Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 124077 times)

Allstar87

Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #480 on: April 05, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »
Only now, they seem to be more about throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  Hence them skipping episodes altogether.

I can confirm they have done this in the past. I have a good chunk of the Body Language skips, and in one of them a contestant simply guessed "midget" when the word being acted out was "elves". It was super easy to mute it out, and they skipped it anyway.

I hate to think that that's the reason for the Whew skips when they can and have simply muted the offending word in the past, but unfortunately there is some evidence this is the case here.

JMFabiano

« Reply #481 on: April 05, 2022, 02:38:27 PM »
Only now, they seem to be more about throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  Hence them skipping episodes altogether.

I can confirm they have done this in the past. I have a good chunk of the Body Language skips, and in one of them a contestant simply guessed "midget" when the word being acted out was "elves". It was super easy to mute it out, and they skipped it anyway.

I hate to think that that's the reason for the Whew skips when they can and have simply muted the offending word in the past, but unfortunately there is some evidence this is the case here.

Think Buzzr is trying to give the viewers what they want, but to a fault.  In that they think of something else we'd dislike equally. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TimK2003

« Reply #482 on: April 05, 2022, 08:47:13 PM »
Again, we do NOT know for sure if Stephen's return for his inaugural trip to the Gauntlet is indeed the episode being skipped.  Maybe I was home from school on a random teacher in service/sick/snow day, or possibly President's Day (I don't think MLK weekend was recognized yet back then)???

Nor do we know that if it is the skipped episode, what is the reason for not airing it ‐‐ it could be a damaged or missing tape,...

One thing that COULD be an advantage to us if Stephen's return episode(s) will not air on Buzzr ‐‐ for whatever reason(s) ‐‐ since the Whew! library more or less came via Winc and their connections, what's to say it could show up in a future edition of Wink's Vault???

Then, the game show fanatics can see it au natural on a website while the Buzzr folk who think it is too controversial to the general public will never see it over the air.

Again, these are all just speculative musings...

Robair

« Reply #483 on: April 05, 2022, 10:42:21 PM »
So for those who didn't see today's show, #175 ended in a tie game. 176 then, if it were THAT episode, would be comprised of the tiebreaker round, then that winner's gauntlet with Joyce or Viscuso, then Stephen's gauntlet, and finally the first round of a new match with the celebrities. No matter, 177 would start with the second round of the match with the Stephen gauntlet played in 176, or a tiebreaker round or gauntlet if no Stephen.
--Robair

gridlockjoe

« Reply #484 on: April 06, 2022, 05:01:04 PM »
So for those who didn't see today's show, #175 ended in a tie game. 176 then, if it were THAT episode, would be comprised of the tiebreaker round, then that winner's gauntlet with Joyce or Viscuso, then Stephen's gauntlet, and finally the first round of a new match with the celebrities. No matter, 177 would start with the second round of the match with the Stephen gauntlet played in 176, or a tiebreaker round or gauntlet if no Stephen.

And the mystery continues because 177 started with a gauntlet. No Stephen.

JMFabiano

« Reply #485 on: April 06, 2022, 06:33:53 PM »

And the mystery continues because 177 started with a gauntlet. No Stephen.

Perhaps if next game is 2-0, we might have a chance?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #486 on: April 08, 2022, 05:13:03 PM »
Unless my math is wrong or I wasn't paying full attention, Monday 4/11's show starts at the Gauntlet with the champ getting 73 seconds.  She won (a record?) $1310 in the main game.

Bryce L.

« Reply #487 on: April 08, 2022, 05:14:43 PM »
Unless my math is wrong or I wasn't paying full attention, Monday 4/11's show starts at the Gauntlet with the champ getting 73 seconds.  She won (a record?) $1310 in the main game.
$10 + $50 = $60
$60 + $30 = $90
$90 + $50 = $140
$140 + $30 = $170
$170 + $500 = $670

$30 + $30 = $60
$60 + $40 = $100
$100 + $20 = $120
$120 + $20 = $140
$140 + $500 = $640

$640 + $670 = $1,310

Your math checks out just fine. And I think you may well be right about that being a record as well.

TimK2003

« Reply #488 on: April 08, 2022, 06:16:55 PM »
One thing I've been noticing in some of the more recent airings (I'm still a few weeks behind in watching recorded episodes) in the Celebrity Whew! era is that the charging teams have been noticeably more successful in winning the round versus the blockers, including a few rounds where the charging team had plenty of time to hit multiple boxes on level 6 as well as several "perfect" rounds (no blocks or wrong answers).

It didn't seem to happen as often in the civilians‐only episodes.  But then again, viewers (and contestants) were still trying to wrap their brains around the format and rules.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #489 on: April 08, 2022, 07:04:02 PM »
One thing I've been noticing in some of the more recent airings (I'm still a few weeks behind in watching recorded episodes) in the Celebrity Whew! era is that the charging teams have been noticeably more successful in winning the round versus the blockers, including a few rounds where the charging team had plenty of time to hit multiple boxes on level 6 as well as several "perfect" rounds (no blocks or wrong answers).

It didn't seem to happen as often in the civilians‐only episodes.  But then again, viewers (and contestants) were still trying to wrap their brains around the format and rules.

I've always thought the best strategy is to load up the blocks on a couple of levels - I think the odds are higher that a couple of them will be hit.  When the contestant only gets to put 3 blocks and the celebrities the other 3, I've noticed that it's usually more scattered.  In the recent episodes I've seen (a couple of weeks behind what BUZZR's currently airing) frequently the chargers don't hit any of them; or maybe just one but still have plenty of time on level six.

Having celebrities definitely seems to change how the game's played.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JMFabiano

« Reply #490 on: April 08, 2022, 07:54:31 PM »

Well the celebrity episodes I find have more easy bloopers, even the further to the right you get on the board.  I've seen some tougher questions though now that we're all-celebrity, so perhaps the writers decided to reinstate a balance once they got used to the new format? 

I've always thought the best strategy is to load up the blocks on a couple of levels - I think the odds are higher that a couple of them will be hit.  When the contestant only gets to put 3 blocks and the celebrities the other 3, I've noticed that it's usually more scattered.  In the recent episodes I've seen (a couple of weeks behind what BUZZR's currently airing) frequently the chargers don't hit any of them; or maybe just one but still have plenty of time on level six.

And that is one of the foibles of the new format.   Putting half your fate in the celebrity's hands.  Other shows do it but it can be awkward on W!  Blocking is better when it's one person's strategy and it has that one continuity to it. 

Bryce L.

« Reply #491 on: April 15, 2022, 04:33:48 PM »
STEPHEN'S ON!

JMFabiano

« Reply #492 on: April 15, 2022, 04:52:39 PM »
STEPHEN'S ON!

Had a feeling since yesterday ended with a Gauntlet win.  Then the final segment kept the retired champ with the two celebrities being interviewed.

BrandonFG

« Reply #493 on: April 15, 2022, 05:54:18 PM »
Our long national nightmare is over
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #494 on: April 15, 2022, 06:51:57 PM »
Our long national nightmare is over

Will this be one of the rerun episodes on Sunday?
No.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)