Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Banzai  (Read 6416 times)

Neumms

Banzai
« on: January 26, 2004, 11:42:40 PM »
If I remember correctly, some of us liked "Banzai," the short-lived faux-Japanese import on Fox, and some of us didn't. It struck me that a prime time broadcast audience might not get it, but it could develop a bit of a following on a cable network, such as Spike, Comedy Central, or--dare I say it--the new all-game GSN.

Does this seem logical? Anyone hear anything about it? They could just run the show as aired in Britain, couldn't they?

BrandonFG

Banzai
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 02:36:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 11:42 PM\'] If I remember correctly, some of us liked "Banzai," the short-lived faux-Japanese import on Fox, and some of us didn't. It struck me that a prime time broadcast audience might not get it, but it could develop a bit of a following on a cable network, such as Spike, Comedy Central, or--dare I say it--the new all-game GSN.

Does this seem logical? Anyone hear anything about it? They could just run the show as aired in Britain, couldn't they? [/quote]
 It could probably make for a nice companion for Most Extreme Challenge, or whatever it's called on Spike. Honestly, since GSN is branching out, that wouldn't seem like a bad idea as you mentioned.

Do they still do the Bansai inserts on USA?...come to think of it, does USA even do weekend movies anymore?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Banzai
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 08:56:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 11:42 PM\'] Does this seem logical? Anyone hear anything about it? They could just run the show as aired in Britain, couldn't they? [/quote]
 They could. Two things to keep in mind: the British version is a fair bit racier (dickoon: did they ever have actual nudity?), and also makes liberal use of British D-list celebrities that few Americans would recognize.
@lambertman

vtown7

Banzai
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 10:50:18 AM »
Chris L! (and others)

The UK original two series ran up here in Canada on a Wednesday late night slot on CITY TV.  Yes, there was nudity, in fact I seem to remember a few times there were occasions (men and women).  There was also one game on the Season Two Christmas special that IMHO, will never ever see the light of day here in the states.

Yes, as well they make use of alot of UK celebs that we've never heard of, but some like Ant & Dec and Bob Holeness (sp?) of Blockbusters would have some appeal to alot of people on this group.  Sometimes they've used Americans too.

I kinda like that coming to the new GSN... just hope they don't run it into the ground like Spike is doing with MXC.

With all that being said, I hope they show the UK version, but again, they'd have to run it in the later hours I would imagine.

Cheers,

Ryan.

tommycharles

Banzai
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 01:22:48 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Jan 27 2004, 10:50 AM\'] Chris L! (and others)

The UK original two series ran up here in Canada on a Wednesday late night slot on CITY TV.  Yes, there was nudity, in fact I seem to remember a few times there were occasions (men and women).  There was also one game on the Season Two Christmas special that IMHO, will never ever see the light of day here in the states.

Yes, as well they make use of alot of UK celebs that we've never heard of, but some like Ant & Dec and Bob Holeness (sp?) of Blockbusters would have some appeal to alot of people on this group.  Sometimes they've used Americans too.

I kinda like that coming to the new GSN... just hope they don't run it into the ground like Spike is doing with MXC.

With all that being said, I hope they show the UK version, but again, they'd have to run it in the later hours I would imagine.

Cheers,

Ryan. [/quote]
 Hmm...and this game was?

Oh, didn't Pat Sharp (UK Funhouse host) appear in a couple of games?

Neumms

Banzai
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 05:10:49 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Jan 27 2004, 08:56 AM\']
They could. Two things to keep in mind: the British version is a fair bit racier (dickoon: did they ever have actual nudity?) [/quote]
 Ooh, I remember now. In New Zealand, they used chunks of the show to fill out the hour after a rugby match, and they did a bit with five men in Speedos, one of which was naturally endowed, the other four were Kleenex enhanced.

Or wait, was that on Fox?

Or Billy Bush's LMAD?

vtown7

Banzai
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 10:21:26 AM »
Hmm...and this game was?

I'm really not sure if it's polite to share what the content was on this forum...

Oh, didn't Pat Sharp (UK Funhouse host) appear in a couple of games?

I actually met Pat a couple of years ago and yes, he was in one game.  It was a contest to see if he or a "genuine german" could hold their breath longer.  The german won :)

He stated that they called him up, offered him a few hundred pounds to show up a pool and do the game.  He assured me it wasn't rigged!

Cheers,

Ryan :)

TravisP

Banzai
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 05:01:06 PM »
Comedy Central has now picked up the episodes of Banzai which will consist of the six episodes shown on FOX along with another ten episodes being ordered:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds13617.html

uncamark

Banzai
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 07:08:35 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 05:01 PM\']Comedy Central has now picked up the episodes of Banzai which will consist of the six episodes shown on FOX along with another ten episodes being ordered:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds13617.html[/quote]
On the other hand, this article from Variety states that the ten episodes COM is purchasing include the six eps Fox already aired and that COM has an option to have RDF make more.

I assume that they'll air the first-run eps first.