Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 124066 times)

Jimmy Owen

Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2021, 06:26:09 AM »
That wraps up 1979.  If wanted, I can fill in the rest of the 1980 run.

I vote yes!
. Here is 1980 previously undocumented....
Feb 4 Didi Conn, Patrick Wayne
Feb 19 Ross Martin, Rita Moreno

Mar 19 Carolyn Jones, Michael Young
Mar 26 Richard Kline, Betty White
Mar 31 Elaine Joyce, John Saxon

Apr 8 Jamie Farr, Trish Stewart
Apr 15 Grant Goodeve, Marilyn McCoo
Apr 22 Jack Carter, Meredith McRae

May 15 Gary Collins, Mary Ann Mobley

May 22 Robert Vaughn, Marcia Wallace
May 29 John Saxon, Betty White
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 10:53:49 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

That Don Guy

« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2021, 04:21:07 PM »
The permanent Celebrity run started Wednesday  December 5, 1979 with Didi Conn and John Schuck
12/12-Richard Kline and Rita Moreno
12/20-Gary Collins and Trish Stewart
12/27-Robert Mandan and Michael Young.  That wraps up 1979.  If wanted, I can fill in the rest of the 1980 run.

Kline & Moreno started 12/12, or 12/13? I am trying to match the airdate schedule with the celebrity list, but if they started on 12/12, then they were on for 6 episodes while Conn & Schuck were on for only 4 (because of the pre-emption on 12/6).

The only other discrepancies I have are:
Richard Kline & Betty White only have three episodes (3/26-28)
Roxie Roker & Dick Gautier have six episodes (5/7-9; 5/12-14)
Also, John Saxon & Betty White only have two episodes (5/29-30), but those were the last two episodes of the run.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2021, 06:00:47 PM »
It all depends on the information given to TV Guide. Roker and Gautier were listed for 6 shows.

TV Guide also only had Bill Cullen guest hosting P+ for one week, when it was actually 4(?). The other weeks the listings had Allen Ludden.

Stations and networks had the right to make last minute changes.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 06:26:25 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »
One formatics question I’ve never really figured out—were the bloopers supposed to be more difficult going from left to right, or was there no other correlation and the bloopers placed randomly?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SuperMatch93

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2021, 04:35:47 PM »
One formatics question I’ve never really figured out—were the bloopers supposed to be more difficult going from left to right, or was there no other correlation and the bloopers placed randomly?

From what I've seen, the harder questions were worth more.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

nowhammies10

« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2021, 11:23:38 AM »
Quoting from Randy's website:
Difficulty increases horizontally, not vertically.  A $10 blooper is a $10 blooper is a $10 blooper.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2021, 11:48:15 AM »
They weren't trying to be vague about it either...I recall Tom mentioning a few times that the $10 bloopers were the easier ones and the $50 bloopers the harder ones.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2021, 07:06:21 PM »
"Whew!" indeed, what a fun 3 hours that was. I'm betting on why episode 3 was skipped...

(spoiler that references outcomes)

I think the idea was to both show how the series began, and chronicle the journey of the first long-reigning champ Andrea.
Lost & Found will probably show how it ended with episode 8; episode 3 was skipped because one needed to be skipped to lead up to the cliffhanger episode 7.
Guess we'll see?

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2021, 07:16:06 PM »
Watching them again just served to remind that Tom was the perfect host for Whew. His energy level fit the pace. 

tpirfan28

« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2021, 07:45:55 PM »
At least they only made Tom fight with that microphone holder for one show.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TimK2003

« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
Weird seeing a contestant forget to move up to the next level.

There was one round where Andrea solved a blooper on Level 5, then called for another amount on the same level, and they played it out.  Needless to say, despite that, she got up to and completed Level 6 just in time.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2021, 07:57:38 PM »
Watching them again just served to remind that Tom was the perfect host for Whew. His energy level fit the pace.

Not to mention the ability to keep the game on the rails when the wrong bloopers were flipped on the board or the wrong sound effect was played.
@lambertman

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2021, 08:29:53 PM »

There was one round where Andrea solved a blooper on Level 5, then called for another amount on the same level, and they played it out.  Needless to say, despite that, she got up to and completed Level 6 just in time.

“Forget” or “padded her money”? Remember,  your time in the Gauntlet is based on how much money you make in the main game. If you have enough charging time left, why not answer an extra blooper and pump up your money a little?

Bobby B.

« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2021, 08:42:50 PM »
Having seen very few episodes before now, I was surprised to see the amount of chargers getting to the top of the board and winning.  I had thought that was somewhat of a rarity.. It will be interesting to see if that changes as they get later in the run.

TimK2003

« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2021, 08:48:05 PM »

“Forget” or “padded her money”? Remember,  your time in the Gauntlet is based on how much money you make in the main game. If you have enough charging time left, why not answer an extra blooper and pump up your money a little?

I didn't think it was an official option in the game.  With all the other miscues seen during the opening week and ˝ eps., (wrong SFX'S, wrong boxes turned, late turns,...) that it was another oopsie, but they kept it in since everything ended okay.