Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about my own Feud survey  (Read 1455 times)

SamPrainito

Question about my own Feud survey
« on: September 12, 2021, 09:18:06 PM »
For the last few months, I've been hosting a weekly "Feud" game at a local bar.  I've gotten by with questions from the show and the board games.  I've just recently figured out how to do my own surveys using Google Forms, and the first survey was just completed.

My question is, when two answers have the same points, which one gets listed first?  Especially when they are both proper names.  For example, Donald Trump and Joe Biden, and both have 25 points.  Is Trump first for the "D" an Biden second for the "J", or is it by last name?  Same with another question.  Britney Spears and Royal Family have the same points.

I realize this is really inconsequential, but I'd appreciate the help.

I'm happy to post the results of the survey here.

Thanks!

-Sam

nowhammies10

Re: Question about my own Feud survey
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 11:12:02 PM »
Functionally, it doesn't matter. Usually if it's proper names I go alphabetically by last name; in your 2nd example I would probably list Britney first, giving precedence to the individual rather than the collective.

I recall that if both answers given in the Face-Off are tied in value (and #1 on the board was not revealed first), then the team who answered first is deemed to have won the Face-Off.  Using your first pair as an example, let us assume that Trump is ranked #2 on the board and Biden #1 and both score 25 points. If the first team to ring in gave Trump as their answer and the second team gave Biden, the team who said Trump gets the choice to pass or play.

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 11:31:12 PM »
Using your first pair as an example, let us assume that Trump is ranked #2 on the board and Biden #1 and both score 25 points. If the first team to ring in gave Trump as their answer and the second team gave Biden, the team who said Trump gets the choice to pass or play.
I seem to recall something like this happening once on a Dawson episode, and in that case he explicitly said there were joint #1 answers, and finding either one would automatically win the faceoff. Thus, by that rule, if the first team rang in with "Biden", you'd go straight into the "pass or play" spiel.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 12:52:28 AM »
I recall that if both answers given in the Face-Off are tied in value (and #1 on the board was not revealed first), then the team who answered first is deemed to have won the Face-Off. 

That's how it would play out if, for example, #3 and #4 were tied and given. If #1 and #2 are tied, they generally announce that ahead of time as Bryce mentioned.

SamPrainito

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 01:14:13 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!

I suppose nwhammies10 is right.  Functionally, it doesn't matter.  Especially the way we're playing the game.  It's more a hybrid of pub trivia and Feud.  I've been doing trivia and music bingo for a long time,  I've learned to anticipate things, and who to expect them from.  I just know I'll have that ONE GUY that says "Hey, wait a minute...."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 01:48:53 AM »
The other thing you can do is ask one person who won’t play to choose one of the answers and that one gets promoted via an additional point.
Travis L. Eberle

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 04:27:40 AM »
Related to Travis' post, since this isn't for broadcast, no serious money involved, etc., I don't see an ethical problem with you fudging the survey by one point ahead of time to eliminate the situation. You can be the tiebreaking survey responder prior to the game ever being played.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 05:45:57 AM »
I feel like in the Dawson/Combs days, tied answers would be sorted alphabetically. On the current show, there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to which among the tied answers is listed first.

For the record, while Dawson may have announced joint top answers before the face-off, on the current version of the show, when there's a tie between #1 and #2, nothing is announced beforehand and the producers treat things the same way as any other tie. Yes, that means that if the contestant who rings in gives the answer listed as #1, then Steve immediately goes to the "play or pass" option, whereas if the contestant who rings in gives the answer listed as #2, then their opponent is given a chance to also give an answer, even though there's no way the opponent can take control.