Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Article on free streaming services with Buzzr as a case study  (Read 2759 times)

weaklink75

Article on free streaming services with Buzzr as a case study
« on: October 28, 2021, 03:44:58 PM »
(Hopefully this isnt paywalled- Vulture can be tricky)

https://www.vulture.com/2021/10/free-streamers-apps-buzzr-pluto-tubi.html

It also mentions that GM of Buzzr Mark Deetjen has added the title executive VP of global channels to his duties at Fremantle…

snowpeck

Re: Article on free streaming services with Buzzr as a case study
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 04:02:47 PM »
Fascinating article. I said in another thread here that Buzzr has to be making a decent chunk of change on streaming, but this seems to indicate it's where the biggest percentage of their revenue is coming from. Who would have thought a little channel devoted to old game shows would be such a moneymaker in 2021?

Will also be interesting to see what else they have up their sleeves. The article mentions more binge channels devoted to a single show on the horizon, as well as what could be a potential online-only Buzzr 2.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

weaklink75

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 04:11:58 PM »
Fascinating article. I said in another thread here that Buzzr has to be making a decent chunk of change on streaming, but this seems to indicate it's where the biggest percentage of their revenue is coming from. Who would have thought a little channel devoted to old game shows would be such a moneymaker in 2021?

Will also be interesting to see what else they have up their sleeves. The article mentions more binge channels devoted to a single show on the horizon, as well as what could be a potential online-only Buzzr 2.

Unless there are too many headaches with legal issues and such, I couldn't see why Fremantle wouldn't want to bring some of the UK versions of their shows over here...

Bryce L.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 04:14:32 PM »

Unless there are too many headaches with legal issues and such, I couldn't see why Fremantle wouldn't want to bring some of the UK versions of their shows over here...
Would the cost of PAL-to-NTSC conversions be much of an issue?

snowpeck

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 04:15:03 PM »

Seems at the very least they want to leverage their international product in their countries of origin.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 05:34:49 PM »
Now I feel guilty that I do all of my Buzzr-watching via antenna.

Quote from: Vulture
FAST money, for example,

Unintentional game show pun!

Quote from: Vulture
With the added revenue, “We can go out and find things that nobody else has found for a really long time,” he says.

Brace yourselves, internet friends, for even more uninformed fan speculation and wish lists.

Seriously, though, the success of Fremantle's channels is great news. It means we'll keep getting classic game show content to enjoy!

trainman

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 09:36:46 PM »
Would the cost of PAL-to-NTSC conversions be much of an issue?

That's not an issue for modern-day content that's in a digital format.
trainman is a man of trains

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 08:43:16 AM »
I'd be curious to see how Game Show Central compares to Buzzr in terms of viewership. 

Not to mention how Game Show Central compares to it's parent Game Show Network.

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 03:14:54 AM »

I've long wondered why GSN doesn't try British shows. Ones with quiz questions--which I suppose is most of them--wouldn't work. Golden Balls may be good. (I don't know if that's Fremantle.)

weaklink75

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 02:52:29 PM »
Well Buzzr picked up another outlet- it, along with TPIR:Barker Era and Baywatch will be added to Redbox's free streaming service 12/1:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/redbox-signs-content-deal-fremantle-130000617.html