Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN and C-Band  (Read 4552 times)

Ian Wallis

GSN and C-Band
« on: February 23, 2004, 08:47:28 AM »
I was watching GSN for a while this weekend, and at the top of every hour they're running a brief notice that states:

"Effective March 8, 2004, GSN will no longer be available on C-Band.  Contact your local satellite dealer for details".

I'm not sure how many still have these dishes, but for people like me it looks like I'll be GSN-less for a while until I get an alternative.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DYosua

GSN and C-Band
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 09:14:11 AM »
I saw that on a C-Band/4DTV forum a couple days ago - that is truly bad news.  It doesn't do me any good while I'm at college, but it's too bad I won't be able to see GSN at home anymore.  This is just another part of the movement away from C-Band to newer digital technologies.  In fact, the satellite guide OnSat reported a few months ago that the number of C-Band subscriptions have fallen below 500,000.  Quite a shame.

aaron sica

GSN and C-Band
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 09:41:53 AM »
That is truly a shame...That's the first place I ever got to see GSN (when it was TRULY a sight to behold), long before it hit most cable systems and definitely the little dishes...

Good old G7-6, I'd bug people with BUD's to tape some of it for me...

Matt Ottinger

GSN and C-Band
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 12:55:29 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 10:41 AM\'] Good old G7-6 [/quote]
 Man, I hadn't thought about that in a long time.  I got to see GSN from the beginning by virtue of working in a school district that had invested heavily in satellite technology and then didn't do anything with it.  I had four dishes all to myself, and one of them was always tuned to G7, T6.

And how to remember?  Goodson (the "G") has seven letters, Todman (the "T") has six.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

combsisthebest

GSN and C-Band
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 07:15:24 PM »
Wow that's too bad. I don't know if we had our C-Band connected at the time (it's not connected now) GSN premired, etc. We've had the satellite out there in the backyard (the satellite is HUGE) for a long time, but don't use it anymore. Again too bad that C-Band is fading out, of course, it is not something that surprises me.

vtown7

GSN and C-Band
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 09:11:41 PM »
Ah G7-6.  Thanks for the memories (and my tolerant friends with their dishes up here in the Great White North).

Salut,

Ryan :)

dzinkin

GSN and C-Band
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 09:48:03 PM »
Just found this in rec.video.satellite.tvro -- I've removed some header lines for brevity but the message body is intact.

- David

Newsgroups: rec.video.satellite.tvro
Subject: GSN Move
NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:30:35 EST

Game Show Network's migration from analog to digital has placed it on 4DTV X4 channel 643. Digital service began officially on March 1, and it is now in the channel maps. Analog service ceases on March 8.

rugrats1

GSN and C-Band
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 01:00:51 AM »
Game Show Network's migration from analog to digital has placed it on 4DTV X4 channel 643. Digital service began officially on March 1, and it is now in the channel maps. Analog service ceases on March 8.

"Effective March 8, 2004, GSN will no longer be available on C-Band. Contact your local satellite dealer for details".

This means that GSN hadn't left C-Band -- it merely swapped analog for digital.

Many non-techies say that when a channel moves from C-band analog to C-band digital, they say that it's leaving C-Band entirely. Like cable TV, which has analog and digital services, industrial C-band and Ku-Band satellites also have both analog and digital capabilities.

Saying that a channel has moved from C-Band completely is practically like saying that it's removed from cable completely, even though it swapped the method of delivery along the same "pipe" as before.