Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 124059 times)

gridlockjoe

Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #435 on: December 30, 2021, 11:15:44 AM »
For Betty White's birthday, January 17, we are getting two Celebrity Whew! episodes. Buzzr is labeling these as 224 and 225. However, by my reckoning, 224 and 225 feature Carolyn Jones and Michael Young from 3/19/80 and 3/20/80, the week before Betty and Richard Kline are on (3/26-3/28).
I expect my numbering will be off somewhere.

My best guess is that the network swapped the Betty White/Richard Kline three-day run into the Wed 3/19-Fri 3/21 slot, and moved the Carolyn Jones/Michael Young five-day run into the full week from Mon 3/24-Fri 3/28, and that TV Guide didn't get the memo. Without a time machine or the adjoining episodes, we won't know for sure.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #436 on: December 31, 2021, 02:17:36 PM »
A reminder that 92 was one of the episodes where the commercial breaks were mistimed the first time it aired on BUZZR, for those people wanting (hopefully) a flawless version.  It's also a great episode.

Thanks very much for the tip on this - I was quite happy to get this one fixed. It really is a great representative episode to show people new to the show. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

KrisW73

« Reply #437 on: March 08, 2022, 05:08:33 PM »
I caught a very quick glance of today's episode - was the female contestant Sarabeth (can't think of her last name) from Face the Music and DD '76?

BrandonFG

« Reply #438 on: March 08, 2022, 05:27:22 PM »
The FtM contestant was Sarabeth Rothfeld. I found an old interview she did, and there's no mention of Whew!.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #439 on: March 08, 2022, 06:01:25 PM »
I caught a very quick glance of today's episode - was the female contestant Sarabeth (can't think of her last name) from Face the Music and DD '76?
The Whew contestant's name was Elizabeth Russell, so I don't think so.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

KrisW73

« Reply #440 on: March 09, 2022, 07:53:52 AM »
The FtM contestant was Sarabeth Rothfeld. I found an old interview she did, and there's no mention of Whew!.

Cool! Thank you for finding that!

The Whew contestant's name was Elizabeth Russell, so I don't think so.

Thank you - I was only able to take a quick glance as I was running out the door - I couldn't read her name tag.

Bryce L.

« Reply #441 on: March 09, 2022, 04:55:47 PM »
...is today's show the first time someone's managed to call all three spaces in Level 6 in a single round?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #442 on: March 09, 2022, 05:05:12 PM »
The third time on shows BUZZR has aired.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #443 on: March 10, 2022, 03:25:39 PM »
I have a BUZZR streaming question.

I've noticed the past month or so that their website is accessible in Canada again, but when I try to watch live, I'm getting an error that states
"the media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported".

I was in Florida last week spending time with my parents at their condo.  They have BUZZR on their cable system, but just for fun I also tried the website on their computer, which they leave there year-round.  It's getting the same error message in Florida that it is here.  It worked fine on PlutoTV in Florida but not BUZZR's own website.

Since this doesn't seem to be a "north of the border" problem, is everyone experiencing this?  It seems kind of odd they'd let that error be there for so long.

Just wondering how people are streaming these days.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Bryce L.

« Reply #444 on: March 10, 2022, 03:43:13 PM »
How I'm able to do it, is by extracting the m3u8 link from the source code of the page (PM me if you want the link), and then paste that link into the "Open Network Stream" feature of VLC Media Player (that's also how I record the stream as well).

tvmitch

« Reply #445 on: March 10, 2022, 07:34:48 PM »
I have an old PC running Channels DVR server, which records a Buzzr stream that is authenticated via a free Sling TV account.

It works flawlessly, but is not totally free. Channels DVR costs $8/month, but brings with it a very nice program guide and lots of other features. I do have my home antenna and some other sources that feed into Channels, so it's not all for Buzzr...but Buzzr was my primary driver in figuring out a solution like this.

I do know that Channels works with Canadian sources, and you can easily plug in many different sources, so it may work for you if you have an old computer lying around that can run it.
You should follow me on Twitter

trainman

« Reply #446 on: March 11, 2022, 01:39:46 AM »
Streaming on the website seems to be working fine for me. (I can also get the OTA broadcast on this computer. Streaming is about 5 seconds behind.)

trainman is a man of trains

JohnXXVII

« Reply #447 on: March 17, 2022, 10:38:28 PM »
If there was one show that didn't need celebrities, it was Whew! The celebrities add next to nothing. They just take away time from the contestants.

I just watched the last non-celebrity week. It's interesting how there is no mention of the celebrities coming back and being permanent. Also interesting how it just happened to end on a Gauntlet win. (There were 3 wins that week!) There were some really quirky contestants, like Glenn (I wonder what he sold) and Phyllis, with her inadvertent blooper that no one has scored on her yet (her hobby was being a goalie on a soccer team). Quirky contestants are one of the charms of Whew! Having celebrities dilutes that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 04:30:40 PM by JohnXXVII »

snowpeck

« Reply #448 on: March 17, 2022, 11:48:06 PM »
I just watched the last non-celebrity week. It's interesting how there is no mention of the celebrities coming back and being permanent.
That's one of the factors that leads me to believe that week was taped immediately following the previous non-celebrity week and before all three trial celebrity weeks.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #449 on: March 18, 2022, 04:44:58 PM »
I watched that week while in Florida recently, and I agree that it was likely taped before the three-week "trial" started.  It seems odd they'd schedule the episodes that way - especially since there was no continuity between who the contestants were between those weeks.  I guess they were lucky it ended on a gauntlet win.

My only guess is that CBS wanted to start both Beat the Clock and Whew! with celebrities on the same day.

I agree that they don't really add anything to the show, but if it saved them from being cancelled I guess they had to go along with it.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!