Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rod’s PYL plugs  (Read 1965 times)

cmjb13

Rod’s PYL plugs
« on: September 18, 2021, 04:03:20 PM »
Watched an episode of PYL today. At the end, Rod read through the plugs very fast.

Did he record it that fast or was it a normal read just sped up?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tyshaun1

Re: Rod’s PYL plugs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 07:35:38 AM »
Watched an episode of PYL today. At the end, Rod read through the plugs very fast.

Did he record it that fast or was it a normal read just sped up?
All of Rod's fee plug reads were recorded in advance of taping (and listening to Rod read the fee plugs on Whew!, you can understand why; Bill Carruthers was the director on both shows) so not sure what you mean. They possibly could've sped it up a bit if they were short on time, but it wouldn't have been deliberate.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 10:49:46 AM »
All of Rod's fee plug reads were recorded in advance of taping

I kind of figured they were pre-recorded or done in post-prod; it seemed odd that Rod would've used a "narrator voice" to run through the plugs while the audience was in full gear. (Sweetening would have made that a moot point though, unless they were blasting it into Rod's headphones) As Tyshaun alluded to, Rod was basically yelling the plugs on "Whew!". I, however, wouldn't chalk that to a loud audience (it seems to me they used plenty of sweetening on "Whew!"), but to the fact that that was his first game show gig.

Buzzr recently reran some PYL eps. with John Harlan filling in for Rod; he too read the plugs with a more mellow "narrator" type voice.

ET206

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 01:35:20 AM »
There's an episode where Peter reads a poem ("Who is this man called Rod Roddy?") and walks over to Rod's podium.  When Peter finishes the poem, he and Rod sign off together.  Immediately the fee plugs begin with Rod reading in a more calm, narrator-like voice.  Now that I know those were pre-recorded, it makes sense how his voice changed instantly, especially since he and Peter were looking at the camera and a few audience members were frantically waving (one even bumped the lamp).

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 09:32:51 AM »
Rod Roddy on Soap and Rod Roddy on Whew sounded like two different people.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »
Rod Roddy on Soap and Rod Roddy on Whew sounded like two different people.

Any TPIR showcase that Rod had an on-camera involvement in was obviously pre-recorded.  But they definitely sounded different than his live reads.

It was harder to discern whether the first few moments of a Johnny Olson announced showcase was live read or pre-recorded as Johnny's style was more consistent.