Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Possible good news.....  (Read 4048 times)

zachhoran

Possible good news.....
« on: February 25, 2004, 12:01:14 PM »
In the wake of Pyramid and Squares cancellations, add Ricki Lake's 11 year old talk show to the list of cancelled syndicated programs. Lake, as per an article in the NY Post, has decided not to continue her show for season 12.

Don Howard

Possible good news.....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 12:20:33 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 12:01 PM\'] In the wake of Pyramid and Squares cancellations, add Ricki Lake's 11 year old talk show to the list of cancelled syndicated programs. Lake, as per an article in the NY Post, has decided not to continue her show for season 12. [/quote]
 If Lake made the decision, the show wasn't cancelled. It's being discontinued.

uncamark

Possible good news.....
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 05:08:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 12:20 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 12:01 PM\'] In the wake of Pyramid and Squares cancellations, add Ricki Lake's 11 year old talk show to the list of cancelled syndicated programs. Lake, as per an article in the NY Post, has decided not to continue her show for season 12. [/quote]
If Lake made the decision, the show wasn't cancelled. It's being discontinued.[/quote]
Yeah, but all signs were pointing towards the end (and the show had been running on fumes for the last of couple of years).  If she hadn't jumped, Sony would've pushed.

DrJWJustice

Possible good news.....
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 05:15:44 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 05:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 12:20 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 12:01 PM\'] In the wake of Pyramid and Squares cancellations, add Ricki Lake's 11 year old talk show to the list of cancelled syndicated programs. Lake, as per an article in the NY Post, has decided not to continue her show for season 12. [/quote]
If Lake made the decision, the show wasn't cancelled. It's being discontinued.[/quote]
Yeah, but all signs were pointing towards the end (and the show had been running on fumes for the last of couple of years).  If she hadn't jumped, Sony would've pushed. [/quote]
 I dunno - I can hardly tell the difference any more -- save for the different hosts and sets.  The stuff they talk about is almost always the same crap -- except Oprah, and she's voluntarily retiring her show before it starts running on fumes itself.

Robert Hutchinson

Possible good news.....
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 06:09:51 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 05:15 PM\']The stuff they talk about is almost always the same crap -- except Oprah, and she's voluntarily retiring her show before it starts running on fumes itself.[/quote]
So, she's invented a time machine, then?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

dzinkin

Possible good news.....
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 06:13:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 06:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 05:15 PM\']The stuff they talk about is almost always the same crap -- except Oprah, and she's voluntarily retiring her show before it starts running on fumes itself.[/quote]
So, she's invented a time machine, then? [/quote]
 If she has. maybe we can borrow it to get back some old tapes. :-D

uncamark

Possible good news.....
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 06:35:58 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 05:15 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 05:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 12:20 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 12:01 PM\'] In the wake of Pyramid and Squares cancellations, add Ricki Lake's 11 year old talk show to the list of cancelled syndicated programs. Lake, as per an article in the NY Post, has decided not to continue her show for season 12. [/quote]
Yeah, but all signs were pointing towards the end (and the show had been running on fumes for the last of couple of years).  If she hadn't jumped, Sony would've pushed. [/quote]
I dunno - I can hardly tell the difference any more -- save for the different hosts and sets.  The stuff they talk about is almost always the same crap -- except Oprah, and she's voluntarily retiring her show before it starts running on fumes itself. [/quote]
 Uh, she's not.  Nothing like a little money from Mel Karmazin to change a woman's mind.  :)

MaryM7643

Possible good news.....
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 07:01:57 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 12:01 PM\']In the wake of Pyramid and Squares cancellations, add Ricki Lake's 11 year old talk show to the list of cancelled syndicated programs. Lake, as per an article in the NY Post, has decided not to continue her show for season 12.[/quote]
Jerry Springer and Maury will possibly be gone by the 2005-2006 season. That's when both contracts run out. :)

GSWitch

Possible good news.....
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 08:03:35 PM »
[quote name=\'MaryM7643\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 06:01 PM\'] Jerry Springer and Maury will possibly be gone by the 2005-2006 season. That's when both contracts run out. :) [/quote]
 Even though they both hosted game shows.

Of course you know Maury did 21, but interestingly enough, Jerry Springer hosted the British version of Greed!

It would be something if Jerry did a U.S. game show (LOL)!

scully24

Possible good news.....
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 08:07:39 PM »
interestingly enough, Jerry Springer hosted the British version of Greed!

I wonder if Springer's American accent was as unintelligible to British viewers as Anne Robinson's was to America.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 08:08:12 PM by scully24 »

bclark71

Possible good news.....
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 09:12:04 PM »
GSWitch wrote:
It would be something if Jerry [Springer] did a U.S. game show (LOL)!

I consider Jerry Springer to be a game show because I try to guess how many minutes into each show some chick will expose her breasts:

ME:  I say four minutes.
MY WIFE:  I'll say lower.

Loser has to go get the winner a Coke from the fridge.

ChuckNet

Possible good news.....
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 09:41:38 PM »
Jerry Springer and Maury will possibly be gone by the 2005-2006 season. That's when both contracts run out. :)

Actually, Springer's contract expires at the end of next season, during which he wants to end the show anyway, to pursue a Senatorial run.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

TimK2003

Possible good news.....
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 08:27:55 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 09:41 PM\']

Actually, Springer's contract expires at the end of next season, during which he wants to end the show anyway, to pursue a Senatorial run.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
Oh great!

Just what the state of Ohio needs -- ANOTHER political candidate that thinks they can change the world AND win with less than 10% of the state backing them....

And if Bob "Taftquack" Taft keeps up his current pace as governor, he'll be joining the Hall Of Flame class of Kucinich & Springer in 2006 as well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 08:28:43 PM by TimK2003 »

CaseyAbell

Possible good news.....
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 09:04:29 AM »
As Marc Berman pointed out in his Mediaweek column, lots of syndie talkers are biting the dust this year: Ricki, Sharon Osbourne, John Edward, John Walsh, Wayne Brady.

This may clear out some syndie timeslots, but game shows won't necessarily benefit as a result. As Berman also points out, the big growth this year for Millionaire and Feud appears to be the best-kept secret in syndication. Studio gamers can't seem to shake that reputation for skewing old. Pyramid grew very respectably this year in households and still got axed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 09:07:30 AM by CaseyAbell »

uncamark

Possible good news.....
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 04:56:19 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Mar 19 2004, 09:04 AM\']As Marc Berman pointed out in his Mediaweek column, lots of syndie talkers are biting the dust this year: Ricki, Sharon Osbourne, John Edward, John Walsh, Wayne Brady.

This may clear out some syndie timeslots, but game shows won't necessarily benefit as a result. As Berman also points out, the big growth this year for Millionaire and Feud appears to be the best-kept secret in syndication. Studio gamers can't seem to shake that reputation for skewing old. Pyramid grew very respectably this year in households and still got axed.[/quote]
Berman also made a career suggestion to Donny Osmond, who also had his Sony talk show with Marie prematurely cancelled--next time, work for someone other than Sony.

In fact, I think that "Pyramid" and the talk show were both taped on the same Sony soundstage--correct?