Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two changes for WoF Season 39  (Read 16922 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Two changes for WoF Season 39
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2021, 04:59:14 PM »
-- "Changing Keys" returns as the theme with a "modernized arrangement"
With so many classic prime time games - mainly the ones on (wait for it) ABC - rearranging their more familiar shows, I wonder if the Wheel crew realized it makes sense to bring back "Changing Keys" in some form or another.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2021, 04:59:59 PM »

-- "Changing Keys" returns as the theme with a "modernized arrangement"
Hey how 'bout that. Nice touch returning to familiarity after...has it been 20 years since Changing Keys was replaced?
 I hope "modernized" doesn't just mean the main melody for a couple bars at the beginning and end serving as bookends for random vamp in the middle, like the last couple of themes have been.

Otm Shank

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2021, 05:02:53 PM »
Cautiously reserved on the "modernized arrangement" part

nowhammies10

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2021, 05:06:57 PM »
For those playing along at home, Wheel hasn't had $850 as a value on the wheel since 1979.

/we can have that but we can't have a bog-standard $1000 wedge
//give me back my Double Play while you're at it

whewfan

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2021, 05:26:07 PM »
I thought Pat said he wouldn't renew, but I guess with Richards gone, maybe he changed his mind.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2021, 06:22:05 PM »
I am so glad to see the Free Play go. I just found it more of an annoyance than it was worth.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2021, 06:34:55 PM »
I am so glad to see the Free Play go. I just found it more of an annoyance than it was worth.
My issue was nobody ever used it the way I would have used it. Everybody landed on it and just called the letter they were going to call anyway. If I land on Free Play, I ask for a Q, an X, or a Z. If it's not up there, I can keep playing. If it is up there, I just got a bit of help that players usually don't get when those letters are in the puzzle.

TimK2003

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2021, 08:19:41 PM »
I thought Pat said he wouldn't renew, but I guess with Richards gone, maybe he changed his mind.

I'm sure he had a bit more leverage in his favor when naming his terms for the extention.  I don't think Sony wants to have to start looking for Pat and Vanna's replacements at the moment.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2021, 10:36:16 PM »
My issue was nobody ever used it the way I would have used it. Everybody landed on it and just called the letter they were going to call anyway.

They called the vowel they were going to call anyway, as they wanted to save the $250.

If were a contestant who landed on Free Play, I would have combined the contestants' strategy with your strategy and called for a U.

Am I correct that Free Play immediately replaced the Free Spin token that was attached to the wheel? In other words, is this the first season in which there is no "Free ____"?

Bryce L.

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2021, 10:42:12 PM »
Am I correct that Free Play immediately replaced the Free Spin token that was attached to the wheel? In other words, is this the first season in which there is no "Free ____"?
Yes, on both counts.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2021, 11:08:42 PM »
-- Pat adds "consulting producer" to his business card
Wasn't he that in Season 38? He had some sort of nominal producer credit.
This signature is currently under construction.

Bob Zager

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2021, 10:23:59 AM »
-- Pat adds "consulting producer" to his business card
Wasn't he that in Season 38? He had some sort of nominal producer credit.

Yes, that's right!  And Ken Jennings assumed the same role on J!

I'm wonder if under the new "Final Spin," rule; whether the amount is determined by the controlling players arrow, or the usual red player's arrow.

Reportedly, Sajak said this about the "Final Spin," change:

“If you think about it, by doing the ‘final spin,’ I, as host, had an impact on the outcome of the game and that has always bothered me because it just didn’t feel right.  With this change, only the contestants determine the outcome of the game and the host does not impose themself in any way.”

TimK2003

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2021, 09:23:46 PM »

JohnXXVII

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2021, 04:30:18 AM »
Reportedly, Sajak said this about the "Final Spin," change:

“If you think about it, by doing the ‘final spin,’ I, as host, had an impact on the outcome of the game and that has always bothered me because it just didn’t feel right.  With this change, only the contestants determine the outcome of the game and the host does not impose themself in any way.”

If you think about it, it only took the producers 40 years to change something that Pat "just didn't feel right" about, that "always bothered" him..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 04:32:53 AM by knagl »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2021, 07:08:10 PM »
Another wrinkle for the new season:  Pat Sajak's daughter will be a part of the show as well:

https://www.today.com/popculture/wheel-fortune-announces-changes-including-pat-sajak-s-daughter-s-t230454?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm
So, not to get too presumptuous considering all we've been through this season...is she being groomed to replace Vanna? She's becoming a larger on screen presence, so everyone will become very familiar with her by 2024. Plus, she's pretty.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.