Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy Ranking Tiers- Do You Agree?  (Read 2229 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Jeopardy Ranking Tiers- Do You Agree?
« on: October 27, 2021, 12:15:46 PM »
Over on Reddit, we're having a pretty fun conversation after one poster shared his Jeopardy ranking by tier, so I thought I'd share it here. Each tier's players are posted in descending order based on how they numbered each one.

Diamond: Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer, Matt Amodio, Brad Rutter

Platinum: Alex Jacob, Larissa Kelly, Matt Jackson, Roger Craig

Gold: Ben Ingram, Jennifer Quail, Sam Kavanaugh, Jason Zuffranieri, Arthur Chu, Austin Rogers, Emma Boettcher

Silver: Colby Burnett, Julia Collins, Jonathan Fisher, Dave Madden, Brayden Smith, Chuck Forrest, Pam Mueller, Buzzy Cohen, Frank Spangenberg, Jerome Vered

Bronze: Michael Dupee, Bob Verini, Seth Wilson, Alan Lin, Cindy Stowell, Jason Keller, Andrew Pau, Karen Farrell, Mackenzie Jones, Tom Cubbage, Eddie Timanus, Tom Nissley, Dan Pawson

Anyone missing? Who would you promote/demote based on these rankings? Have fun!
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jimmy Owen

Re: Jeopardy Ranking Tiers- Do You Agree?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »
You were limited to 5 days back in the day, so the rankings may no be doable.  Chuck Forrest  probably could have won more than he did. It's hard to evaluate.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 12:55:30 PM »
Officer Frank up two slots. His five day record stood for nearly thirty years. I don’t know if Jennifer Quail rates a best of the best chart, but charitably I would slot her Bronze.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 12:57:40 PM »
I am the second-greatest Jeopardy player of all time, and no one can prove otherwise.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 12:59:31 PM »
I am the second-greatest Jeopardy player of all time, and no one can prove otherwise.
This really is a cast-iron solid point, and we are fools to not recognize it.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 01:10:17 PM »
Boettcher is up too high. I would move her to Bronze. While she’s notable for her big win, she doesn’t get a ToC spot if the powers that be don’t bend the rules to let her in.

I would move Spangenberg and Mueller to Gold, Bob Verini up to Silver, and I can’t let this list slide without adding Eric Newhouse, even if he’s only Bronze.

You were limited to 5 days back in the day, so the rankings may no be doable.  Chuck Forrest  probably could have won more than he did. It's hard to evaluate.

It’s definitely hard to gauge, and you’ve also got to consider that the early/mid 2000s super tournaments were where the 80s greats got phased out, so there’s not a ton of data points on how the newer crop matches up against the Elite Emeritus. So you’re right, but it’s still fun!
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 01:44:46 PM »
I'd swap Julia Collins' and Emma Boettcher's positions.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 02:12:21 PM »
Had you heard of Jennings prior, would you have asked for a different taping day?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 03:38:35 PM »

Damn straight. The Daily Double wagered against YOU and lost.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 04:04:59 PM »
I'd move Julia up to Gold, but I could be basing this off the publicity she received more than the style of gameplay.

Would also add Jonathan Fisher at the Bronze level, based on his role as giant slayer and subsequent run.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 09:01:27 PM »
Dan Melia (98 TOC winner and 1st five day car champion) and Michael Daunt (96 TOC runner up and 97 International Champion)

(Sushi Bar Era champions were underrated)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 09:02:22 PM »
rans.
I would move /Spangenberg and Mueller to Gold, Bob Verini up to Silver,
I would reserve the Diamond Club for either dominant TOC winners (or winners of many games who won their TOC or maybe made the final trio) or the folks who got to the finals of a reunion tournament. I would build a memorial wing for Brayden as Cindy as we had no idea what they would be capable of in a tournament setting. I would have the silver level as TOC finalists and bronze as the also-rans.

But hey, that's why it's a discussion, right?
Travis L. Eberle