Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mike Greenberg: No Regrets  (Read 2266 times)

Matt Ottinger

Mike Greenberg: No Regrets
« on: August 18, 2021, 04:41:35 PM »
So I'm listening to Greeny on the radio yesterday, and he's talking about how making an effort is worth it, even if things don't work out.  And out of nowhere, he starts talking about how one of his favorite things ever was doing the game show Duel.  Spent several minutes talking about how much fun it was, and how he'd always wanted to be a game show host, how he's proud of doing it and doesn't regret a thing.  It was a fun listen.

Of course he's also got the greatest line ever for a game show failure: "It was called Duel because the two people who watched it killed themselves."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Re: Mike Greenberg: No Regrets
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 10:52:49 PM »
Admittedly, and I might be in the minority, but it wasn't a bad show to spend my nights of senior year of college watching.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 10:55:28 PM »
It was a fun show that I may need to revisit down the line. IIRC, it aired against 1 vs. 100, so I'd flip back and forth between the two.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 11:39:01 PM »
I like trivia so I enjoyed the show for the short time it aired. Greeny was competent as a host. He kept the game moving.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 06:00:15 PM »
I thought they really had something when they tweaked the format for Season 2. Would have loved to see someone else take a chance on it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 06:18:53 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 08:07:56 PM »
There's a Twitch streamer named AT_Bash who has been broadcasting his own version of Duel with his community of viewers as players. He just started his fourth season of it. Season 3 was played as a double elimination tournament. This season is played a little closer to what we saw in the US for season 1, but will be culminating in a ladder tournament.

Otm Shank

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 11:58:09 PM »
Of course he's also got the greatest line ever for a game show failure: "It was called Duel because the two people who watched it killed themselves."

That line came from Jeff Ross at a Mike & Mike celebrity roast in 2008, where he also said, "Mike Greenberg is to hosting game shows what Michael Vick is to hosting dog shows."

https://web.archive.org/web/20080117040407/http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/life/story/7527559p-7429056c.html

Neumms

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 05:13:54 PM »
The game itself was terrific, and Greenberg wasn’t bad. The trouble was how they stitched it all together. It was hard if not impossible to understood the championship structure.

I’d love it as a five-day-a-week show. Winners keep playing, every five wins get you a jackpot that increases by the value of chips cleaned off the board.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 09:54:03 PM »
It was a very simple game—cover the right answer. I’m not sure Friday night was the right spot for it. I’m glad MG is happy with how things shook out—all of the dings were elements outside his control, worst in class was the premiere episode with 60m of content stretched to fill 90m of air time.
Travis L. Eberle