Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows That "Assumed" You Knew Everything About Rules/Scoring.  (Read 4370 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: Shows That "Assumed" You Knew Everything About Rules/Scoring.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 06:16:37 AM »
Drew does a piss-poor job explaining the majority of times.

Probably because he barely knows them himself.

Just farkin' explain to the poor girl that she's gotta get to $6.75! Who cares about the $7.00 business?

A case could be made that you're misleading the contestant or misstating the rules by leaving out the $7.00 part. That's a critical part of the game.

nowhammies10

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 11:26:15 AM »
Just farkin' explain to the poor girl that she's gotta get to $6.75! Who cares about the $7.00 business?

A case could be made that you're misleading the contestant or misstating the rules by leaving out the $7.00 part. That's a critical part of the game.

Sure, I see that, but if you emphasize that the winning range is $6.75-$7.00, rather than emphasizing the winning range as $6.75-$7.00, I think you're covered.

Bob needed to figure out how to explain that there was a range in which the contestant could win the game. He didn't do that for a few years.

That Don Guy

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 12:26:48 PM »
On the other side of the Atlantic, Countdown has entered the "on for long enough that it's assumed everyone tuning in knows the rules" category, although even in the videos I've seen of the early days they didn't seem to explain them in a lot of detail.

Speaking of "the other side of the Atlantic," every season, University Challenge seems to get to a point where the host pretty much assumes - out loud - that everybody watching knows the rules by then.