Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sweater wearing game show hosts trend  (Read 7209 times)

gamed121683

Sweater wearing game show hosts trend
« on: November 23, 2021, 01:38:50 PM »
For this post, I'll give you two questions for the price of one...

1. You may recall that in the late '80s-early '90s, game show hosts trading in wearing suits for sweaters. Ray Combs was wearing them for a time on Feud as was Trebek on Classic Concentration...even the early episodes of Supermarket Sweep had David Ruprecht look like he was raiding through Mike Levey's closet.

This made me wonder, what started this trend in the first place? Were they trying to emulate Bert Convy's fashion sense on Win, Lose, or Draw at that time with that "Hey, we're playing at someone's home and you're invited!" feel or was it just the en vogue thing for men of the day (looking at you, Cliff Huxtable)?

2. Speaking of Win, Lose, or Draw, I was talking about that show with a friend of mine the other day and this question came up. See if you agree with me on this one or not: Do you feel that Win, Lose, or Draw was perhaps the last big game show craze that swept America until Millionaire came along in '99-'00? Some would argue that Wheel was the last major game show obsession, but...I seem to recall Burt Renoylds' Pictionary capturing America's imagination for a time.

BrandonFG

Re: Sweater wearing game show hosts trend
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 01:53:22 PM »
See if you agree with me on this one or not: Do you feel that Win, Lose, or Draw was perhaps the last big game show craze that swept America until Millionaire came along in '99-'00? Some would argue that Wheel was the last major game show obsession, but...I seem to recall Burt Renoylds' Pictionary capturing America's imagination for a time.
I'd make an argument for Jeopardy! somewhere in-between there. It became iconic on a different level in the last 15-20 years (Jenningsmania, maybe?), but IMO it had its moment in the early-90s as well, long before SNL started doing the Celebrity J! sketches. If I could pinpoint, I'd say around the time the Cheers episode aired. The think music alone and how it's been used in pop culture adds to this.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Winkfan

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 04:19:39 PM »
This made me wonder, what started this trend in the first place? Were they trying to emulate Bert Convy's fashion sense on Win, Lose, or Draw at that time with that "Hey, we're playing at someone's home and you're invited!" feel or was it just the en vogue thing for men of the day (looking at you, Cliff Huxtable)?

The Winkster wore sweaters during his 1989 gig on The Last Word.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

mystery7

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 01:28:57 PM »
It was absolutely The Cosby Show. I suspect some wardrobe supervisor at Goodsons thought The Cosby Sweaters would be a good vibe for Alex and/or Classic Concentration itself, and from there it spread.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 01:55:35 PM »
I think Bob was ahead of everyone else with Trivia Trap. Pretty sure he also occasionally wore them when he went more casual on Newlywed Game  '98, along with just dress shirts and no jacket.

Edit: just remembered Bobby Van on Showoffs.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 02:44:56 PM by Blanquepage »

Stackertosh

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 02:26:04 PM »
I remember seeing Richard Karn wore sweaters or dressed down on Feud.

I was amazed watching Millionaire in another country and seeing the host wear jeans and a dress shirt on.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »
I was amazed watching Millionaire in another country and seeing the host wear jeans and a dress shirt on.

Amitabh Bachchan dresses down on KBC in India from time to time. Pretty sure I've seen Tarrant wearing a leather jacket at some point. (Maybe it was a leather blazer.)

johnnya2k3

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 05:23:54 PM »
Pretty sure I've seen Tarrant wearing a leather jacket at some point. (Maybe it was a leather blazer.)

In that one clip from Whammy!, Todd Newton hosted in a leather jacket.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 06:10:16 PM »
It was absolutely The Cosby Show. I suspect some wardrobe supervisor at Goodsons thought The Cosby Sweaters would be a good vibe for Alex and/or Classic Concentration itself, and from there it spread.
Considering how Bert Convy occasionally wore pastel Miami Vice-type outfits on Super Password, I wonder if Goodson or NBC thought the hosts should dress down a little more based on pop culture fads.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

calliaume

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 08:38:41 AM »
Considering how Bert Convy occasionally wore pastel Miami Vice-type outfits on Super Password, I wonder if Goodson or NBC thought the hosts should dress down a little more based on pop culture fads.
Bob Eubanks was wearing sweaters as early as All-Star Secrets (sometimes with a suit jacket, sometimes not). Cosby premiered two and a half weeks before Trivia Trap, so I doubt it had any influence on that show. It's possible it could have influenced Alex Trebek's wardrobe on Classic Concentration, or the sweaters could have been Trebek's own tastes.

The Miami Vice look did not age well; it looks like Bert Convy wore it a few times in the first couple of years and was then phased out.

Eubanks was quoted in one of the game show books (Jefferson Graham's Come On Down?) as saying he doesn't particularly like wearing suits with ties.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 09:12:59 AM »
Is the Miami Vice look when Bert would wear a loose tie and a blazer that looked like he just rolled out of bed?

snowpeck

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 02:43:32 PM »
Is the Miami Vice look when Bert would wear a loose tie and a blazer that looked like he just rolled out of bed?
With the sleeves pushed up to his elbows, yep.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

gsfan85

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2021, 03:45:09 PM »
I'm here with Bob doing a Hollywood's Greatest Game Shows date in Canyonville, OR.  I can confirm he is wearing a sweater tonight, and does for the majority of our gigs! 

Fun fact-he HATES wearing suits and will only wear a suit if he's specifically asked to!

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 05:24:52 PM »
Bob Eubanks was wearing sweaters as early as All-Star Secrets (sometimes with a suit jacket, sometimes not).

Peter Tomarken was wearing sweater vests with his suit jackets for a time on PYL as well, IIRC.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2021, 08:29:20 PM »
Bob Eubanks was wearing sweaters as early as All-Star Secrets (sometimes with a suit jacket, sometimes not).

Peter Tomarken was wearing sweater vests with his suit jackets for a time on PYL as well, IIRC.
You do remember correctly.