Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mayim and Ken to host J! through Season 38  (Read 6000 times)

colonial

Re: Mayim and Ken to host J! through Season 38
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 03:12:28 PM »
Here is the official announcement ...

https://deadline.com/2022/07/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-ken-jennings-deals-season-39-hosting-schedule-celebrity-jeopardy-abc-1235079138/

Cliffs Notes version ...

-- Ken will host first stretch of Season 39 episodes, with taping resuming next week
-- Mayim will take over from January through the end of the season

-- Ken will host the Second Chance Tournament (which will air on the syndie side) as well as the TOC.
-- Mayim to host Celebrity J!, the National College Championship and "a couple of new tournaments."

-- Michael Davies will launch a J! podcast
-- J! will also release a three-minute highlight recap of episodes on its website beginning Monday

JD

weaklink75

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 03:19:30 PM »
Here is the official announcement ...

https://deadline.com/2022/07/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-ken-jennings-deals-season-39-hosting-schedule-celebrity-jeopardy-abc-1235079138/

Cliffs Notes version ...

-- Ken will host first stretch of Season 39 episodes, with taping resuming next week

-- Ken will host the Second Chance Tournament (which will air on the syndie side) as well as the TOC.
-- Mayim to host Celebrity J!, the National College Championship and "a couple of new tournaments."

-- Michael Davies will launch a J! podcast
-- J! will also release a three-minute highlight recap of episodes on its website beginning Monday

JD

The podcast sounds interesting- on the first episode next week Michael Davies plans to announce the players in the Second Chance Tournament and his vision for the future of the show.

Repeat season this year will be "best of the season" instead of tournament reruns (close games, shows involving the super-champs, shows involving players in the 2nd Chance Tournament, etc.)

inturnaround

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 03:43:10 PM »

That's not exactly what he said. Direct quote from MD, "When she takes over from Ken in January, the current plan is to have her host a couple of new tournaments as well as the Jeopardy! National College Championship and as many weeks as she can manage with her other primetime commitment to “Call Me Kat.” We know you value consistency, so we will not flip flop the hosts constantly and will keep you informed about the hosting schedule."

So they'll have longer runs than a couple of weeks here and there, but "Call Me Kat" is in first position for her and they're still accommodating that schedule.

Also he dropped the idea of a Jeopardy! Masters league in primetime or streaming as his pet project. That has JenKennings written all over it for the host slot. Perfectly made for ABC or Hulu.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

inturnaround

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2022, 03:45:23 PM »
Here's a link to MD's update entitled "A NOTE FROM JEOPARDY! EP MICHAEL DAVIES: NEW HOSTS AND NEW INITIATIVES" with all the updates from the horse's mouth.

They really did fail upwards after Mike Richards' leaving, didn't they? J! is in good hands for the long haul.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

JohnXXVII

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2022, 05:26:10 PM »
I don't like the new executive producer trying to sell Jeopardy as a sport. That idea gets old fast. It's a game show.

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2022, 05:54:30 PM »
I wouldn’t read too much into the statement, and I think Michael is aware that it’s still a game show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2022, 08:36:47 PM »
I wouldn’t read too much into the statement, and I think Michael is aware that it’s still a game show.

+1

colonial

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2022, 01:06:15 PM »
Here is a look at the players for the Second Chance Tournaments ....

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/2022/second-chance

And we do mean tournaments, as there will be two, one-week tournaments consisting of nine players each week.

The two winners will advance to the TOC, which also brings up more questions as ....

12 contestants with at least five wins in regular play
1 College Championship winner
1 Professors Tournament winner
2 Second Chance winners

... equals 16 contestants for the TOC. Of course, J! can decide who they want to invite to the shindig, but I'm curious if we may see changes in the TOC format this fall.

JD

weaklink75

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2022, 03:07:49 PM »

The two winners will advance to the TOC, which also brings up more questions as ....

12 contestants with at least five wins in regular play
1 College Championship winner
1 Professors Tournament winner
2 Second Chance winners

... equals 16 contestants for the TOC. Of course, J! can decide who they want to invite to the shindig, but I'm curious if we may see changes in the TOC format this fall.

JD

Maybe one of the other 14 had to decline an invite for some reason (wouldn’t be available for the taping dates due to a prior commitment etc.) thus the 2 spots were available for 2nd Chance winners…