Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Long-running champions with unusually low winnings  (Read 3633 times)

Allstar87

Re: Long-running champions with unusually low winnings
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 11:06:49 PM »
On Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour, a gentleman named Ron won the full 5 days, but was incredibly unlucky in the Super Match. The only time he won it was when $2,000 was at stake. Even worse, his final Super Match was for $30,000. The question was "_____ GOOSE"; Ron said "cooked", Gloria Loring said "mother".

His final total was $7,475...he was the only retired champion who never crossed the five-digit mark.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 01:14:58 PM »
It's quite common in Italy because gameshows here often have no participation limit and pay only bonus round winners.  About 20 years ago a 79-times champion of Name That Tune famously failed to complete any single Golden Medley, netting him a grand total of €0. 

JMFabiano

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 02:54:14 PM »
Is now racking my brains for any Card Sharks examples. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 05:16:57 PM »
Is now racking my brains for any Card Sharks examples.

Risha (Spring 79) won $7,175 and retired a 7-time champion with some abhorrent luck.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 10:06:45 PM »
It's quite common in Italy because gameshows here often have no participation limit and pay only bonus round winners.  About 20 years ago a 79-times champion of Name That Tune famously failed to complete any single Golden Medley, netting him a grand total of €0. 

I don’t know what’s the more stunning fact: that he won 79 games or that he didn’t win the bonus once.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2022, 08:20:51 AM »

In my head, I hear "about 20 years ago" and I think it happened in the 80s some time. Then I realize that Ken Jennings' 74-game streak is knocking on 20 years ago.

JMFabiano

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »

In my head, I hear "about 20 years ago" and I think it happened in the 80s some time. Then I realize that Ken Jennings' 74-game streak is knocking on 20 years ago.

Yeah, off topic but reminds me about how I was abhorred to hear "...Baby One More Time" on CBS-FM the other day.  Then I realize that it too is 20+ years...same age a lot of the 50s hits were when the station started.

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2022, 11:30:55 AM »

A couple months ago, my fiancée and I were watching J! and Mayim referred to Ken’s streak being 17 years ago. We both had to stop and do the math, and still didn’t believe what we just heard.

I could make some analogies about the stuff I watched on USA/FAM/GSN in the 90s was only a few years old at the time, but I won’t ruin anyone’s Sunday morning. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 11:40:57 AM »
Yeah, off topic but reminds me about how I was abhorred to hear "...Baby One More Time" on CBS-FM the other day.  Then I realize that it too is 20+ years...same age a lot of the 50s hits were when the station started.

Chew on this…When GSN first launched, MG74 was 20 years old.