Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Definition returns!  (Read 5666 times)

RyanCDN

Definition returns!
« on: January 04, 2022, 11:06:22 AM »
The Canadian classic is available on bonusround.ca.  There are 10 introductory episodes with many to come.  This has not been seen in years outside of the few episodes that are on youtube. Price is minimal, but worth taking a look at if you enjoyed this punny little show.

-Ryan
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:42:03 PM by RyanCDN »
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: Definition returns!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 11:27:52 AM »
Splendid stuff. And it turns out there are 400 masters still existing?? Incredible, great work tracking it down by the owner Craig!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:06:10 PM by Blanquepage »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 11:35:11 AM »
This is absolutely delightful, and probably enough for me to pull the trigger on this charming little Canadian operation.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

RyanCDN

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 02:44:32 PM »
Splendid stuff. And it turns out there are 400 masters still existing?? Incredible, great work tracking it down by the owner Craig!

Absolutely.  I have supported it from the inception even if I sometimes forget to watch, but this is certainly the golden nugget.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 03:30:09 PM »
I was just binging the Youtube episodes as of late. WOW.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 08:38:38 PM »
On one of his youtube postings, it's also mentioned that 37 Mad Dash masters are coming his way.  Looks like there's a lot more that exists than was stated on The Search for Canada's Game Shows specials.  To be fair, I'm sure that's the info the producers had at the time.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

catnap1972

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 09:23:31 PM »
Maybe they're unearth more Pitfall at some point?  Can't believe it's all toast aside from what they've got (and what circulates)

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 10:26:05 PM »
Maybe they're unearth more Pitfall at some point?  Can't believe it's all toast aside from what they've got (and what circulates)
I thought the large number of episodes came from Global/US syndication reruns c. 1986? Would love to see some LMAD80 show up as well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Allstar87

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 02:10:26 AM »

That very topic came up a few months ago. There may be hope for Pitfall yet...scroll to reply #7.
http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,33504.0.html

If Craig could find and share hundreds of Definition episodes that everyone thought were long gone, anything is possible!

SuperSweeper

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 04:20:48 PM »
If this is not an appropriate place, I can start a spin-off thread.

Bonusround.ca has also uncovered “dozens of episodes” of LMAD80, which is pretty rare (they only have three episodes currently). They plan to add them in the spring.

EDIT: I see this is also mentioned in the Videos sub forum.

gamed121683

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 05:36:42 PM »

Bonusround.ca has also uncovered “dozens of episodes” of LMAD80, which is pretty rare (they only have three episodes currently). They plan to add them in the spring.

Going from a earlier post in this thread by BrandonFG...wish granted! This is incredible what Canadian game show rarities have popped up in the last couple of weeks. First Definition and now the 1980 LMAD? I don't know who's running this BonusRound.ca site, but I feel this deserves a documentary in itself. How a website devoted to Canadian game shows has unearthed these gems that for years were considered lost. I'd watch just for the detective work in how they pulled it off alone.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:29:35 PM by gamed121683 »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 11:33:20 PM »

I don't know who's running this BonusRound.ca site, but I feel this deserves a documentary in itself. How a website devoted to Canadian game shows has unearthed these gems that for years were considered lost. I'd watch just for the detective work in how they pulled it off alone.

Craig Gibson, and he's a swell fellow. And...if anyone in contact with GSN's librarian can help him find the USA Chain Reaction and Jackpot tapes that can't seem to be located, that'd be great. Seriously.
(Bumper Stumpers seems to be accounted for, at least)

catnap1972

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 10:35:46 PM »
Not necessarily a "rarity" but he's also adding the first season of "Talk About" in the spring.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 10:42:04 AM »
I don't know who's running this BonusRound.ca site, but I feel this deserves a documentary in itself. How a website devoted to Canadian game shows has unearthed these gems that for years were considered lost. I'd watch just for the detective work in how they pulled it off alone.

Not just "unearthed", though yes, that alone would be interesting enough.  But this guy is also somehow getting them digitized AND acquiring rights to use them?  We'd always been told that digitizing was a prohibitive expense, yet somehow we havehundreds of Definition and all the other only slightly more recent stuff, and all he takes in is $5 a month from a handful of die-hard fans?  The math is not working out for me here.  If this is a viable model, why aren't American entities doing this?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 11:06:05 AM »

Not just "unearthed", though yes, that alone would be interesting enough.  But this guy is also somehow getting them digitized AND acquiring rights to use them?  We'd always been told that digitizing was a prohibitive expense, yet somehow we havehundreds of Definition and all the other only slightly more recent stuff, and all he takes in is $5 a month from a handful of die-hard fans?  The math is not working out for me here.  If this is a viable model, why aren't American entities doing this?

What's more puzzling to me is that for stations like Game TV or CHCH (which airs retro shows during daytime hours), sometimes the announcer will say something like "this show is brought to you by BonusRound.ca, streaming the best of Canadian game shows".  During the announcement, they'll show stills of show openings like Definition, Mad Dash, Kids Street, Liars Club, etc.

I wonder what the deal is that he's getting his website mentioned on national television.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!