Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Better Fits for Current Hosts  (Read 2675 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Better Fits for Current Hosts
« on: October 25, 2021, 12:22:42 PM »
Often times, I look at hosts and wonder if they're the best possible fit for that kind of show, and I find myself playing armchair executive, thinking they'd be a better fit on another show.

So, in that spirit, name any recent host (let's say anyone who's hosted in the past five years) who you think isn't/wasn't a great fit for the show they helm/helmed, along with a show currently on air you'd move them to if you had the power.

There's a few out there for me, but I'd move Kimmel off Millionaire. Even with a crowd, I don't see Kimmel ramping up tension or excitement as the players ascend the money ladder. But I think he would be perfect on Match Game. He's comfortable with celebs, there isn't a ton of game to keep track of, and he's good at ribbing people without being mean about it.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SuperMatch93

Re: Better Fits for Current Hosts
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 12:41:11 PM »
Joel McHale is a bit too sarcastic and dry-witted for Card Sharks, but I'd love to see him as a commentator on Holey Moley.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 01:14:06 PM »
I'd like to see Wayne Brady on TPiR. Drew is a good host, but he also undersells the big wins IMO.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mystery7

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 01:47:43 PM »
Carey's style is a perfect mismatch for Price. The deadpan delivery sucks all the joy out of a new car and worked a lot better on Whose Line.

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »
I'd move Drew Carey from TPIR to Family Feud, mainly to get rid of Steve Harvey at this point. As for McHale, I'd put him as host of Match Game. They might be looking for a new host now.

SamJ93

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 02:54:49 PM »
Sara Haines isn't a bad host per se, but I find her voice to be on the annoying side, especially for the amount of rapid question-reading she has to do on The Chase. To that end, why not move her over to PYL, where she doesn't have to do that as much?

As for MG--if it comes back--might as well go the casting gag route and get Will Arnett (who played Baldwin's arch-rival on 30 Rock) as the new host.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 02:58:25 PM »
I agree that Jimmy Kimmel might be a good fit for Match Game. He might interact well with the panel. He's certainly worth a try.

The mechanics of emceeing MG aren't complicated. Read a question, get the contestant's response and poll the panel. The rest is the emcee's personality and how he/she interacts with the panelists' antics.

The current Card Sharks is so contrived and overwrought, it's hard to judge Joel McHale. On Card Sharks we don't get a feel for how he would share the stage with a panel of six oversugared hambones.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 03:25:09 PM »
Carey's style is a perfect mismatch for Price. The deadpan delivery sucks all the joy out of a new car and worked a lot better on Whose Line.

IMHO Drew is devoid of the basic showmanship skills required to emcee TPIR which Barker had in spades.

I have a feeling there were other factors involved in CBS's insistence on Drew as emcee of TPIR. Roger had auditioned other people who did a better job than Drew, but CBS refused to consider anyone other than Drew.

You don't have to think very hard to imagine what "other factors" might have been at work.

Drew is better suited to a format where he sits behind a desk with index cards while other non-civilian performers do all the heavy lifting.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 03:37:20 PM »
Okay, to keep this from turning into wet dreams of a Drew Carey-less price, just fill in the damn blanks:

I think (BLANK) is a mismatch as host of (BLANK), but their hosting style would be great on (BLANK).
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Stackertosh

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 04:36:24 AM »
Alfonso Ribeiro for Card Sharks if they fixed the show and speed it up i think Alfonso would make a great host. He has the energy.

I think David Faber would be a good fit on Millionaire. I know he was a guest host on Jeopardy. I thought he was one of the better guest hosts. I wasn't really a fan of Jimmy on Millionaire he just goes through the motions hosting the show. 

Chris Harrison for The Chase. I am not really a fan of Sara. I also wish The Chase used the music and the same set as the Uk.

If Weakest Link had the old format i would have Joel McHale host. His sarcastic and dry-witted style would fit the show.

I would try Jane Lynch for Match Game. I think her background on Hollywood Game night would work on Match Game.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:03:15 AM by Stackertosh »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 06:02:25 AM »
Ive become accustomed to Drew, but Tom Bergeron would have been good for TPIR.  He's a broadcaster rather than an actor.  Today, it seems that comedians, sports stars and actors are in vogue to host game shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 06:32:33 AM »
Chris Harrison for The Chase. I am not really a fan of Sara. I also wish The Chase used the music and the same set as the Uk.

It's a shame that Chris is damaged goods at the moment due to the Bachelor controversy, because I'd like to see him have a chance at hosting The Chase or a similar show. He was the best Millionaire host since Regis IMO.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Stackertosh

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 07:11:24 AM »

It's a shame that Chris is damaged goods at the moment due to the Bachelor controversy, because I'd like to see him have a chance at hosting The Chase or a similar show. He was the best Millionaire host since Regis IMO.

I agree he was a good host its a shame what happen.