Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Legacybox for Tape Conversions  (Read 2560 times)

tvmitch

Legacybox for Tape Conversions
« on: November 06, 2021, 08:35:00 PM »
Legacybox is running a sale for $9 VHS conversions (looks like they want a minimum of 10 tapes).

This is a price point where I would consider having them do the conversion for a few game show trade tapes I've been meaning to convert, but I don't have the time.

Has anyone here used Legacybox for this type of conversion? I am wondering if they would convert game show tapes. Their FAQ is wishy-washy.
You should follow me on Twitter

Matt Ottinger

Re: Legacybox for Tape Conversions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 09:06:44 PM »
I am wondering if they would convert game show tapes. Their FAQ is wishy-washy.

"When you submit your items to us, you are indicating that you are not acting in violation of any copyright laws by having the work duplicated and/or that you have obtained permission from the copyright holder to have it digitized."

This is their "out".  They're saying they will absolutely convert whatever tapes you send them, and in the preposterously unlikely event that anybody a) finds out and b) has an issue with it, well they told YOU to go get permission, so this is YOUR problem, isn't it?

They can't say on their website, "We'll convert whatever you've got, don't worry about copyright."  This is their way of saying they'll do it without actually saying they'll do it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 10:26:19 PM »
Might be time to find those tapes in my old bedroom. There's a ton of random 90s stuff I'd love to find again.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 01:41:14 AM »
I am very skeptical of services like this. Here is my evidence to back this up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSj3RbdhjzA

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 09:33:38 AM »
I would suggest just investing in a ClearClick digital video converter, especially for digitizing a large number of tapes.
https://www.amazon.com/ClearClick-Converter-2-0-Second-Generation/dp/B07V9JNRZY/

I've been using this for several months now and can easily get through a couple tapes per day.
It's super nifty to just press record, step out for brunch, and then later separate the episodes with an MP4 Splitter. Which is obviously my plan for today ;D

tvmitch

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »
I would suggest just investing in a ClearClick digital video converter, especially for digitizing a large number of tapes.
https://www.amazon.com/ClearClick-Converter-2-0-Second-Generation/dp/B07V9JNRZY/
Thanks, I hadn’t heard of that device before. That’s very nifty how you can capture video to a card or flash drive and deal with it later…and it’s not tying up a computer. I ordered one.
You should follow me on Twitter

Winkfan

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 06:54:03 PM »
I've been using this for several months now and can easily get through a couple tapes per day.
It's super nifty to just press record, step out for brunch, and then later separate the episodes with an MP4 Splitter. Which is obviously my plan for today ;D

I have one myself, I can connect it to my DVR to capture the stuff I recorded on there. I might also suggest a SanDisk Ultra USB flash drive (mainly a 3.1-type) to save your captures until you decide to edit your files with video-editing software.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

catnap1972

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 08:08:55 AM »
Are there any drawbacks to those types of devices from what you've experienced?

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 11:03:06 AM »
Are there any drawbacks to those types of devices from what you've experienced?
While this has made the digitization of my library exponentially more efficient, the only drawback for me I guess is how no longer preserving everything on physical DVD's can lead to a bit of risk losing terabytes of content if something were to happen to the drive on which everything is stored. Spending some additional money on a cloud backup service has therefore become an added expense for me.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 02:43:19 PM »
While this has made the digitization of my library exponentially more efficient, the only drawback for me I guess is how no longer preserving everything on physical DVD's can lead to a bit of risk losing terabytes of content if something were to happen to the drive on which everything is stored. Spending some additional money on a cloud backup service has therefore become an added expense for me.

Burned DVDs aren't forever either.

If you really care about keeping your data for all time: three total copies of your data, two different devices, one offsite. (Keeping a local and a cloud backup in addition to your originals satisfies all of these.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe