Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newlywed Game coming to Buzzr?  (Read 34334 times)

jimlangefan

Re: Newlywed Game coming to Buzzr?
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2021, 08:47:05 PM »
Anyhow, I'd be surprised if they only air the 90's version. Seems like folks are jumping to that conclusion based off the screengrab. Double oi.

It looks like it is the '90s version.   BUZZR just started a promo today with clips from the show and they were from the 90s version. 
TV's Big Dealer

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2021, 09:46:49 PM »
Well colour me surprised, indeed. I only recently learned on here that the 90's version has already been in reruns in Canada, perhaps it's the same package? Either way, I underappreciated it during the GSN "Dark Period", but as an adult I enjoy it immensely  ;D

snowpeck

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2021, 10:12:24 PM »
The promo also definitively specifies that it will only be available over-the-air and on cable. Wonder what show the stream will plug in instead.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

JMFabiano

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2021, 10:53:26 AM »
The promo also definitively specifies that it will only be available over-the-air and on cable. Wonder what show the stream will plug in instead.

Maybe keep the Eubanks CS there?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2021, 01:21:52 PM »
From the social post: “ The Newlywed Game is heading to BUZZR over the air and on cable starting November 15th.”

I’m wondering if this wording means they don’t have the rights to run it on the streaming feed, only OTA/cable.

I suspect you're correct based on their post today. Digital (online streaming) rights are complicated.
Indeed they are.

As it’s been explained to me in the past, this is a big part of why most networks that heavily rely on leased library titles (i.e. MeTV) don’t stream. Many of the deals for OTA & cable don’t carry over to streaming and would have to be reworked to include it. Whereas this doesn’t so much affect a network like BUZZR, where the parent company owns most of what they play outright, and the handful of shows that do have a leased component came after the fact & probably had a streaming provision written into the deal.

(This also apparently was a reason why we got the TPIR Barker Era channel even though the show for now remains embargoed on OTA/cable. Once Fremantle & CBS reached a deal, whatever red tape was keeping it off traditional TV didn’t apply to streaming. And if anyone, be it Barker’s people or whomever, tried to make an issue of it, Fremantle & CBS could rightly tell them to pound sand.)

What’s befuddling me a bit with TNG, though, is why BUZZR would bother with apparently paying to acquire it when a big chunk of their audience won’t be able to see it—especially in light of what we’ve recently learned about the financial and viewership boon streaming has been for them. BUZZR has typically been good about making sure all their ducks were in a row on things like this (Wordplay notwithstanding). Was it that when Sony comes knocking, you don’t turn them down if you want any shot at working with them later? Or did Sony simply make them an offer they just couldn’t refuse?

chargeradiocom

« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2021, 01:23:44 PM »

Maybe keep the Eubanks CS there?
I’m guessing either that, or Dawson Feud, which seems to be their go-to streaming filler as of late.

Also curious what they’ll do with that 11AM morning slot.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2021, 02:48:29 PM »
Starting 11/16, we get an hour of Jack; Now You See It will follow Concentration! Morning Supermarket Sweep will move to follow Newlywed Game. (Source: TV Passport)

Bryce L.

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2021, 03:03:46 PM »
Of course, damn if we know what us streaming chumps will be seeing at 11.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2021, 03:14:31 PM »

Enjoy the whimsy and novelty of an actual surprise?

Bryce L.

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2021, 03:16:12 PM »
No thanks, I get enough of those in my real life.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2021, 04:31:04 PM »
Everything on the app or website is a happy bonus. I expect nothing and love when i5 is something I enjoy. I’d TNG doesn’t jump to the streaming side I’m no worse for the wear.

Chumps indeed.
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2021, 11:16:41 PM »
Starting 11/16, we get an hour of Jack; Now You See It
I somehow read this as You Don't Know Jack and thought "well that came out of left field".

snowpeck

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2021, 02:42:25 PM »
I just got ahold of Buzzr's press release for The Newlywed Game. It mentions they are starting with season 2 of this version, but they will be going on to season 3 and then season 1 afterward (which I guess means they'll be showing the Kroeger episodes.)
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

jage

« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2021, 03:42:47 PM »
The thing missing from this version was the nonsexual questions that often resulted in some of the best bloopers. I.E. "What's your favorite pasta"

calliaume

« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »
I just got ahold of Buzzr's press release for The Newlywed Game. It mentions they are starting with season 2 of this version, but they will be going on to season 3 and then season 1 afterward (which I guess means they'll be showing the Kroeger episodes.)
Gary Kroeger hasn't mentioned this on his Facebook feed. Maybe he doesn't know?

The thing missing from this version was the nonsexual questions that often resulted in some of the best bloopers. I.E. "What's your favorite pasta"
I may be a minority of one, but these questions bugged the crap out of me. The sexual innuendo questions are to be expected; these seem a mean-spirited way to see how ignorant some of the newlyweds are.

I didn't watch the show carefully enough to know the answer to this: what would happen if, after Bob posed a question such as this, the first spouse queried not only knew what the term meant but explained it in the course of giving their predicted answer? (Probably he'd been directed in advance, "Start the questioning with Couple #3, because they're idiots.")
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 05:39:11 PM by calliaume »