Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Casting call for NBC's "Password" remake  (Read 11732 times)

beatlefreak84

Re: Casting call for NBC's "Password" remake
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 02:31:02 PM »
IMHO, I'm not so sure the simple classic, original Password format can hang these days, especially in Primetime.
Sure, it's fun for a short 5-7 minute segment on The Tonight Show but not sure if it's going to be sustainable for a series. I know they like the Celebrity banter of the segments so they might hype that up a little as well but I envision it as too dry for today's audiences. I would be ok with it, but I'm not your average TV watcher. Now, that original format can be a part of it but in my mind there needs to be something else as well to make it hold onto viewers and mix it up some. I can envision a round(s) of classic Password, then maybe a few puzzles as in PP and SP. I think those are fun trying to figure out but I don't think it needs to be the entire format. I am thinking a hybrid of Classic and Puzzle Formats. I also think an Alphabetics type Bonus Round could be fun but so would a Lightning Round at the end for the prize. Maybe Alphabetics can be a part in some other way. I might be in the minority but in my mind there needs to be a little diversity in the format so your average viewer doesn't think it's stale. We will see what happens.

I kept thinking about this as well.  I completely agree that a shortened version on The Tonight Show makes sense because you can use the celebrities that are already there for the show, and then you can segue into interviews.  Plus, the game can be played more for funsies.

The way I see it, this show will go one of three ways:

-Be essentially 4 games/Lightning Rounds of "Vanilla Password", and that's just too bland.  It was even bland in the 1970s, and that's when you had only 30 minutes to fill.
-Not take the game seriously at all and focus way too much on Jimmy and the celebs chewing up the scenery.
-Take the game way too seriously and combine it with a Mega-Tension bonus round for big money that takes way too long to play.

Honestly, having seen Fallon for a long time, I am more fearful of #2 and trying to generate YouTube-worthy moments vs. the others.  That said, given that we still have ABC's Pyramid, there's another part of me that thinks Password is largely a relic of its time and can stay on Buzzr, with Pyramid (or even 25 Words or Less) really being the "modern-day" Password.

/Did that stop me from filling out a contestant application?  Nope...
//Will that stop me from watching it when it premieres?  Nope...

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 03:07:39 PM »
This may be asking a lot, but can we not pass judgment on the show before it even goes into production?
You must be new here. ;)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 03:52:10 PM »
This may be asking a lot, but can we not pass judgment on the show before it even goes into production? I think it sounds like it could be a really fun show. If something like Hollywood Game Night with its more casual party style atmosphere can last several seasons, I think this could work in that same vein.

To be perfectly fair, your post could be construed as the same - you're saying very early on that you're optimistic, while others want to be skeptical. Personally, I think it's all valid. It's a discussion board, after all. (And honestly, I scroll a lot in threads like these, when people get granular about what they hope to see.)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Fedya

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 03:53:25 PM »
The bookings for this will be the draw.

Serena Williams vs. William Shatner.

/ducking
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

snowpeck

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 04:17:35 PM »
This may be asking a lot, but can we not pass judgment on the show before it even goes into production? I think it sounds like it could be a really fun show. If something like Hollywood Game Night with its more casual party style atmosphere can last several seasons, I think this could work in that same vein.

To be perfectly fair, your post could be construed as the same - you're saying very early on that you're optimistic, while others want to be skeptical. Personally, I think it's all valid. It's a discussion board, after all. (And honestly, I scroll a lot in threads like these, when people get granular about what they hope to see.)

-Jason
Fair enough. I guess my main point was to not automatically say it's going to be bad because it's a classic show being made for a 21st century audience.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

bwood

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 07:53:21 PM »
Who in the thread said it was going to be "bad"? I don't see anyone passing judgment before the show airs. I just see a group of Game Show fans discussing their opinions on a.......discussion board.
I'm sure the show will be fine and I'm sure it's in good hands. My point was only that it could be bland in some people's eyes if they do only what they're doing on the Tonight Show segments. That being said I'm actually looking forward to see how it turns out! I'm pretty impressed with That's My Jam.

snowpeck

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2022, 12:19:38 AM »
Who in the thread said it was going to be "bad"? I don't see anyone passing judgment before the show airs. I just see a group of Game Show fans discussing their opinions on a.......discussion board.
We've done a good job of that here. I can't say the same for other places online.
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2022, 08:11:54 AM »

This is Password, not Snap Judgment.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

snowpeck

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2022, 05:13:05 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to stifle the conversation in this thread.

colonial

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2022, 03:28:32 PM »
Bumping this thread up as NBC announced that actress Keke Palmer will host NBC's "Password" revival ...

https://deadline.com/2022/04/keke-palmer-to-host-password-reboot-nbc-jimmy-fallon-1235000771/

No premiere date has been announced but per the article ....

-- Initial season will be eight episodes
-- First episode will be a tribute to Betty White
-- Jimmy Fallon will be the "permanent celebrity panelist"
-- The season finale will be a celebrity game for charity

JD

aaron sica

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2022, 03:46:42 PM »
Looks like the logo is more in vein of the old 60s PW, which should put to rest the speculation of it being like Super Password, etc.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2022, 03:47:34 PM »
I wouldn't hold your breath that it'll reflect anything about the finished product.

The password is: correct.

Per a post from Buzzr, here's the logo for the latest incarnation of the show:

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2022, 04:52:57 PM »
What's the deal with giving hosting jobs to women who have no business hosting game shows?  It's a sure road to failure.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2022, 05:02:55 PM »
Looks like the logo is more in vein of the old 60s PW, which should put to rest the speculation of it being like Super Password, etc.
Let's keep in mind that there's no correlation between logo and gameplay. Keep in mind they updated the 80s "worm" logo for the audition link, so it could just have been a function of "this logo looks modern with a touch of yesteryear"

What's the deal with giving hosting jobs to women who have no business hosting game shows?  It's a sure road to failure.
What's the deal with giving GSF accounts to people who have no business on mostly troll-free boards?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bryce L.

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2022, 05:06:13 PM »
WOW.