Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To Tell The Truth panelist disqualification  (Read 2844 times)

Mr. Matté

To Tell The Truth panelist disqualification
« on: October 09, 2021, 08:01:41 PM »
Has there ever been a hard set rule regarding the panelists knowing the central character or impostor(s) and how they should disqualify themselves?

The closest statement of the rule that I know of what with Bill's "bird-in-his-hand" blooper where he said "they can question but not vote." However, earlier in the 70s version, if there is a known connection between a panelist and the CC, the panelist will host the segment and Garry would participate. There was one instance on the 80s version where John Wade knew Mary Kay Ash and he didn't even ask any questions. But later on the same version, when Rosa Parks was on, Nipsey Russell asked some pretty specific questions to the real one but only disqualified his vote.

whewfan

Re: To Tell The Truth panelist disqualification
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 07:38:16 PM »
I think the rule is, if you personally know any of the 3 players, you cannot question at all. However, in Bill Cullen's case, he ran into the real guy by pure chance, he didn't personally know the bird guy. So, if there were other circumstances of having prior knowledge of the contestant, you can question, but NOT vote.

Bob Zager

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 01:55:32 PM »
IIRC, the first time the panelist/host swap was done, came during season 1 in 1969.  I believe it was Orson Bean knew the little boy who was central character and switch seats with Garry Moore.  I could be wrong, but I think it was Orson Bean's idea.

Although a panelist's disqualification from questioning overall, gave the other panelists more time to ask the contestants questions, I have a tape of a 1970/71 episode where Bennett Cerf asked some questions, but then thought he recognized one of the contestants close to where his time was up.  So, Mr. Cerf just disqualified himself from voting, thinking it would only be fair.  Turns out,the person he thoght was the real one, was actually an imposter!  It seemed like he set an example that led to a permanent rule, if I am correct.

Since that time, I'd seen on BUZZR an episode from the original prime-time series where a voting disqualification itself happened with Tom Poston.  That would have been years earlier.

I've also wondered, if on TTTT or WML, if there were many occurrences where more than one panelist disqualified him/herself.  I did see one occurrence on WML from around 1972.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 03:59:47 PM »
I think the rule did date back to the Collyer version. I was listening to the Gilbert Gottfried podcast with Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss, and she brought up William Burroughs. That ticked my mind into remembering Orson's dad William Burroughs (not the same one) was on and Orson disqualified himself right away ("My real name is Dallas Burroughs and one of these men is my father!"). I think in that situation though, it would be really hard to at least try to make the appearance of being unbiased in questioning.

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »
I've also wondered, if on TTTT or WML, if there were many occurrences where more than one panelist disqualified him/herself.  I did see one occurrence on WML from around 1972.

Here's a triple disqualification from the 1990-91 run.

https://youtu.be/1mpA29K9tRY

I also have somewhere in my videotape collection a triple disqualification from 1972; Peggy Cass, Orson Bean, and Kitty Carlisle had all seen the central character on Today, leaving Jack Cassidy to cast the only vote.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:06:49 PM by calliaume »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 10:35:26 PM »
Was there ever a quadruple disqualification?
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Bryce L.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 10:38:48 PM »
Was there ever a quadruple disqualification?
Only if there was a job listing posted for a new contestant coordinator immediately after that taping.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 07:14:16 AM »
Have there been any disqualifications on the new version?

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 07:56:16 AM »
Twice,  both times Mama Doris plays in the place.  The "weird" al disqualification was clearly planned.     The person wrote Madanna's Like a Virgin,  and since Al always got permission  for his parodies he knew. 

The other Michael Strahan said he had met the person on Good Morning America.