Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newlywed Game coming to Buzzr?  (Read 34330 times)

chrisholland03

Re: Newlywed Game coming to Buzzr?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 07:33:46 AM »

High Rollers exists in full. Signs point to Gambit being gone, as all Winc had posted are rather shoddy personal recordings.

And were it not for those "shoddy personal recordings" we would have a grand total of one shoddy episode.  As someone who does a good job unearthing rare episodes, I'm kinda surprised by the less-than-diplomatic wording.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 07:52:05 AM by chrisholland03 »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2021, 08:44:08 AM »

High Rollers exists in full. Signs point to Gambit being gone, as all Winc had posted are rather shoddy personal recordings.

And were it not for those "shoddy personal recordings" we would have a grand total of one shoddy episode.  As someone who does a good job unearthing rare episodes, I'm kinda surprised by the less-than-diplomatic wording.
You're right, poor self-editing. Less than broadcast quality recordings. The point I was going for was that if Gambit existed, I'd think by now we'd have seen uploads in the same quality of the High Rollers pilot or the '79 Gambit pilot. I guess we could just ask...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:11:16 AM by Blanquepage »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2021, 01:18:19 PM »
Wasn't Gambit on in reruns somewhere a good while after its original run concluded?  I'd be surprised if they saw value then, only to subsequently destroy the tapes.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2021, 01:51:09 PM »
Wasn't Gambit on in reruns somewhere a good while after its original run concluded?  I'd be surprised if they saw value then, only to subsequently destroy the tapes.
Yes. Jack Rhodes had it on KHJ for a while.  I want to say 1977..  Filmways owned Rhodes and was swallowed by Orion in the early 80s and merged into MGM eventually.  They may not know they have it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Blanquepage

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2021, 03:00:37 PM »
Yes. Jack Rhodes had it on KHJ for a while.  I want to say 1977..  Filmways owned Rhodes and was swallowed by Orion in the early 80s and merged into MGM eventually.  They may not know they have it.
Wow, news to me. Well that's at least a glimmer of hope!

WhammyPower

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2021, 04:30:41 PM »
I'm going to predict its Buzzr timeslot right now: A replacement for the 8PM Classic Concentration (since the new eps. have always been put in at 1PM)

EDIT: I just realized they could do something more... They can move Card Sharks to before Sweep to give is "Love Is in the Cards with Bob Eubanks."
So, are you envisioning something like this, maybe?

8:00pm: Newlywed Game 77
8:30pm: Card Sharks 86
9:00pm: Supermarket Sweep 5
9:30pm: Super Password 85

Exactly that, yes.

Bob Zager

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2021, 03:20:55 PM »
There is a link with Burt Sugarman between Celebrity Sweepstakes and Whew…

I seem to recall, in 1987, Chuck Barris no longer was directly involved in the production of The New Newlywed Game, nor the All-New Dating Game, and some then unfamiliar names showed up in the credits (including Scott Sternberg, for example).  On one of the daytime talk shows, IIRC, Bob Eubanks had mentioned he was working for Burt Sugarman, so I don't know if Sugarman's company was in charge of production of those shows or not. 

There were all kinds of production changes starting in early 1988 (about the midpoint of the '87/'88 season).  Some cosmetic changes to TNNG, as well as Eubanks' relocation to between couples #2 and #3.  Then in fall '88, first the game used a money scoring system; and by December, new host Paul Rodriguez.  Whether or not Sugarman was involved with the show's transitioning at that time or not, I'm not sure; but I also wondered if Eubanks was not pleased with the changes, and if it influenced his departure, especially since it happened at around the mid-season point.

splinkynip

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2021, 04:20:24 PM »
My understanding was that Bob was going to leave anyway if the show got renewed for the 1989-1990 season, as he was trying to sell All-Star Secrets for fall of 1989. I think, though, it was pretty much assumed the show was going to be cancelled so he left in December of 1988.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2021, 05:59:09 PM »
My mom is probably the definition of a casual game show fan. She will sometimes watch current Wheel/J!/Feud if it’s on, though nowhere near every day. She occasionally watches BUZZR or GSN, but doesn’t necessarily go out of her way to do so. She has a fondness for the older shows, though, and while she’s not nearly as hardcore of a fan as most of us here, she knows a little something about the classics. I showed her the teaser graphic, without mentioning any specific shows. She paused for about three seconds, then said, “Um, is it the Newlywed Game?”

