Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS picks up Lingo  (Read 10931 times)

colonial

CBS picks up Lingo
« on: February 11, 2022, 01:05:36 PM »
https://deadline.com/2022/02/rupaul-charles-word-quiz-lingo-reboot-cbs-1234931785/

It was a question of when, not if, a network or streamer would try and reboot "Lingo" given the popularity of the online game "Wordle," but the winning network may be a surprise.

CBS, which has been reluctant to go all-in on prime-time game shows over the years, has signed up to launch a prime-time reboot of "Lingo" for later this year, with RuPaul Charles hosting ...

https://deadline.com/2022/02/rupaul-charles-word-quiz-lingo-reboot-cbs-1234931785/

JD

BrandonFG

Re: CBS picks up Lingo
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 01:45:17 PM »
In another thread I said I didn’t see a network touching this, and figured it would get picked up by GSN or a syndicator. I guess I’ll eat crow.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 02:44:30 PM »
Of course, with RuPaul hosting, you have to wonder whether the pace of the show is going to drag.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

nowhammies10

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 02:54:38 PM »
Of course, with RuPaul hosting, you have to wonder whether the pace of the show is going to drag.

Points!

In another thread I said I didn’t see a network touching this, and figured it would get picked up by GSN or a syndicator. I guess I’ll eat crow.

Tasty. T-A-S-T-Y. Though, to be fair, I didn't see CBS picking this up. I'd have figured Millsy would have been all over it for ABC.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 04:03:35 PM »
Hope they go back to small balls.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Bryce L.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 04:07:32 PM »
Hope they go back to small balls.
I don't think AC/DC would approve, but oh well.

SamJ93

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 05:56:12 PM »
Jokes aside, I wonder if they will go the route of the current UK version and just drop the bingo element altogether. Would be a tad disappointing, but not surprising.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Sodboy13

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 06:41:02 PM »
Jokes aside, I wonder if they will go the route of the current UK version and just drop the bingo element altogether. Would be a tad disappointing, but not surprising.
They're apparently filming in the UK, so for sake of continuity with RuPaul's other show, we aren't likely to see any balls at all.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 11:32:05 AM »
So RuPaul gets to host a show on a major network. I wonder how much the top prize will be?

tvwxman

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 12:15:00 PM »

They're apparently filming in the UK, so for sake of continuity with RuPaul's other show, we aren't likely to see any balls at all.
If that's the case, then I would expect this on the air quickly, striking while the World iron is hot. May sweeps perhaps?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 02:37:26 PM »
May sweeps perhaps?

I wouldn't think sweeps, given CBS hasn't had much luck with nighttime game shows. Maybe it gets Survivor's time slot after the spring season.

The new British version makes for a long hour. I miss the bingo element and the host is a bore--and his repeating the guess and the spelling is annoyingly stupid--but even an hour of Chuck's version might be a bit much.

Stackertosh

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 08:49:21 AM »
May sweeps perhaps?

I wouldn't think sweeps, given CBS hasn't had much luck with nighttime game shows. Maybe it gets Survivor's time slot after the spring season.

The new British version makes for a long hour. I miss the bingo element and the host is a bore--and his repeating the guess and the spelling is annoyingly stupid--but even an hour of Chuck's version might be a bit much.

I tried to watch an episode or two of the British Lingo and it dragged. I do miss the bingo element.

I always thought Lingo would be syndicated and teamed up with 25 words or less.

aaron sica

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2022, 09:30:23 AM »
I always thought Lingo would be syndicated and teamed up with 25 words or less.

That would have been something. For consistency, rename Lingo "5 words or less".

tyshaun1

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 09:01:00 AM »
Based on internet reaction of late to the NYT version, me thinks CBS needs to get this show on ASAP... I think the buzz on Wordle is going to be completely gone if they wait too long.

mmb5

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 06:45:06 PM »
Based on internet reaction of late to the NYT version, me thinks CBS needs to get this show on ASAP... I think the buzz on Wordle is going to be completely gone if they wait too long.
I'm still waiting for CBS' Draw Something pilot.  Any day now.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.