Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Deal or No Deal...  (Read 1962 times)

Brig Bother

Your Deal or No Deal...
« on: February 27, 2004, 09:17:11 AM »
Mediaguardian link

Patrick Kielty hosted Fame Academy and Last Chance Lottery over here. Er, good luck.

zachhoran

Your Deal or No Deal...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 09:23:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Feb 27 2004, 09:17 AM\'] Mediaguardian link

Patrick Kielty hosted Fame Academy and Last Chance Lottery over here. Er, good luck. [/quote]
 English folk have handled US game shows before, he might do well, if and when of course the show does air on ABC over here(the US series has been postponed from a March airing IIRC)

Brig Bother

Your Deal or No Deal...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 09:42:01 AM »
Well he's Irish, but never mind.

He's also well known as a chat show host, so I wonder if this is a potential stepping stone.

dickoon

Your Deal or No Deal...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 12:20:31 AM »
Seems a very strange choice to me. Even if you specified that the host was going to come from the British Isles, I doubt Kielty would have been in the top 50 most logical choices. Top 100 probably, top 50 probably not.

The guy is pretty good at what he does; he can ad lib acceptably well, he has a reasonable sort of stage presence, he is used to the big occasion and he knows how to show empathy. However, he's very young, especially by USA game show host terms, he's very slight, he's very lightweight. He's really not the sort of person you'd think of as a host for a (multi-)million dollar game show. It's hard to believe he might get to hand a cheque for a million dollars across, he doesn't have the authority. He also has a relatively strong accent; not problematically so - no more problematic than, say, Anne Robinson. The Irish accent might go down better than the British one in the US.

However, the worst problem the guy has is that he is unlucky; his shows consistently do less well in the UK than any logic suggests they should. Admittedly his chat show has lasted six years, which doesn't happen by accident, but has never been a big draw; Pop Idol has always got a lot of attention from the BBC, but I don't know how much credit Kielty can take from it. Oh, and there was The Big Ticket, which is one of the textbook examples of high-profile game show disasters.

I hope it goes well for him, but the omens aren't favourable. Fingers crossed!

bttritle

Your Deal or No Deal...
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 02:52:18 AM »
I'd blame his agent more than I'd blame Patrick.  The Big Ticket format was just crap, and really didn't provide for much since his interaction with the contestant and celebrities were limited to the final round (which was still cool).  

Last Chance Lottery on the other hand was really funny, but spent a lot of time re-tooling more than anything else, since it wasn't a fixed format, but more like the old "Fantasy" show hosted by Peter Marshall and Leslie Uggams.  His humor was quite evident though (and I can't, to this day, hear "Creep" without thinking of his "rendition").

Ben T.

Brig Bother

Your Deal or No Deal...
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 09:09:57 AM »
The Big Ticket is quite interesting in that it has roots in a variety of European programmes all based on the same thing and all made by the same people (people doing physical and mental challenges for a shot at opening the safe with big money inside.) (Oh, and I really should check this out before saying that this is tacitally correct, but I beleive Endemol had a hand in these). The Big Ticket nicked some of the games (which weren't really a problem. I loved the lift race at the beginning, for example) but ruined the structure.

Last Chance Lottery was great, but I'd say it had more to do with C4 thinking "Oh! Chris Evans isn't wanting to do megahit Don't Forget Your Toothbrush any more. What can we do that's quite similar to fill in the slot?" than a particular wanting to be original or anything, as that's what it had most in common with. I'd be very surprised if Chris Evans took an old US show as a starting point for Toothbrush...

NickS

Your Deal or No Deal...
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 09:55:42 AM »
I'm all for it; I mean, other than money, what does ABC stand to lose?

Their ratings are consistently third overall, so taking chances is a good thing, IMO.