Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Long-running champions with unusually low winnings  (Read 3624 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Long-running champions with unusually low winnings
« on: December 30, 2021, 09:51:08 PM »
We've had Jeopardy! champions the last few years go on lengthy winning streaks and racking up close to or over a million dollars.  It make me think about people who had long reigns which were essentially slow grinds.  Three people come to mind:

1.  Ray Winston, who won about 10 games on Double Dare in 1977 and only accumulated just over $7000.

2.  I don't know the name but I recall someone on Match Game around 1975 or 1976 who won at least a dozen games but also didn't sniff the all-time money record at the time.

3.  Nancy Wagner, on the Password '75 episode discovered in the summer of 2020.  Betty White mentioned at the start of the show that she had appeared for 14 days with a hair over $18,000 in winnings.

I'm sure the collective hivemind can come up with others.

Ian Wallis

Re: Long-running champions with unusually low winnings
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 10:01:28 PM »

2.  I don't know the name but I recall someone on Match Game around 1975 or 1976 who won at least a dozen games but also didn't sniff the all-time money record at the time.

It was a gentleman named George, who appeared at the end of '76 and beginning of '77.  He won (I think) 14 games, but just a little over $16,000 - which was a lot for that time.  He kept whiffing on the super match when $5000 was at stake, but usually won when it was $1000.  It was during his reign that they had two male contestants play each other for the only time in that version's history.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 10:01:38 PM »
1.  Ray Winston, who won about 10 games on Double Dare in 1977 and only accumulated just over $7000.
Doing a little math here... I know winning a game brought with it $500 minimum, and thus ten victories would ring up $5,000... which is also how much knocking off the Spoilers would award. Did Ray keep striking out with them or something?

colonial

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 10:06:19 PM »

In the UK, there was a show in the late 90s/early 2000s called "100%" that was similar in form to GSN's "Inquizition." Three contestants answered 100 multiple choice or T/F questions, with the winning player receiving 100 pounds and getting the chance to defend their title next show. A guy named Ian Lygo won 75 times on the show, winning 7,500 pounds for his troubles.

JD

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 10:47:16 PM »
How well did Joe Dunn do against the Devil? I would have to imagine most of his winnings were front game and any cars he got from milestones.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 11:19:21 PM »
We can math it out. He won no less than $8,000 in front games and probably not more than $9,000. His three cars are between $15,000 and $16,000. So at most that puts him at $25,000. If a bonus win averaged $4,000 that means he had to win at least ten of his sixteen tries to get to $66,200, not counting a bailout at some point.

*Eileen Jason took ten wins to get to $39,500 and I don’t remember if she got to fifteen wins, so the rest of the way to $55k had to be bonus wins.

Source, YouTube.
Yes, you could pile up rather a lot of money on Joker’s Wild, but it was a slow boat.
Travis L. Eberle

CarpetCrawler

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 11:34:52 PM »
I always think of Alan Emrick on Whew!  I traded for all of his run, watched it all in one sitting, and had no idea until I watched them that he never actually won on the Gauntlet.
- CC Kirby

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 11:37:44 PM »
I always think of Alan Emrick on Whew!  I traded for all of his run, watched it all in one sitting, and had no idea until I watched them that he never actually won on the Gauntlet.
Howard Wilson only piled up about seven grand in six wins before his bonanza—I think Alan would have won another thousand given a sixth whack at it, to say nothing of maybe a successful gauntle5 run.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer

whewfan

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 03:52:03 AM »
Doing a little math here... I know winning a game brought with it $500 minimum, and thus ten victories would ring up $5,000... which is also how much knocking off the Spoilers would award. Did Ray keep striking out with them or something?

Ray never won against the spoilers. He was still one of the best players of the short lived series.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 11:26:02 AM »
The key word is 'about'.  It's been almost 15 years since I saw his run on GSN.  He may have won 8 or 9.  He did strike out at The Spoilers on at least one occasion.  For as good as he was in the main game, he was the exact opposite versus The Spoilers.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 11:35:55 AM »
Sandy Mumbach won sixteen games on The $20,000 Pyramid before finally summiting the Winner's Circle.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 12:29:43 PM »
Alice Conkright, before winning it all.  Her MO was win everything and buy nothing.  Thus, all her winnings at the start of her final game were acquired through the Fame Game.

alfonzos

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 04:14:23 PM »
My friend, Alan Emrich (with an 'h') confirms five unsuccessful gauntlet runs with over $5K in winnings.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

mmb5

Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.