Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 124171 times)

TimK2003

Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2021, 09:27:38 PM »
High Rollers I have suspicions about.  And it harkens back to whatever Fremantle accomplished to get MG/HS back on.  For they had to finally come up with a deal with MGM for the HS portion, right?  Which makes me wonder....could that open the door to get anything surviving from the H/Q or Orion libraries back on the air, such as Rollers, or indeed the "legit" versions of Squares?

Keep in mind that since MG/HS first started airing on Buzzr, most MGM properties were recently sold to Amazon.   And considering that Amazon Prime is the home to many on-demand Buzzr shows already, there's a decent relationship between the two entities, so it may not be as difficult as we may think.

BrandonFG

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2021, 11:35:56 PM »
First Twitter promo:

https://twitter.com/buzzrtv/status/1425245626477039624?s=21
That...is very random. I get that it's a close call and narrow escape. It's also very random.

And I love the obscurities. Keep 'em coming!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2021, 03:38:04 PM »
and the latter is up in the air based on what I read from the info available.
Based on some cryptic comments Mike Berger has made both here and on his webpage, I'm convinced the syndication run of CS is around.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2021, 04:30:39 PM »
Based on some cryptic comments Mike Berger has made both here and on his webpage, I'm convinced the syndication run of CS is around.

The only other word I saw came from Jim MacKrell himself, and he said when Stu Shostak talked to him back in 2012 that everything was lost. Take from that whatever you like.

Speaking of Mike’s page, I’ve always been curious about one thing and I don’t really understand why it’s a curiosity. Is the URL supposed to read “U.S. game shows”, as in United States, or “us game shows”, as in “ain’t nobody here but us game shows, ain’t nobody here at all”?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SuperMatch93

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2021, 04:49:23 PM »
Speaking of Mike’s page, I’ve always been curious about one thing and I don’t really understand why it’s a curiosity. Is the URL supposed to read “U.S. game shows”, as in United States, or “us game shows”, as in “ain’t nobody here but us game shows, ain’t nobody here at all”?

I'd imagine it's the former.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

mmb5

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2021, 06:50:23 PM »
It's the nation.  I once had grander plans that never came to fruition.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

calliaume

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2021, 08:21:19 PM »

The only other word I saw came from Jim MacKrell himself, and he said when Stu Shostak talked to him back in 2012 that everything was lost. Take from that whatever you like.
Years ago I had a long conversation with Jim about this. He said he had one, count it, one Celebrity Sweepstakes episode in his collection. (I didn't ask whether it was the pilot, the final episode, or something else.) I think he was just as delighted as the rest of us when that syndicated episode popped up on YouTube a few years back. I have no reason to think anyone knows of an unseen cache, so barring discovering a pile of tapes in the backroom somewhere, it ain't happening.

(It took me a few minutes to realize this was not referring to Card Sharks.)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2021, 10:35:53 PM »
It's the nation.  I once had grander plans that never came to fruition.

Thanks for clarifying, Mike. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2021, 12:41:15 AM »

I think he was just as delighted as the rest of us when that syndicated episode popped up on YouTube a few years back. I have no reason to think anyone knows of an unseen cache, so barring discovering a pile of tapes in the backroom somewhere, it ain't happening.

I don't have firsthand evidence, but I'm just going to put these questions out there
- Why would we keep presuming that the syndicated version of a lost network show was also wiped or lost?
- What reliable subject matter expert has ever validated the series being lost?
- Wouldn't it have been silly of them to allow the wiping of a series in which they also saw near-term syndication viability? A weekly version premiered a few short months after network

As wonderful as Jim is, I wouldn't consider the host an expert on the tape preservation status of a series. What confirmations have been provided by the David Schwartz's or other trusted artifact curators of our hobby that I may've missed?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 01:02:43 AM by Blanquepage »

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2021, 12:50:10 AM »
And lest we forget, there were some markets that never even GOT "Whew!" when it was on CBS.  Cedar Rapids IA comes to my mind.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

TimK2003

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2021, 02:46:04 AM »
And lest we forget, there were some markets that never even GOT "Whew!" when it was on CBS.  Cedar Rapids IA comes to my mind.

I once worked at a TV station that even in 1979  was airing / a.k.a. "cherry picking" programming from multiple networks on the same channel.  They were the only TV station in ttown at that time.

IBefore the building burned down, there was a closet full of old Nielsen books, including one ratings book while Whew was on the air.  I forgot what they aired in the timeslot Monday-Thirsday, (Wheel on NBC???) but according to Nielsen, they only aired Whew on Fridays.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2021, 06:46:59 AM »

I once worked at a TV station that even in 1979  was airing / a.k.a. "cherry picking" programming from multiple networks on the same channel.  They were the only TV station in ttown at that time.

IBefore the building burned down, there was a closet full of old Nielsen books, including one ratings book while Whew was on the air.  I forgot what they aired in the timeslot Monday-Thirsday, (Wheel on NBC???) but according to Nielsen, they only aired Whew on Fridays.
All Star Secrets was opposite Whew from April -August 79; Hollywood Squares from August 79-the end of Whew run.  Whew never aired opposite WOF on the network.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Offshored2007

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2021, 05:01:44 PM »

Whew! was airing my freshman year in college. I purposely arranged my class schedule so I could watch it (if nobody else had the TV) on WWNY out of Watertown, NY, which was one of those "cherry picker" stations back then. Once I got home, it was cancelled three weeks later.

The news made my day earlier this week.

BrandonFG

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2021, 05:53:06 PM »
I think with a different title and a few tweaks, this show could still work today. For some reason the name Finish Line popped into my head.

WTKR (then-WTAR) in Norfolk didn't air Whew! or Monty's Beat the Clock. Come to think of it, I don't think they aired any of CBS's 10:00 hour shows until Card Sharks in '86.

/Coincidentally, they aired Donnymid at 10am
//20 years after not airing Clark's version
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2021, 11:43:06 PM »
I always thought "Charge!" would be a decent name for a revival.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation