Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Casting call for NBC's "Password" remake  (Read 11767 times)

Bob Zager

Casting call for NBC's "Password" remake
« on: January 25, 2022, 01:28:36 PM »

JMFabiano

Re: Casting call for NBC's "Password" remake
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 02:44:43 PM »
I must say that is a super "new" logo...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 03:04:28 PM »
I must say that is a super "new" logo...

I wouldn't hold your breath that it'll reflect anything about the finished product. This wouldn't be the first (and certainly not the last) casting notice to use existing logos, etc. to advertise an upcoming show.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 04:48:02 PM »
Allen and Betty are smiling from above.

Sodboy13

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 11:38:39 PM »
I've said this before, but putting this in primetime for "BIG MONEY" feels like the wrong play here.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Unrealtor

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 11:42:32 AM »
I've said this before, but putting this in primetime for "BIG MONEY" feels like the wrong play here.

Depends on how NBC defines "big money." If you account for inflation, Password Plus' $5,000 per Alphabetics win in 1979 is equivalent to roughly $20,000 now, so $50K or $100K for a network prime time game without returning champions doesn't seem unreasonable by comparison, but it's still enough that you could call it big money.

That said, I would assume that there's a decent chance that NBC goes closer to The Wall's huge prize budget rather than the ABC revivals' comparatively modest ones.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 12:39:39 PM »

Depends on how NBC defines "big money." If you account for inflation, Password Plus' $5,000 per Alphabetics win in 1979 is equivalent to roughly $20,000 now, so $50K or $100K for a network prime time game without returning champions doesn't seem unreasonable by comparison, but it's still enough that you could call it big money.

That said, I would assume that there's a decent chance that NBC goes closer to The Wall's huge prize budget rather than the ABC revivals' comparatively modest ones.
That and Super Password gave out 50K+ on several occasions, and that was more than 30 years ago. I’m fine with a 25/50K top prize. I think we’re mostly past the era of overblown million dollar game shows.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jage

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 01:13:14 PM »
Agreed that taking the lighter approach that ABC has done for most of their games would probably work better than an overblown million dollar version, even though that worked decently a decade ago.
Do 2 or 3 password Plus Puzzles.
Then to determine the winner, do the WLOD format and have the team in the lead guess passwords for a minute, followed by the other team. Winner goes on to Alphabetics for $50K.

weaklink75

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 01:20:23 PM »

That and Super Password gave out 50K+ on several occasions, and that was more than 30 years ago. I’m fine with a 25/50K top prize. I think we’re mostly past the era of overblown million dollar game shows.

I'd think an Alphabetics bonus at $5K/word with it doubling to $100K for all ten would be fine- since you don't know what kind of a player your celeb partner would be, you'd get a relatively decent amount no matter what.

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 02:18:50 PM »
I don't feel like there's any sense hypothesizing on how the game will work, money amounts for Alphabetics, etc.

My prediction of what you're going to see here is plain, simple "Password" like it was in the 60s. No three-tier bonus round a la ABC Password, no Password Puzzles....Just "Password".

steveleb

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 06:36:01 AM »
If we’re going straight retro, which works on the show, why not simply play a lightning round that doesn’t use alphabetics?  You can play a longer clock and tweak the payoff and up the ante since the words wouldn’t be telegraphed with the first letter.  10 in 60 works.

Personally, I’d love to see a supersized version of the superimposed single handed clock with the glockenspiel countdown. 

The bookings for this will be the draw. Think of who played in 62 in prime time.  Movie legends.  Rising starlets.  Stage stars.  Anyone who is in the NBCU universe is fair game.  No reason we couldn’t see Dwayne Johnson against Ariana Grande. And don’t anyone say you won’t watch. And think of who else would that never heard of the Toaster Incident

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 08:07:02 AM »
Since The Rock has already hosted a pseudo game show on NBC (The Titan Games) this is not too far-fetched.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JMFabiano

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 11:54:47 AM »
Since The Rock has already hosted a pseudo game show on NBC (The Titan Games) this is not too far-fetched.

He also has a sitcom on the network, so....yeah. 

And given what the game was like on Fallon before, I do expect traditional PW rather than Plus, Super, or Million Dollar (TBH, thank God for the latter).
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

bwood

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 01:56:06 PM »
IMHO, I'm not so sure the simple classic, original Password format can hang these days, especially in Primetime.
Sure, it's fun for a short 5-7 minute segment on The Tonight Show but not sure if it's going to be sustainable for a series. I know they like the Celebrity banter of the segments so they might hype that up a little as well but I envision it as too dry for today's audiences. I would be ok with it, but I'm not your average TV watcher. Now, that original format can be a part of it but in my mind there needs to be something else as well to make it hold onto viewers and mix it up some. I can envision a round(s) of classic Password, then maybe a few puzzles as in PP and SP. I think those are fun trying to figure out but I don't think it needs to be the entire format. I am thinking a hybrid of Classic and Puzzle Formats. I also think an Alphabetics type Bonus Round could be fun but so would a Lightning Round at the end for the prize. Maybe Alphabetics can be a part in some other way. I might be in the minority but in my mind there needs to be a little diversity in the format so your average viewer doesn't think it's stale. We will see what happens.

snowpeck

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 02:15:13 PM »
This may be asking a lot, but can we not pass judgment on the show before it even goes into production? I think it sounds like it could be a really fun show. If something like Hollywood Game Night with its more casual party style atmosphere can last several seasons, I think this could work in that same vein.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)