Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whew! Minutia  (Read 2736 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Whew! Minutia
« on: January 09, 2022, 08:47:06 PM »
Here is a question for you Whew! Minutiaheads.

Of all the times the main game was played, in what percentage of those playings did the charger run out of time without calling for a long shot?

TimK2003

Re: Whew! Minutia
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 09:00:22 PM »
Here is a question for you Whew! Minutiaheads.

Of all the times the main game was played, in what percentage of those playings did the charger run out of time without calling for a long shot?

Not percentages, but I believe in the group of episodes that have aired thus far, it seemed like an even toss-up for those who didn't watch the clock and could've called for a longshot with :01 left and those who hit blocks with less than :05 left on the clock -- maybe 7-10 rounds each???

And there was at least 1 or two chargers whose time ran out while stuck solving bloopers on level 6, where you cannot call for a longshot once you advance to that level.

And I do not believe that there has never been a round yet where a blocker did NOT initially place their final block on level 6, correct?

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 09:24:41 PM »
And I do not believe that there has never been a round yet where a blocker did NOT initially place their final block on level 6, correct?
Actually there was one, episode 131 (10/30/79)

tvmitch

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 11:53:35 AM »
Actually there was one, episode 131 (10/30/79)
I believe this one was by accident, too. The contestant rambled through his "10-20-30" pronouncement before Tom could give the Level 6 warning.
You should follow me on Twitter

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 01:12:10 PM »
Was there a rule about time remaining when calling a long shot? IOW, why couldn't a player call for a long shot with, say, 20 seconds remaining? Or 30? or 50?

As if Whew! needed another rule.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 02:15:10 PM »
Was there a rule about time remaining when calling a long shot? IOW, why couldn't a player call for a long shot with, say, 20 seconds remaining? Or 30? or 50?

I thought about that, and I don't believe there was ever one that was stated.  The earliest I recall seeing someone call "longshot" was with about 12 seconds left.  That surprised me because even if he'd gone on and hit a block, there'd still be enough time to call it after the 5 second penalty.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

snowpeck

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 02:57:28 PM »

There was no rule. However, there was incentive to wait as long as you can because a) you'd be racking up far less money on the board and b) you'd likely reduce your chances of finding a blooper on the top row from 2/3 to 1/3.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 12:12:10 AM »

Every $100 won during the main game added a second to the bonus round clock, so might as well run up the score and get another second or two against the Villains should you make it there.

JohnXXVII

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 02:15:18 AM »
What is the rule with calling "Long Shot!" and completing Level 5? Once you complete a blooper on Level 5, are you immediately forced to go to Level 6 or can you still call "Long Shot"?

Also, Tom and Rod say that the contestants will win $25,000 in cash. Is the "in cash" part for real? Would the producers actually pay the winning contestants $25,000 in cash, no check?

Bryce L.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 02:22:45 AM »
What is the rule with calling "Long Shot!" and completing Level 5? Once you complete a blooper on Level 5, are you immediately forced to go to Level 6 or can you still call "Long Shot"?
You can still call Longshot as long as you haven't called "Level 6" first.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 02:27:27 AM »
Once you complete a blooper on Level 5, are you immediately forced to go to Level 6 or can you still call "Long Shot"?

If I recall correctly, you may call for a longshot anytime prior to having selected level 6. As such, if you just completed level 5 and see you're just about out of time, you may call for a longshot.

Edited to add: yes, per this post that is correct, as is what Bryce L. posted as I was creating my reply. Here's the wording of the rule:

11. When charging, I may call for the Longshot while on any of the first five levels of the board.  A Longshot may not be called on the sixth level.  The moment I call “Level Six,” I am committed to the sixth level.

Would the producers actually pay the winning contestants $25,000 in cash, no check?

I believe the "in cash" part is to make it clear that it's a money prize instead of products, vacations, etc. I don't think they kept a safe full of hundred dollar bills on hand to pay the winners -- I'm sure they'd be paid by check.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 08:41:09 AM »
Would the producers actually pay the winning contestants $25,000 in cash, no check?

I believe the "in cash" part is to make it clear that it's a money prize instead of products, vacations, etc. I don't think they kept a safe full of hundred dollar bills on hand to pay the winners -- I'm sure they'd be paid by check.

Michael Larson's request excepted (and of course what happened to said bills?)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 03:18:38 PM »

CBS would cut the check and the amount would be debited against the Whew! prize budget. CBS also had to have IRS form W-9 on file for the contestant so they could receive a 1099-Misc for their winnings.

UNLESS

... it was for a syndicated or "nighttime" show such as FF, MG, TPIR, Narz Concentration, etc. Then it was the production company's responsibility.

$25,000 in 1979 is worth approximately $96,500 in 2021. Amazon sells a package of 175 York Peppermint Patties for $28. They could have awarded the contestant 3,446 packages of 175 patties. I guess that counts as a "lifetime supply". CBS would have received its customary fee for the product plug.