Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newlywed Game coming to Buzzr?  (Read 34338 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: Newlywed Game coming to Buzzr?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 07:35:55 PM »
I just can't see Newlywed Game being the first Sony show Buzzr would go after. Given that both Whew and Celebrity Sweepstakes are being represented by Winc. now, my money is on that.
Ok Greg, I'm going to be in Atlanta next week from the 19th-24th for a family gathering. If the announcement breaks between now and then that it's CS, which I've posted numerous times I'm hoping for, then drinks are on me all night for both you and Nick. Just one night, mind you :P
That lattice is more identifiable with Newlywed Game, IMHO. Also, there were Sony properties on that survey we took, including WOF, J!, and The Dating Game. Of four, this one seems to be the least tied up airing somewhere else...

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 08:34:00 PM »
In the months prior to the announcement that Whew was unearthed and headed to Buzzr, Winc.'s YouTube page posted a couple of new-to-us Whew episodes.   Haven't seen any new-to-us episodes of Celebrity Sweepstakes...yet.  But then again, if some CS episodes pop up, then most of us could guess that they're coming to Buzzr, as now they have tapped Burt Sugarman's shows.

OTOH, GSN still airs Match Game 7x and all the Harvey Feud you can stomach (both Fremantle properties).

Since Sony is sitting on (and not airing) the original Barris NG episodes, perhaps this is a "trade" (Letting Buzzr air Eubanks NG episodes + who knows what else, and Fremantle will continue to let you air old MG & Harvey Feud). 

If it is Newlywed Game, I hope they air the 60s-70's eps and not the 80's-90's incarnations -- mostly to mesh better with the majority of their programs that are 40+ years old.

Here is an early 2022 prediction:  Buzzr gets the rights from Sony to air Martindale-hosted Tic Tac Dough episodes via trade.or lease (to commence with the NBC airing of Bergeron's TTD reboot).

We'll see...

tvwxman

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 08:54:10 PM »
So, what's left for holy grail collections for Buzzr to air : Heatter Quigley shows? Gambit? High Rollers? Battlestars?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Bryce L.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 09:00:46 PM »
So, what's left for holy grail collections for Buzzr to air : Heatter Quigley shows? Gambit? High Rollers? Battlestars?
"One of these stars is sitting in the secret square..."

Blanquepage

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 09:11:54 PM »
High Rollers exists in full. Signs point to Gambit being gone, as all Winc had posted are rather shoddy personal recordings. There's a vacuum-sealed Baffle ep 12 with slate, which makes me wonder why that one would have been saved if it were wiped. After having screened it and witnessing Dick's initial clumsiness, I doubt it was to shop the series around. I'd wonder why they HQ would let Battlestars get erased...especially since they had enough faith in it to bring it back. Were there any syndication efforts? I'd like to think by that time, companies would intervene to prevent the wiping of their network product given how B&E shopped CBS reruns of TJW to get popularity enough for a revival.

gamed121683

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 09:13:44 PM »
Whether it's The Newlywed Game or Celebrity Sweepstakes (my mind will be blown either way), can we give a shout out to whomever has been in charge of acquisitions over at Buzzr the past 3 years? Ever since they got the rights to Classic Concentration back in '18, they have been en fuego with shows most of us thought we'd never see again due to them being lost or just a bunch of red tape. I'd like to thank them for their hard work and dedication.

I don't know who these red tape breakers are, but I want to buy whoever this person (people) is (are) a drink.

BillCullen1

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 09:16:00 PM »
"One of these stars is sitting in the secret square..."

Since Buzzr currently airs the MGHS Hour, Marshall's HS would be the H-Q show for them to acquire. In my opinion, the celebs on HS were more famous than the ones on Match Game. Paul Lynde, Rose Marie and Vincent Price vs. Brett Somers, Bill Daily and Joyce Bulifant.

gamed121683

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 09:19:13 PM »
In terms of holy grail collections for Buzzr to air: Does Winc. have access to the rest of the Jay Wolpert Productions library or just Whew!?

snowpeck

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 09:30:18 PM »
In terms of holy grail collections for Buzzr to air: Does Winc. have access to the rest of the Jay Wolpert Productions library or just Whew!?
I'd assume just Whew! since it's owned by Burt Sugarman and not Wolpert.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

mmb5

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 09:43:50 PM »
Were there any syndication efforts? I'd like to think by that time, companies would intervene to prevent the wiping of their network product given how B&E shopped CBS reruns of TJW to get popularity enough for a revival.
Yet Password 70s was still erased, even after a successful syndication of Password 60s.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

WhammyPower

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 09:51:07 PM »
I'm going to predict its Buzzr timeslot right now: A replacement for the 8PM Classic Concentration (since the new eps. have always been put in at 1PM)

EDIT: I just realized they could do something more... They can move Card Sharks to before Sweep to give is "Love Is in the Cards with Bob Eubanks."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 10:18:48 PM by WhammyPower »

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 09:59:45 PM »
High Rollers exists in full.

.........stupid question, but is this the Trebek run (rather, *runs*)?

/if so, then I was today years old when I found out

Blanquepage

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 10:07:07 PM »
Were there any syndication efforts? I'd like to think by that time, companies would intervene to prevent the wiping of their network product given how B&E shopped CBS reruns of TJW to get popularity enough for a revival.
Yet Password 70s was still erased, even after a successful syndication of Password 60s.
Given how established Password was by then, from a business standpoint, did G-T really need to preserve those tapes to sell future iterations? In fact, neither ABC Password nor Password Plus had a pilot, right? Not exactly apples to apples, in background context. My thought is behind those series that weren't decades-long successes that had hopes for being shopped around. The fact that Winc has been trying to sell Celebrity Sweepstakes clearly confirms there exists product to sell. NBC High Rollers exists, and it was ultimately syndicated for a bit. We really need to reevaluate our past acceptances of why certain series are gone, and what may still remain unbeknownst to us, the  not-in-the-biz audience.

Bryce L.

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 10:13:44 PM »
High Rollers exists in full.

.........stupid question, but is this the Trebek run (rather, *runs*)?

/if so, then I was today years old when I found out
At least the 1974-1976 run is intact, no idea about 1978-1980.

Bryce L.

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 04:41:10 AM »
I'm going to predict its Buzzr timeslot right now: A replacement for the 8PM Classic Concentration (since the new eps. have always been put in at 1PM)

EDIT: I just realized they could do something more... They can move Card Sharks to before Sweep to give is "Love Is in the Cards with Bob Eubanks."
So, are you envisioning something like this, maybe?

8:00pm: Newlywed Game 77
8:30pm: Card Sharks 86
9:00pm: Supermarket Sweep 5
9:30pm: Super Password 85