Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 124085 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #315 on: October 25, 2021, 08:43:24 PM »
As far as Pacific listings, I would suggest using this link, but not sure if it would help much...

https://buzzrtv.com/schedule/schedule_by_date/21-10-25/America/Los_Angeles

Just change dates as necessary.

Much appreciated, but the point is that NextDVR needs a JSON feed so I can make a streaming channel source simulate a regular TV channel for the purpose of adding it to the program grid, so that I can recording it like any other DVR recording. That's where Schedules Direct comes in. (So basically where my cable system doesn't have a channel 686, I stuck the BUZZR feed there.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

« Reply #316 on: October 26, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »
Rod cracked up doing announcements a lot.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Nick

« Reply #317 on: October 26, 2021, 03:44:32 PM »
Rod cracked up doing announcements a lot.

On a similar note, can anybody who's worked on the production side of the house on a show such as this explain why Rod literally shouted every line of copy he had?  I'm assuming he was stationed in the usual spot at stage left for announcers in Studio 33.  Was the crowd really that wild that he couldn't hear himself through his headset, or is there another plausible explanation aside from, "It's Rod Roddy"?  I know Rod's game show repertoire through the '80s is typified by his overly-enthusiastic delivery, but he's just so over the top on Whew! that it's grating on the ears.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #318 on: October 26, 2021, 04:08:15 PM »
On a similar note, can anybody who's worked on the production side of the house on a show such as this explain why Rod literally shouted every line of copy he had?  I'm assuming he was stationed in the usual spot at stage left for announcers in Studio 33.  Was the crowd really that wild that he couldn't hear himself through his headset, or is there another plausible explanation aside from, "It's Rod Roddy"?  I know Rod's game show repertoire through the '80s is typified by his overly-enthusiastic delivery, but he's just so over the top on Whew! that it's grating on the ears.

Relative inexperience, maybe, given that "Whew!" was his first game show gig?

BrandonFG

« Reply #319 on: October 26, 2021, 04:19:03 PM »

I'll also add that he was doing Soap at the same time, which required a more subdued delivery. I imagine he was still finding the balance between the two. He toned it down by the time So You Think You Got Troubles or Hit Man premiered.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Casey Buck

« Reply #320 on: October 26, 2021, 05:26:16 PM »

It might just be a Jay Wolpert thing. He's just as over-the-top on the Pandemonium pilot.

Nick

« Reply #321 on: October 26, 2021, 06:16:07 PM »

Except he was still way over-the-top at the end of the '80s until heath issues forced him to be more subdued.  Not to speak ill of Rod as I have many fond memories of him in my years watching Price, but in retrospect, I really don't understand how he was left so unrestrained in his delivery and especially on Whew!.  You'd think he would have been told to tone it down.

It might just be a Jay Wolpert thing. He's just as over-the-top on the Pandemonium pilot.

Maybe, but I'd argue everyone and everything was over-the-top about that pilot (except for Steve Edwards).
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #322 on: October 26, 2021, 07:32:37 PM »

I'll have to check, but I swear he was more "professional" sounding on "Hit Man".

KrisW73

« Reply #323 on: October 27, 2021, 07:18:50 AM »
In case nobody has noticed, the Gauntlet has a current losing streak at 20.  That's one way to make up for the week with 4 Gauntlet wins.

(Spoilered in case nobody has seen the episode that aired Friday afternoon.)
I was hoping that I wasn't the only one who noticed. And IMO, an overcorrection. I'm sure it didn't help against its competition.

Spoilered in case someone hasn't watched yesterday's episode

The dry streak continues - with some really tough (imo) bloopers but easier ones shuffled in

tyshaun1

« Reply #324 on: October 27, 2021, 08:10:06 AM »

I'll have to check, but I swear he was more "professional" sounding on "Hit Man".
Bill Carruthers had Rod record all of his fee plug reads in advance on PYL and he was much more subdued, likely because he had worked with him before on Whew!.

Otm Shank

« Reply #325 on: October 27, 2021, 02:41:27 PM »
Perhaps the direction given to Rod was to not be subdued, owing to the fact that the shows were titled Whew! and Pandemonium.

Maybe it was something with the reverb that strident worked better than mellifluous.

Bryce L.

« Reply #326 on: October 27, 2021, 04:45:52 PM »
In case nobody has noticed, the Gauntlet has a current losing streak at 20.  That's one way to make up for the week with 4 Gauntlet wins.

(Spoilered in case nobody has seen the episode that aired Friday afternoon.)
I was hoping that I wasn't the only one who noticed. And IMO, an overcorrection. I'm sure it didn't help against its competition.

Spoilered in case someone hasn't watched yesterday's episode

The dry streak continues - with some really tough (imo) bloopers but easier ones shuffled in
And we can add another notch in Jeremy Swash's belt today.

That Don Guy

« Reply #327 on: October 27, 2021, 04:56:14 PM »

Hit Man had "both" of the Rod Roddys - the "calm" one narrated the two "movies," while the more over-the-top one did the opening and closing credits.

Bryce L.

« Reply #328 on: October 27, 2021, 04:57:04 PM »

Hit Man had "both" of the Rod Roddys - the "calm" one narrated the two "movies," while the more over-the-top one did the opening and closing credits.
I thought Peter narrated the "movies".

That Don Guy

« Reply #329 on: October 27, 2021, 07:38:01 PM »

I thought Peter narrated the "movies".

I always thought it was Rod in his "Soap" voice. Guess I'll have to add that to the list of "wrong game show memories..."