Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy article today's NYT  (Read 2088 times)

Card Shark

Jeopardy article today's NYT
« on: August 14, 2021, 11:23:36 AM »
I came across this article this morning: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/14/business/media/jeopardy-mike-richards-ken-jennings.html?searchResultPosition=1. In this article, in regards to Mike Richards, it states, "[Mike Richards] hosted and produced numerous series on the Game Show Network before auditioning to replace Bob Barker on “The Price Is Right.” Drew Carey got the job, but Mr. Richards was brought on as executive producer; his successful 11-year tenure revived the wilting franchise into a hit." He saved The Price Is Right when Drew took over for Bob? Is this a fact?
Adam Strom

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Jeopardy article today's NYT
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 02:37:54 PM »
In this article, in regards to Mike Richards, it states, "[Mike Richards] hosted and produced numerous series on the Game Show Network before auditioning to replace Bob Barker on “The Price Is Right.” Drew Carey got the job, but Mr. Richards was brought on as executive producer; his successful 11-year tenure revived the wilting franchise into a hit." He saved The Price Is Right when Drew took over for Bob? Is this a fact?

It is if you believe Mike Richards' bio, written by Mike Richards' agent.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Card Shark

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 03:21:36 PM »
I guess my original question should have been-was the show doing that badly prior to his arrival? TPIR went through inevitable transitions when Drew became host. But the ratings were really that bad???
Adam Strom

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 03:41:40 PM »
I guess my original question should have been-was the show doing that badly prior to his arrival? TPIR went through inevitable transitions when Drew became host. But the ratings were really that bad???
I don't think they were that bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if the data they had around that time wasn't what they wanted to see. Beyond just game show fans, it was certainly a jolt to go from Bob Barker to Drew Carey and I have to imagine there were many who weren't favorable of the change, and probably wouldn't have been no matter who had been selected as host.

So, I think it's definitely part things might not have been the greatest, but also part embellishment on the part of the writer.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 04:26:08 PM »
The second quarter of 2015 saw the highest second-half hour ratings since 2007. The first-half hour ratings for that quarter were the highest since 2004.

THE PRICE IS RIGHT 1 averaged 4.71m, its largest second quarter audience since 2004, while THE PRICE IS RIGHT 2 averaged 5.41m, its best since 2007.  Both editions registered +2% increases from a year ago.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »
Mr. Richards was brought on as executive producer; his successful 11-year tenure

Yeah, if your idea of "successful" is only 2 lawsuits instead of 12.