Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why are infomercials only run overnight?  (Read 7493 times)

zachhoran

Why are infomercials only run overnight?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2004, 07:09:30 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 5 2004, 04:11 PM\'] And when the CBS O&Os ran infomercials in prime access instead of regular programming a couple of years ago (not during sweeps), Les Moonves raised holy hell with Karmazin--and justifiably, since infomercials before prime time means fewer potential bodies for his shows.  If I were a station executive, the station I ran would have to be chronically hard up to even *consider* running an audience chaser like infomercials in *any* high profile time slot. [/quote]
 Though not quite an infomercial, KYW in Philly has preempted Squares on several occasions for a Temple University health-related special.

rugrats1

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2004, 12:52:27 AM »
What's really annoying is when your local ABC affiliate (WTNH-8 / Hartford-New Haven) decides to randomly dump Wheel of Fortune for an infomercial here and there. #1 syndicated game show in the country needs to be bumped for infomercial time? Gimme... a break.

Was it the weekday shows, or the weekend edition? My Wheel station in Tampa bay, WTSP ch.10, very occasionally bumps the weekend Wheel or Jeopardy for infomercials, but never both, and never the weekday version.

But of course, don't say the stations never tried -- in Flint-Saginaw, WNEM ch.5, which carries Wheel and Jeopardy, bumped both shows on Friday 12/12/2003, for an hour of infomercials -- both featuring 50s and 60s music offers.

The next day (12/13/2003), WNEM treaded on the first half The Price Is Right $1M Spectacular, due to a Billy Graham special, which they were obligated to show. This was after a basketball game went long, and they had to squeeze in the post-game show and the local news in their entirety.

adamjk

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2004, 01:12:43 PM »
My NBC affliate occasionally dumps Saturday Wheelm eps for infomercials.