So yeah, either BUZZR is bringing TNG on board, or this is the biggest game show-related bait-&-switch of the last decade.

As for TNG seeming like an odd choice for BUZZR’s first Sony show… I get that. But I could see TNG being something of a “trial balloon.” TNG is probably the most recognizable “1A tier” Sony show to mainstream viewers. And if they’re working on a deal for classic Wheel/J! but one side or the other is hesitant on the terms or asking price, they may have agreed to run TNG, and if it hits the targets both sides want, they’ll be more comfortable signing a bigger deal for the top tier shows. They might even have a deal already in place to run Wheel/J!/possibly Pyramid, contingent on TNG hitting its targets. And this is purely conjecture, but I have my doubts that BUZZR would pursue Sony’s 1A-&-lower tier shows very hard unless they thought they had a good chance at getting the two big guns as well.

Also, if BUZZR is just dying to have a relationship game show, TNG would probably be more palatable to their core audience than Bzzz! was. (I’m not sure why they’d be dying to have one, but I’m also not sure why they singled out that particular genre on that one survey. Maybe there’s a key sponsor that really wants it.)

Bryce L.

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2021, 06:29:25 PM »
Also, if BUZZR is just dying to have a relationship game show, TNG would probably be more palatable to their core audience than Bzzz! was. (I’m not sure why they’d be dying to have one, but I’m also not sure why they singled out that particular genre on that one survey. Maybe there’s a key sponsor that really wants it.)
Don't they already have that genre, if you count Tattletales? (Which, by the way, starts fresh episodes on Monday November 1, episode 0354.)

chargeradiocom

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2021, 06:50:49 PM »
Don't they already have that genre, if you count Tattletales? (Which, by the way, starts fresh episodes on Monday November 1, episode 0354.)
You could certainly argue that point. In that survey, though, I recall the question specifically being asked if respondents would be interested in seeing dating and relationship shows on BUZZR, as if they didn’t have one already. (I do wish we had a transcript or screencaps from that survey.)  I don’t know, maybe they count Tattletales as more of a celebrity show, whereas civilian relationship shows would be a different category. Just guessing as to what their thinking might have been.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2021, 08:33:43 PM »
If they sent out a tease with an asterisk background, would you guess TPIR or Dating Game?

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2021, 11:16:39 PM »
If they sent out a tease with an asterisk background, would you guess TPIR or Dating Game?

Well, the Goodson-Todman asterisk is six-sided, and The Dating Game's asterisk is five-sided.  So I'm not sure that's a good question.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2021, 02:26:09 AM »

Well, the Goodson-Todman asterisk is six-sided, and The Dating Game's asterisk is five-sided.  So I'm not sure that's a good question.
.  Did not realize that.  What about The Mike Douglas Show's Game Show Host week?

Blanquepage

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2021, 07:23:23 PM »
I'm going to predict its Buzzr timeslot right now: A replacement for the 8PM Classic Concentration (since the new eps. have always been put in at 1PM)

EDIT: I just realized they could do something more... They can move Card Sharks to before Sweep to give is "Love Is in the Cards with Bob Eubanks."
So, are you envisioning something like this, maybe?

8:00pm: Newlywed Game 77
8:30pm: Card Sharks 86
9:00pm: Supermarket Sweep 5
9:30pm: Super Password 85

Exactly that, yes.
Apologies, but there's just no way BUZZR is going to remove Alex from primetime. Maybe Match Game PM's slot, or some other slot non-primetime to test the waters.