Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sweater wearing game show hosts trend  (Read 7352 times)

Mike Tennant

Re: Sweater wearing game show hosts trend
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 09:27:19 AM »
Bob Eubanks was wearing sweaters as early as All-Star Secrets (sometimes with a suit jacket, sometimes not).

Peter Tomarken was wearing sweater vests with his suit jackets for a time on PYL as well, IIRC.
As did Bowzer on MGHS.

calliaume

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 04:05:46 PM »
Bob Eubanks was wearing sweaters as early as All-Star Secrets (sometimes with a suit jacket, sometimes not).

Peter Tomarken was wearing sweater vests with his suit jackets for a time on PYL as well, IIRC.
As did Bowzer on MGHS.
The difference there is Eubanks almost never wore a tie on All-Star Secrets. Peter Tomarken and Jon Bauman wore them regularly.

The originator of the early 1980s sport coat, sweater, and tie trend wasn't a game show host--it was the CBS Evening News' Dan Rather.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1982/02/08/the-pull-of-the-pullover/c14e3d00-31dd-4202-b0a2-a7f52df3c036/

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 10:01:18 AM »
This made me wonder, what started this trend in the first place? Were they trying to emulate Bert Convy's fashion sense on Win, Lose, or Draw at that time with that "Hey, we're playing at someone's home and you're invited!" feel or was it just the en vogue thing for men of the day (looking at you, Cliff Huxtable)?
Maybe the style of sweater was inspired by Cosby, but sweaters were definitely part of the "yuppies having game night" aesthetic of the mid-late 1980s. The "staged shot of people playing the game" on the back of board game boxes from then almost always has someone wearing a sweater like that.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Stackertosh

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 10:07:15 AM »
I was amazed watching Millionaire in another country and seeing the host wear jeans and a dress shirt on.

Amitabh Bachchan dresses down on KBC in India from time to time. Pretty sure I've seen Tarrant wearing a leather jacket at some point. (Maybe it was a leather blazer.)

Robert ten brink on The Dutch Version wears jeans and dress up shirt or suit top.

aaron sica

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 10:16:54 AM »
Sweaters were everywhere in the late '80s/early '90s. I distinctly remember NFL coaches wearing their team sweaters on the sideline.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 02:20:32 PM »
And back to Supermarket Sweep: Dale Winton (UK) also hosted in either a leather or denim jacket; early in the run, it was all suits.

But on the current Greek version…oh, you’re gonna have to watch them for yourself on YouTube!

/Tino Monte (Canada) could've worn sweaters himself
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 09:50:28 PM by johnnya2k3 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 03:13:29 PM »
As I recall Paul Winchell wore turtlenecks on Runaround back in 1972.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 03:14:34 PM »
I realize precious few of you will care, but when I did QuizBusters, I always wore a suit.  When we started a middle school version we called QB Jr, I would wear sweaters for that.

/Old man remembering the old days
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Fedya

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 03:48:25 PM »
I think we're all just relieved you were wearing clothes at all.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

SuperMatch93

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 06:09:41 PM »
As I recall Paul Winchell wore turtlenecks on Runaround back in 1972.

Interesting, so I guess he would predate Geoff Edwards as the first host to go tieless.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2021, 07:42:03 PM »
Sweaters were everywhere in the late '80s/early '90s. I distinctly remember NFL coaches wearing their team sweaters on the sideline.

I would love to see those come back in some form. I wanted one like Bill Parcells had, I’m not gonna lie.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2021, 07:50:22 PM »

I would love to see those come back in some form. I wanted one like Bill Parcells had, I’m not gonna lie.
I was always partial to Mike Ditka's sweater, which he somehow pulled off with a blazer.

Wouldn't mind seeing coaches return to wearing suits for old time's sake. Former 49ers coach Mike Nolan did it for a short time, but it never caught on. I imagine it might be hell on a coach in a state like Florida, tho.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2021, 09:56:19 PM »
Wouldn't mind seeing coaches return to wearing suits for old time's sake. Former 49ers coach Mike Nolan did it for a short time, but it never caught on. I imagine it might be hell on a coach in a state like Florida, tho.
It's not happening until Nike makes swoosh-adorned suit jackets.  It's all about money and partnerships.

We could use a style icon like Tom Landry nowadays...

Jamey Greek

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2021, 01:45:21 AM »
The sweater trend probably started with Family Ties and Alex P. Keaton

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2021, 02:14:22 PM »
It's not happening until Nike makes swoosh-adorned suit jackets.  It's all about money and partnerships.

We could use a style icon like Tom Landry nowadays...
Reebok (the sponsor at the time) had to special-design that suit for Nolan (and I believe Jack Del Rio had one as well).  Other than that, yeah, coaches have been required to wear team merch since 1993.