Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New-to-BUZZR episodes on or forthcoming  (Read 17146 times)

Bryce L.

Re: New-to-BUZZR episodes on or forthcoming
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 02:16:26 AM »
I find it interesting that next week, Buzzr's "Super Duper Supermarket Sweep" promotion takes place only in the 9:00 Eastern/6:00 Pacific time slot. Based on next week's currently incomplete schedule, that time slot will contain earlier episodes (so far, from seasons 2 and 3) whose internal Buzzr numbers end with an A, presumably to mark them as special contest episodes. Meanwhile, the midnight Eastern/9:00 Pacific run continues with the new-to-Buzzr episodes from season 5.

Is this the first time that Buzzr has aired a different episode in each half anywhere in its prime time lineup?
I think they aired different episodes when they did the Alex Trebek tribute thing, and for a while around 2016-2017 the 11-to-2 block was one night behind 8-to-11, but it's extremely unusual for them.

Bryce L.

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2021, 05:32:56 AM »
Mark your calendars... Tuesday, October 26, we get the finale of MGHS, #191. This will be the first time they've "exhausted" a series (odd skips here and there notwithstanding), and only the third time they've hit a series finale (others being MG PM and LMAD '86).

Hastin

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2021, 12:47:01 PM »
Still just insanely wild to me that this show, in my lifetime, went from "got to see a bootleg VHS at a house after a game show convention" to "yeah, we aired the whole series on broadcast TV".

Mark your calendars... Tuesday, October 26, we get the finale of MGHS, #191. This will be the first time they've "exhausted" a series (odd skips here and there notwithstanding), and only the third time they've hit a series finale (others being MG PM and LMAD '86).
-Hastin :)

cmjb13

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2021, 01:07:28 PM »
Still just insanely wild to me that this show, in my lifetime, went from "got to see a bootleg VHS at a house after a game show convention" to "yeah, we aired the whole series on broadcast TV".

I take it the Woolery episodes have aired already?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

JMFabiano

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2021, 05:57:24 PM »

I take it the Woolery episodes have aired already?

Yep.  Albeit missing an episode....oddly enough, the one on the trading circuit. 

And yes, what a triad of years having access to the series, as it turns out, most of the entire series. Was this acquired before the Concentrations or after? 

Anyway, I am one with fond memories of the series...watched it after school when in the first grade, the last year my family lived in our original house so it reminds me of my first neighborhood.  Silly as that sounds.  Perhaps that is why a LOT of TV from '83 or so has such sentimental value. 

It was neat to see the stories shared on older discussion groups confirmed...where the $30K wins were.  The Christmas tree episode.  The HS board malfunctioning.  Round 3 being replaced by cheerleaders. 

Crazy George?  Edie and Fred on schtick overload?  The NBC infomercialling?  Not so much.

Holding out that a future Lost and Found brings us the pilot episode.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Bryce L.

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2021, 06:10:37 PM »
Was this acquired before the Concentrations or after? 
After Trebek (October 2018), before Narz (March 2020). Debuted in February 2019 (marathon of the premiere week, minus the actual premiere itself), joined the regular lineup in September 2019.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2021, 06:31:38 PM »
And yes, what a triad of years having access to the series, as it turns out, most of the entire series. Was this acquired before the Concentrations or after?

Just to get ahead of any incorrect discussion: to say the shows were acquired would be misleading. Fremantle has had the tapes for years (if not always). Whatever part NBC still has in (Classic) Concentration and/or whatever part MGM still has in MGHSH was no doubt settled to make these airings happen.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

aaron sica

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2021, 01:37:09 PM »
Anyway, I am one with fond memories of the series.

Same. I distinctly remember trying on my Halloween costume while watching the premiere.

JMFabiano

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2021, 01:48:03 PM »

Just to get ahead of any incorrect discussion: to say the shows were acquired would be misleading. Fremantle has had the tapes for years (if not always). Whatever part NBC still has in (Classic) Concentration and/or whatever part MGM still has in MGHSH was no doubt settled to make these airings happen.

-Jason

Yes, and it was probably easier as it wasn't GSN (which had to negotiate between two companies rather than one, and apparently was not interested in airing all of the above). 

The latter gives me hope that Fremantle's talks with MGM involved whatever remains of its game show content. 

JMFabiano

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2021, 01:48:50 PM »
Anyway, I am one with fond memories of the series.

Same. I distinctly remember trying on my Halloween costume while watching the premiere.

Back when my mom still had her record collection, I found that, on the back of Disney's Merry Christmas Songs' sleeve, I had scribbled the MG/HS style Squares grid. 

chargeradiocom

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2021, 11:15:34 PM »
So now that MGHSH is ending its run of new-to-BUZZR episodes, and was generally lukewarmly received at best, what’s our collective best guess as to their future plans for the show? Does it remain a stalwart on the schedule? Or, do they start letting off the gas, then cut it loose when the current deal with MGM is up? Or something else?

JMFabiano

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2021, 09:48:15 AM »
So now that MGHSH is ending its run of new-to-BUZZR episodes, and was generally lukewarmly received at best, what’s our collective best guess as to their future plans for the show? Does it remain a stalwart on the schedule? Or, do they start letting off the gas, then cut it loose when the current deal with MGM is up? Or something else?

That's Amazon now, technically. 

I can see them scaling back the airings while not totally dropping it.  Longshot (scrreeeeeeeeech, CRASH): they somehow are able to air the skipped episodes in the future.  Unless the tapes were lost.   

Do we know how the ratings/popularity of MG-HS were on Buzzr?  As it's seen 2 times or so most days, they must see something in it. 

chargeradiocom

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2021, 01:30:42 PM »
True, but they still have to honor MGM’s preexisting deals, and they may not want to fiddle with those deals too much at renewal time. But, Amazon being Amazon, who knows.

I can see them scaling back the airings while not totally dropping it.
That’s what I tend to think, at least in the near term. But I’m curious whether it’s more of a gradual dial back, or closer to the LMAD treatment.

Do we know how the ratings/popularity of MG-HS were on Buzzr?  As it's seen 2 times or so most days, they must see something in it.
Since they don’t subscribe to Nielsen, the publicly available info is limited. But I’d be surprised if they don’t subscribe to some monitoring service, like a Comscore or GfK, plus they probably get some data on streaming from Pluto, STIRR, etc. And I agree with you—given its scheduling treatment, its viewership numbers have probably been better than the social media critics would have us believe.

TimK2003

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2021, 09:13:56 PM »

Prediction:  If the MGHSH is *that* popular with the general public, it should appear on Amazon Prime sooner than later along with the other select Buzzr entries.