Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The technology behind "Malcolm"  (Read 1123 times)

Mike Tennant

The technology behind "Malcolm"
« on: March 15, 2022, 11:36:38 AM »
Here's an article about Aniforms (among other things), a technique for creating cartoons on the fly that the article says was also used "on an unsold game show pilot hosted by Alex Trebek called Malcolm." The technique, which uses a foam figure with manipulation rods and wires, goes back to the early 1960s and was seen, perhaps most famously, on Captain Kangaroo. There's also this anecdote about the creator of Aniforms, Morey Bunin:

In the 1970s Bunin appeared along with two “impostors” as the creator of “live cartoons” on the long-running panel show To Tell the Truth. A smart-mouthed Brookynese Aniforms character ... took over the hosting duties and told each panelist when they could ask questions. When he got to Peggy “Crass” there was a big laugh at his rib at Peggy Cass, who feigned petulance and said, “Hey! I thought you were so cute before but now I’m not so sure!”

(Mods, feel free to move this to the Archive if you think it's worth saving. I wasn't sure where it belonged.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 08:25:36 AM by Mike Tennant »

thewhammy_2000

Re: The technology behind "Malcolm"
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 06:49:47 PM »
I first saw a character animated this way on an episode or two of Saget's AFHV years before seeing the Malcolm pilot.