Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 124161 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2021, 04:59:35 PM »
On the subject of Debbie's episode, Tom mentions this being the 100th gauntlet run. I imagine this puts us to about July of '79?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2021, 05:02:19 PM »
On the subject of Debbie's episode, Tom mentions this being the 100th gauntlet run. I imagine this puts us to about July of '79?
Unless I'm much mistaken, today was August 20, 1979.

BrandonFG

« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2021, 05:04:25 PM »
Thank you. If they don't skip further, we should see Randy Amasia's episodes in the next week or so.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2021, 05:07:06 PM »
Thank you. If they don't skip further, we should see Randy Amasia's episodes in the next week or so.
If you see a lady named Pat Aiello, we're close to Randy.

WhammyPower

« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2021, 05:28:50 PM »
The math says next Friday. And I've already checked: Buzzr is not skipping any between now and then.

tvmitch

« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2021, 05:31:51 PM »
In the second game today, Debbie was on the fifth level with time nearly expired. The answer on the blooper was "film" and as the clock hit zero, she yelled "FILM-LONGSHOT!" They let her play the longshot since she said it as the buzzer went, but since she gave and was credited for the correct answer (it turned to an arrow) wouldn't she have been on the sixth level and thus unable to call a longshot?
Perhaps the rule only applies if the contest says the words "LEVEL 6"? Technically, the contestant could choose a second box on Level 5 (by mistake).
You should follow me on Twitter

CarpetCrawler

« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2021, 05:33:00 PM »
In the second game today, Debbie was on the fifth level with time nearly expired. The answer on the blooper was "film" and as the clock hit zero, she yelled "FILM-LONGSHOT!" They let her play the longshot since she said it as the buzzer went, but since she gave and was credited for the correct answer (it turned to an arrow) wouldn't she have been on the sixth level and thus unable to call a longshot?
Perhaps the rule only applies if the contest says the words "LEVEL 6"? Technically, the contestant could choose a second box on Level 5 (by mistake).

In fact, that happened on an episode already aired by BUZZR, I think during the marathon!!
- CC Kirby

JMFabiano

« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2021, 05:42:21 PM »
Listening to today's rerun with a pair of headphones, I hate to disappoint the nostalgia lovers out there, but BUZZR indeed cut out Rod's "Stay tuned for 'The Price Is Right'..." plug at the end.

I understand why Buzzr has to cut out addresses and phone numbers, but this extra expense still baffles me. Are there Buzzr viewers who get upset when they don't receive the episode of Tattletales that Johnny Olson from 1976 promised them? Is there some issue with the phrase "these CBS stations," even though there are plenty of references within assorted shows to being on CBS or NBC? I don't understand why they're expending the effort to make these edits.

Maybe since Buzzr is officially a broadcast network, there's some legalese behind that (but no word on why the plugs from the first 5 Whew episodes or the other shows' plugs weren't cut).

Seems they're lax about this sort of thing when they have a mini-marathon of the premiere week of new shows.  MG/HS's first week of episodes = the only ones to keep the entire fee plugs mid-show and end-show. 

/And that threw off the timing of show/ad break whenever they aired. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2021, 05:52:55 PM »

This. See rule 11.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2021, 05:53:39 PM »

This. See rule 11.

Got it. Thanks!
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TimK2003

« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2021, 08:28:38 PM »

Since she did not utter "Level 6...", it sounds like an action that is similar what we discussed earlier -- you can stay on a level after correctly solving a blooper.  So once you call the next level, you cannot go back.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2021, 04:20:40 AM »
Noticed something on the first game of the second episode. I played it several times, and I'm pretty sure the charger, Annie, answers a blooper on the top level with "wedding ring" just starting her answer before the buzz-buzz for time. The correct answer was "rings." Did they bring her back? Or are my old ears mishearing this?
When they came back from commercial, Tom said that she had indeed answered the blooper but not within the two second time limit.

He does indeed say that, but assuming the buzzer is at the two second time limit, she absolutely beat the buzzer as seen at 5:21 in this video:

https://youtu.be/JURWcWWyCJw?t=321

JMFabiano

« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2021, 02:14:09 PM »
And of course, Sunday's airing started with last Monday and Tuesday's I believe.  Despite my cable info calling the eps 1.7 and 1.8. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

That Don Guy

« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2021, 04:15:01 PM »
Noticed something on the first game of the second episode. I played it several times, and I'm pretty sure the charger, Annie, answers a blooper on the top level with "wedding ring" just starting her answer before the buzz-buzz for time. The correct answer was "rings." Did they bring her back? Or are my old ears mishearing this?
When they came back from commercial, Tom said that she had indeed answered the blooper but not within the two second time limit.

He does indeed say that, but assuming the buzzer is at the two second time limit, she absolutely beat the buzzer as seen at 5:21 in this video:

https://youtu.be/JURWcWWyCJw?t=321

I remember a number of episodes where Tom says the buzzer is 1/2 second after the time expires.

Otm Shank

« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2021, 12:26:16 AM »
I remember a number of episodes where Tom says the buzzer is 1/2 second after the time expires.
Good to know. That's probably the case, however that's not how a buzzer is supposed to work