, take it or we'll find someone who will?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 09:35:44 PM »
While I doubt that Tattletales couples received different paychecks depending on their success at the game (it would have taken away from the lightheartedness of the show), I don't think there was anything that would have prevented Goodson-Todman from doing it.

Would it have added entertainment value to the show if at the last moment before the credits Bert said "you're in first place so we're adding 10% to your fee", especially when the audience doesn't even know what that fee is? The precedent is that when celebs are vested in the game play their winnings go to a charity of the celeb's choosing. This gives the celeb cachet.

was every couple paid the same appearance fee? And for that matter, did the panel shows sweeten the pot to entice certain celebrities? Or was it recognized that everyone is below the A List, maybe a few notches below, and it was a flat rate, take it or we'll find someone who will?

Good question. Do Claire and Scoey Mitchlll count as one celeb or two? Scoey has the AFTRA card and Calif. is a community-property state so Claire is entitled to half regardless.

How about CNR and Dody Goodman? Or Allen and Betty?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 08:46:58 AM »
What about Mr and Mrs Willie Shoemaker? Would either of them be AFTRA? Or did they payoff for win, place or show? 😀
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 01:26:21 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.