Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire cancelled at ABC  (Read 2885 times)

Chuck Sutton

Millionaire cancelled at ABC
« on: January 20, 2022, 03:10:34 PM »
ABC announced they would more episodes in the foreseeable future.

https://tvline.com/2022/01/20/pooch-perfect-cancelled-abc-millionaire/

BrandonFG

Re: Millionaire cancelled at ABC
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 03:17:03 PM »
For this to be the show that more or less revitalized the genre 20+ years ago, this version felt like a throwaway show for ABC. Kinda like what they eventually did with Match Game; if one of their new dramas fails, just plug an episode in its place until something better comes along. I could be wrong, but I don't even remember seeing too many promos compared to the other Fun and Games shows.

His talk show is cool, but I also never warmed up to Jimmy Kimmel as host.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 06:05:33 PM »
Nobody could have predicted that an emphasis on celebrities playing Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? would fail to result in ratings success.

Stackertosh

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 07:43:37 PM »
The show was set to fail with the ever changing time slots and having celebrities. I am sure when things get quiet they are going to reboot the show again.

I wasn't really a fan of Jimmy hosting.  I just felt like he went though the motions.

From the article
"Per Deadline, ABC is leaving the door slightly ajar for Millionaire to return at some point in the future, although there are currently no plans to produce new episodes."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 08:01:38 PM by Stackertosh »

cmjb13

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 07:53:34 PM »
Nobody could have predicted that an emphasis on celebrities playing Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? would fail to result in ratings success.

What else did you expect from Mike Richards?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:34:59 PM »
In other news, there was a show called Pooch Perfect.

Maybe I'd have watched it if the first time I'd heard of it wasn't the announcement that they were cancelling it.

But probably not.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 11:54:45 AM »
Not just an emphasis on celebrities, but an emphasis on *only* the celebrity and whomever they brought as their +1. I think something that at least made the Regis celeb episodes fun were all the other celebrities chiming in on stage at the same time. Obviously, that couldn't happen because of the pandemic. Because of that, I wish they had considered going with regular contestants rather than going in on celebs with some frontline workers mixed in for S2.

I have a personal reason to be glad it was brought back in the first place, so I'm sad to see it go.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 05:23:52 PM »
Is Millionaire ever really cancelled?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 07:18:30 PM »
Every time the show is canceled, we have a new better version to look forward to. Although the Kimmel version fell short in a handful of different ways, it was a step back in the right direction compared to the last season of the syndicated show.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 10:51:11 PM »
Specifically what contributions did Jay Wolpert make to Millionaire?

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 11:25:16 PM »
He created the shuffle format from about 2010.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 11:27:07 PM »
Specifically what contributions did Jay Wolpert make to Millionaire?

I believe Wolpert came up with the format where the questions and dollar amounts were randomized before each contestant began the game. Towards the end of Meredith's run as host.