Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Trivial Pursuit GS in Works...  (Read 10414 times)

weaklink75

Stackertosh

Re: New Trivial Pursuit GS in Works...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 06:45:05 PM »
I remember when Peter Brady hosted it many years ago. I wish they reboot Scrabble or Lingo

Hopefully Levar will tone it down a bit. He might do good

He did a Star Trek Game Show Segment on Jimmy Kimmel last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBRqQ78U3Pk&t=264s
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 08:13:50 PM by Stackertosh »

Neumms

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 07:29:52 PM »
"Burton told The Daily Show’s Trevor Noah that he was looking for the 'right' game show to host." One that would have him?

Sodboy13

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 07:55:27 PM »
You'd think there would be a good game show in collecting right answers from trivia questions in six different categories with a randomized selection, but so far, we have yet to see it.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 08:03:43 PM »
The two versions of Trivial Pursuit we got were okay, but they suffered from the same problem as Monopoly: they were too close to the actual board game to be an engaging game show. Scrabble created a completely different concept around a popular name, which I think is why it worked. I couldn't imagine watching people put tiles on a board being exciting to watch*. After a while I get bored playing the game my damn self. It's a solid effort to capitalize on the J! hosting controversy, but this isn't the trivia game show I'd revive in 2022.

*/Completely aware of the GSN pilot from the early-2000s
//Which didn't sell for a reason
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 08:27:59 PM »
The two versions of Trivial Pursuit we got were okay, but they suffered from the same problem as Monopoly: they were too close to the actual board game to be an engaging game show.

I disagree; I found Monopoly held way closer to the property than either Trivial Pursuit did. Neither TP series had dice, or pawns on a board, for instance. And I think categories and wedges are just as iconic to the branding as tiles are to Scrabble - most producers would want to utilize them.

Upon revisiting it, I gained a new appreciation for the non-interactive half of Wink's Trivial Pursuit. It was paced well and the variety of trivia was good. As a kid during first run, I didn't really take that in. Nowadays, I find the format to be like Bob's Full House/Trump Card in that there are rounds along the way that serve to feed the final speed round to determine the winner.

There's lots of viable ways to skin a Trivial Pursuit game show, though, and purely personally, I'd want another one that moves quickly. It's good to have both The Chase and Jeopardy! on TV to prove there's still an appetite for that.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 08:34:46 PM »
And I think categories and wedges are just as iconic to the branding as tiles are to Scrabble - most producers would want to utilize them.

Upon revisiting it, I gained a new appreciation for the non-interactive half of Wink's Trivial Pursuit. It was paced well and the variety of trivia was good. As a kid during first run, I didn't really take that in. Nowadays, I find the format to be like Bob's Full House/Trump Card in that there are rounds along the way that serve to feed the final speed round to determine the winner.

There's lots of viable ways to skin a Trivial Pursuit game show, though, and purely personally, I'd want another one that moves quickly.
I'd definitely keep the wedges and categories, and forgot Wink's version had a speed round. I may need to revisit it again myself, but something was telling me 12 questions was a heavy task.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 11:46:00 PM »
It's good to have both The Chase and Jeopardy! on TV to prove there's still an appetite for that.

I worry that the market for trivia Q & A shows might become saturated.

calliaume

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 05:48:35 PM »
And I think categories and wedges are just as iconic to the branding as tiles are to Scrabble - most producers would want to utilize them.

There's lots of viable ways to skin a Trivial Pursuit game show, though, and purely personally, I'd want another one that moves quickly.
I'd definitely keep the wedges and categories, and forgot Wink's version had a speed round. I may need to revisit it again myself, but something was telling me 12 questions was a heavy task.
I don't remember Wink's version very well, and the only memorable moment from America Plays for me was Eve Plumb dropping the F-bomb.

Here's a thought: would have two or three teams of two competing work? For me, the most memorable Trivial Pursuit games are the ones we play as teams. (My wife and I nicely complement one another's strengths and weaknesses in this regard, which helps.)

Vgmastr

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 10:41:48 PM »
There's a video game that's been out for a few years now called Trivial Pursuit Live that's essentially a Trivial Pursuit game show.  Four players, the six classic categories and a few different question styles.  Each correct answer earns points with certain point milestones earning a wedge.  The final round is a series of dis or dats, one for each category.  Last person standing in each category earns a wedge and the first player to fill their pie wins.  They honestly could just adapt that into a real game show and it would be a pretty fun watch.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 10:47:12 PM »
Here's a thought: would have two or three teams of two competing work? For me, the most memorable Trivial Pursuit games are the ones we play as teams. (My wife and I nicely complement one another's strengths and weaknesses in this regard, which helps.)
Thats essentially a pub quiz. I think you could have three teams of three or four, each sending someone to the buzzers, weitten rounds…all sorts of ways to play trivia that isn’t just whizzing around the game board.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 01:27:13 PM »
The two versions of Trivial Pursuit we got were okay, but they suffered from the same problem as Monopoly: they were too close to the actual board game to be an engaging game show.

I disagree; I found Monopoly held way closer to the property than either Trivial Pursuit did. Neither TP series had dice, or pawns on a board, for instance. And I think categories and wedges are just as iconic to the branding as tiles are to Scrabble - most producers would want to utilize them.

Me, too. The exciting part of the board game is when someone needs one wedge to go out and either can't answer a question in the category or doesn't land on it. Without the trappings, Trivial Pursuit is every quiz show that ever existed. Robert Noah was clever enough on Scrabble to use the trappings and ditch the game.

BillCullen1

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 12:17:15 PM »
Being a trivia fan, I'm willing to give the show and Levar a chance, unlike Alex at Buzzerblog.

bulldog_06

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 05:21:29 PM »
Being a trivia fan, I'm willing to give the show and Levar a chance, unlike Alex at Buzzerblog.

I don't think Alex likes Trivial Pursuit as a game show...he likes LeVar too but already knew that he wasn't going to get the gig. I didn't think that LeVar would get the J! gig either but I'm going to give him a chance watching his TP version.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 06:03:41 PM »
Alex certainly likes his precious adjectives, that’s for sure. I don’t think Trivial Pursuit has been done correctly as a game show—Wink’s version was closest.
Travis L. Eberle