Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show confirmed memories  (Read 2967 times)

aaron sica

Game show confirmed memories
« on: March 16, 2022, 06:19:43 PM »
Going on another angle.....which memories did you have from watching shows that you weren't sure if you remembered correctly, but thanks to GSN/Buzzr/YouTube/etc., you were able to verify?

I'll start with one for now.....Dick Clark plugging AB on a Friday $20K Pyramid show.

Ian Wallis

Re: Game show confirmed memories
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 06:41:37 PM »
I'll start with one for now.....Dick Clark plugging AB on a Friday $20K Pyramid show.

The cool thing about that is that he also plugged Pyramid on most AB shows during the late '70s.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JMFabiano

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 06:58:03 PM »
Gene Rayburn having laryngitis, sort of.

I thought it was on the syndie MG...it was actually on MG/HS. 

One thing I did remember clearly was the "Cheerios grow up to be ______" question.  Right down to, forget who, answering "CHEERLEADERS." 

In fact, Buzzr going through most of MG/HS's entire run confirmed a lot of stories from back in the day.  Where the $30K wins were.  The malfunctioning board.  The early 6-6 tie and the cheerleaders performing for most of the third act of MG.  Christmas trees on the video wall. 

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 10:19:10 AM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 07:33:53 PM »
Bob-O saying that "Fat folks don't get cold!" on Super Millionaire when Regis questioned his outfit choice in the middle of February.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 08:43:53 PM »
As a kid, I swore I saw the board operator on Super Password for one reason or another. Dunno if it was this particular episode, but I wouldn’t be surprised (about 2:16).

https://youtu.be/eS5Jqvy9Jys
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 09:54:14 PM »
My favorite was from the days I'd be dropped off at my grandma's and watched the USA block, and I distinctly remembered watching The New Chain Reaction with Geoff Edwards...and then there was a random couple of weeks where a different guy named Blake was the host. We've seen the claims that Blake Emmons' episodes never aired in the US, but I've been sure for 30+ years that a fellow I'd never seen named Blake hosted for a little bit before Geoff returned. Perhaps they aired as repeats during the first season?

Bryce L.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 10:16:08 PM »
The way I'd heard it, they taped Blake's episodes first, but in the U.S., held them back to finish the season.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 11:03:12 PM »
The way I'd heard it, they taped Blake's episodes first, but in the U.S., held them back to finish the season.
I'd buy that; GSN started with his first 3 episodes before scrapping it, which I assumed was sequentially the beginning of the USA run. Never heard that the US ended the first season with his episodes, only how USA "skipped over them."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 05:40:57 PM »
I can tell you definitively that Blake's episodes aired in the US. No clue who made those claims, but I suspect if you told me, I wouldn't be surprised.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 10:08:05 AM »
The PYL where Peter feigns fainting after a particularly exciting finish.  I remembered seeing this in first run...being only 9 tops at the time, I really wondered if something had gone wrong and if Peter was okay. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

whewfan

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 11:07:28 AM »
I'd buy that; GSN started with his first 3 episodes before scrapping it, which I assumed was sequentially the beginning of the USA run. Never heard that the US ended the first season with his episodes, only how USA "skipped over them."

Blake was the original host. Sande Stewart knew he wasn't quite right for the show and called on Geoff to come replace him. There was a problem, there were rules with the network that the personalities on a Canadian show had to be Canadian. Geoff, of course, wasn't. So to compromise, Rod Chalibois (I know that's the wrong spelling) the show's announcer, who is Canadian, appeared at the beginning and end of each show. At the end, Rod would present a Missing Link game for Geoff and the home audience to consider until the next show. This gave Geoff a chance to be a little silly giving obviously wrong responses, and he and Rod had some chemistry. Geoff told me it was hard to crack jokes and only get laughs from the crew that could speak English, and also, he was asked to limit cracking jokes because then the viewing audience would be able to tell that they have no live audience, when I asked why he looked bored, and he admitted he looked bored.

gridlockjoe

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 03:24:20 PM »
Rod Chalibois (I know that's the wrong spelling) the show's announcer, who is Canadian, appeared at the beginning and end of each show. At the end, Rod would present a Missing Link game for Geoff and the home audience to consider until the next show.

Rod Charlebois, staff announcer for CFCF (CTV Montréal).

aaron sica

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 07:13:56 AM »
Another one, confirmed by USA reruns - the bonus round in "Chain Reaction" being either 60 or 90 seconds.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 11:37:08 AM »
Sale of the Century's WBMG having both 4 in 20 and 5 in 25.
I swore I saw a semblance of the latter on USA.

Neumms

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 04:21:24 PM »
Here's one I'm hoping someone will confirm: A moment on Match Game when Chuck wrote "sheep dip" meaning sheep doo-doo. That would have matched, but sheep dip is something that's not that and was judged no match. It didn't blow up how the schoolyard riot did, but it was a kerfuffle.