Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 124175 times)

Otm Shank

Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2021, 05:29:37 PM »
Noticed something on the first game of the second episode. I played it several times, and I'm pretty sure the charger, Annie, answers a blooper on the top level with "wedding ring" just starting her answer before the buzz-buzz for time. The correct answer was "rings." Did they bring her back? Or are my old ears mishearing this?

gamed121683

« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2021, 06:15:52 PM »
On today's episode have they cut out the PIR/news plug?  I heard a jump in the end theme, I think.

Listening to today's rerun with a pair of headphones, I hate to disappoint the nostalgia lovers out there, but BUZZR indeed cut out Rod's "Stay tuned for 'The Price Is Right'..." plug at the end. After Rod says, "This is Rod Roddy speaking", if you listen very carefully...you can hear  a little bit of Rod saying "Stay" before they quickly fade it out.

Whew! reruns on Buzzr: Now with 5 seconds more theme song!

snowpeck

« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2021, 07:05:33 PM »
Noticed something on the first game of the second episode. I played it several times, and I'm pretty sure the charger, Annie, answers a blooper on the top level with "wedding ring" just starting her answer before the buzz-buzz for time. The correct answer was "rings." Did they bring her back? Or are my old ears mishearing this?
When they came back from commercial, Tom said that she had indeed answered the blooper but not within the two second time limit.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2021, 10:47:55 PM »
Listening to today's rerun with a pair of headphones, I hate to disappoint the nostalgia lovers out there, but BUZZR indeed cut out Rod's "Stay tuned for 'The Price Is Right'..." plug at the end.

I understand why Buzzr has to cut out addresses and phone numbers, but this extra expense still baffles me. Are there Buzzr viewers who get upset when they don't receive the episode of Tattletales that Johnny Olson from 1976 promised them? Is there some issue with the phrase "these CBS stations," even though there are plenty of references within assorted shows to being on CBS or NBC? I don't understand why they're expending the effort to make these edits.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2021, 08:30:39 AM »
Listening to today's rerun with a pair of headphones, I hate to disappoint the nostalgia lovers out there, but BUZZR indeed cut out Rod's "Stay tuned for 'The Price Is Right'..." plug at the end.

I understand why Buzzr has to cut out addresses and phone numbers, but this extra expense still baffles me. Are there Buzzr viewers who get upset when they don't receive the episode of Tattletales that Johnny Olson from 1976 promised them? Is there some issue with the phrase "these CBS stations," even though there are plenty of references within assorted shows to being on CBS or NBC? I don't understand why they're expending the effort to make these edits.

Maybe since Buzzr is officially a broadcast network, there's some legalese behind that (but no word on why the plugs from the first 5 Whew episodes or the other shows' plugs weren't cut).

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2021, 08:35:13 AM »

Maybe since Buzzr is officially a broadcast network, there's some legalese behind that (but no word on why the plugs from the first 5 Whew episodes or the other shows' plugs weren't cut).
  That has been the policy that promos for other shows that the station is not going to carry has to be covered up. Promos or voiceovers.  Don't know if that is still the case.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2021, 09:55:54 AM »

I've seen a couple of these now, and you can definitely hear the jump in the music.  I don't notice any jump in the video though...so it appears that they're editing the audio track and must be fading the video a few seconds early so the audio and video fade together.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

catnap1972

« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2021, 04:40:57 PM »
Not worth a spoiler I don't think but the 5-shots at the gauntlet rule is in place by this point.

Bryce L.

« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2021, 04:44:25 PM »
Not worth a spoiler I don't think but the 5-shots at the gauntlet rule is in place by this point.
It was before this, since I think Alan Emrich's episodes fall before A-78D.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2021, 07:02:55 PM »
It was before this, since I think Alan Emrich's episodes fall before A-78D.

They did.  Not sure what the episode numbers were, but since Alan Emrich's episodes have been in the trade circuit for a while, we figured out the airdates as July 30 - Aug 6, 1979.  The episodes being aired now came a week or so after that.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

WhammyPower

« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2021, 10:25:16 PM »
Tom definitely mentioned the five tries rule on today's episode.

aaron sica

« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2021, 07:28:27 AM »
Something I thought about as I watched part of the marathon and the doors opening for the Gauntlet, revealing the huge "$25,000" sign....That was the most a daytime game show offered in 1979, no? Pyramid maxed out at $20K, and daytime Feud was only $5K, just to name a few.

calliaume

« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2021, 10:10:56 AM »
Something I thought about as I watched part of the marathon and the doors opening for the Gauntlet, revealing the huge "$25,000" sign....That was the most a daytime game show offered in 1979, no? Pyramid maxed out at $20K, and daytime Feud was only $5K, just to name a few.
I think that was the most a daytime show offered for accomplishing one thing (winning the end game). It was possible to accumulate more than $25K on Card Sharks, High Rollers, and Hollywood Squares since NBC only limited the number of games a contestant could win.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2021, 10:22:05 AM »
I think that was the most a daytime show offered for accomplishing one thing (winning the end game). It was possible to accumulate more than $25K on Card Sharks, High Rollers, and Hollywood Squares since NBC only limited the number of games a contestant could win.

A perfect Money Cards win on Card Sharks at the time was $28,800, but as a static prize the Gauntlet of Villains would have been the highest I'm aware of.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

SuperMatch93

« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2021, 04:51:23 PM »
In the second game today, Debbie was on the fifth level with time nearly expired. The answer on the blooper was "film" and as the clock hit zero, she yelled "FILM-LONGSHOT!" They let her play the longshot since she said it as the buzzer went, but since she gave and was credited for the correct answer (it turned to an arrow) wouldn't she have been on the sixth level and thus unable to call a longshot?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983