Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr Lost and Found 2021  (Read 20521 times)

Otm Shank

Re: Buzzr Lost and Found 2021
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2021, 12:49:53 AM »
I kinda wished that the block countdown lights would have stayed. In the other episodes I've watched, I was always worried (me worrying about a game show that aired 11 years before I was born...) that Tom's/the audience's 4-3-2-1 shouting would take longer than 5 seconds, but checking the timing using my phone's timer countdown app, starting the 5 second countdown from the sound of the buzzer, it was always pretty close, even in the instances of Tom and the audience being out of sync.

Any chance that the countdown was recorded? I mean, the studio audience certainly participated, but was there a base countdown that everyone was matching up with? That's the only way I could see that done consistently

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2021, 12:52:50 AM »
Any chance that the countdown was recorded? I mean, the studio audience certainly participated, but was there a base countdown that everyone was matching up with? That's the only way I could see that done consistently

On a recent run of Buzzr eps, you can clearly hear somebody starting/leading the countdown, beginning with a "FIVE!!!" while the block horn/buzzer is sounding. Somebody on staff was no doubt helping lead the audience, not unlike an announcer or warm-up person would do for applause.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2021, 01:27:19 AM »
Are we sure there wasn't also a five-second "official" clock offstage that the contestant could see?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2021, 01:50:32 AM »
Happy early Christmas, guys

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jd3TpUOW557URvPmtZbcFRiIe1Y5LPpK/view?usp=sharing

Thank you Bryce - worked great!

With all the Lost and Found stuff BUZZR's aired over the years, you start to wonder what they could possibly have left for future marathons.  Hopefully there's more goodies to come in the future!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Bryce L.

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2021, 01:58:07 AM »
With all the Lost and Found stuff BUZZR's aired over the years, you start to wonder what they could possibly have left for future marathons.  Hopefully there's more goodies to come in the future!
Well, there is at least one ABC-era Password in broadcast-worthy condition (the Somers/Klugman one GSN aired), perhaps they could run that (the right way - no credit crunch!). I'm sure there's a number of other things in the UCLA and/or Paley collections that would be worthwhile as well.

And you guys are quite welcome :)

Kniwt

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2021, 04:37:15 AM »
Back in the good old days when GSN ran unaired pilots, I seem to remember them often running a disclaimer that said something like "this isn't a real show; the prizes might not have really been won." Didn't see this with the pilots here.

If anything, I'd think that since Buzzr has over-the-air affiliates subject to FCC rules, Buzzr would have to be more proactive than GSN about such things. Or has humanity evolved to the point where everyone knows -- or simply doesn't care -- that 60-year-old game show pilots are as fake as Jimmy Carr's hair? :)

Edit: Found one:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:51:42 AM by Kniwt »

SuperMatch93

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2021, 06:33:55 AM »
I'm sure there's a number of other things in the UCLA and/or Paley collections that would be worthwhile as well.

One thing that comes to mind are those recordings of the NBC daytime lineup from 1971 and 73. I know those shows are apparently unplayable on their equipment, but do we know whether that means the tapes are in bad shape, or do they just not have the necessary equipment to play them back?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

JMFabiano

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »
Well, there is at least one ABC-era Password in broadcast-worthy condition (the Somers/Klugman one GSN aired), perhaps they could run that (the right way - no credit crunch!). I'm sure there's a number of other things in the UCLA and/or Paley collections that would be worthwhile as well.

And you guys are quite welcome :)

If they have the MG/HS pilot (some of you may consider that sadism though) I am still curious to see how that played out.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

gamed121683

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2021, 09:54:07 AM »
I'm sure there's a number of other things in the UCLA and/or Paley collections that would be worthwhile as well.

One thing that comes to mind are those recordings of the NBC daytime lineup from 1971 and 73. I know those shows are apparently unplayable on their equipment, but do we know whether that means the tapes are in bad shape, or do they just not have the necessary equipment to play them back?

Well, I know that the UCLA Archives have a few episodes of Tom Kennedy's "Split Second" along with a handful of ABC "Password"'s. Do they also have the Andy Warhol Archive? I seem to recall hearing about plenty of rare game shows in that collection.

Bryce L.

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »

Well, I know that the UCLA Archives have a few episodes of Tom Kennedy's "Split Second" along with a handful of ABC "Password"'s. Do they also have the Andy Warhol Archive? I seem to recall hearing about plenty of rare game shows in that collection.
AFAIK the Warhol Archive is part of the Paley material.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2021, 11:02:19 AM »

I have two 16mm films that would be valid Lost & Found choices.  (Many of us have the video for one of them.)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2021, 11:13:13 AM »
In the Whew! pilot (whew! glad they got rid of the green shag carpet on the podia for the run!) there are a couple of little boxes on the upstage side of the Charger podium. It looked like one of them was showing "1" at one point, but that might have just been a reflection of something else. Anybody know what they were?
czambo@mac.com

That Don Guy

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2021, 11:47:06 AM »

Wasn't this also the problem with the first two seasons of The Joker's Wild (and the complete run of Spin-Off) that were found at WCBS - the tapes were in good shape, but had to be converted, and expensively at that (which, in part, led to the decision not to do Spin-Off)?

mmb5

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2021, 07:26:36 PM »
Barely Useful Fact: The ABC Passwords at UCLA are in B&W.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

BillCullen1

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2021, 10:33:17 PM »
Take Your Choice was rather cute. Not as fun as Two For The Money, but not terrible. And...Dick was clearly not sober during that Mindreaders pilot. Entirely understandable. ;D

G-T really liked Fred Allen. They let him host Judge For Yourself and be a panelist on WML in addition to hosting Take Your Choice. $5K was a lot of money back then. We also got to see Fred's wife, Portland Hoffa who brought on contestants and Tex Antoine, who became a weatherman in the NYC area.

CNR did several pilots for G-T. He also did Spell Binders and Star Words in addition to Mindreaders.