Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next Jeopardy! Host  (Read 28682 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Re: Mike Richards in Negotiations to be Next Jeopardy! Host
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 06:33:20 PM »
With the door seemingly closed, Pat Kiernan took to Twitter today to post that he and his agent pushed for a Jeopardy audition- he also posted the sizzle reel he sent to them.

He was my first choice for host, and while I'm sure a bunch of people's agents made calls to the show, this is one I really wish they would have considered.

https://twitter.com/patkiernan/status/1423136058271694851?s=20

/did not realize how many films he's been the fake/real newscaster in
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 06:37:35 PM »
"I'm sorry, Bob, you won't be around for Final Jeopardy. We thank you for your participation."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 07:23:34 PM »
Oh, that’s a pity.

/I wonder if any contestants still have their silver ring.
Travis L. Eberle

Mike Tennant

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 08:07:37 PM »
Paul Harris has some interesting things to say about this development: http://www.harrisonline.com/he-put-himself-in-jeopardy/

Some of the highlights:

I’m not surprised, but I am disappointed. When Richards guest-hosted for a couple of weeks early this year, I thought he came off as, well, a sterotypical TV game show host — slick, smarmy, and somewhat robotic.

With Richards both as a potential full-time host and as the guy leading the replacement search, he was effectively the Dick Cheney of “Jeopardy!”

[After saying he preferred Jennings, Cohen, or Bialik] Yet it appears we’ll be stuck with Richards who, among his other sins, has overseen a dumbing-down of the clues on “Jeopardy!” since taking over as executive producer. I wouldn’t put it past him to have “leaked” the story to Variety, either.

Which may be why the response that best fits him won’t appear anywhere on the game board: “What is Machiavellian?”

SuperMatch93

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 09:10:08 PM »
I’m not surprised, but I am disappointed. When Richards guest-hosted for a couple of weeks early this year, I thought he came off as, well, a stereotypical TV game show host — slick, smarmy, and somewhat robotic.

One could argue that Trebek acted that way early on before he mellowed out into the more professorial tone he had later on. If Mike holds the position long-term, I could see the same happening to him.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

tyshaun1

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 07:45:00 AM »
One could argue that Trebek acted that way early on before he mellowed out into the more professorial tone he had later on. If Mike holds the position long-term, I could see the same happening to him.
It's interesting that whomever takes the reign of Jeopardy! is going to go through the *exact* same thing that Trebek himself went through when he took over. No matter how they perform, there will be a section of fans who will never accept them or take a long time to do so. It's just now that everyone has a LOUD opinion. Imagine if technology today existed then, we'd probably be hearing the same thing.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2021, 08:42:49 AM »
Yes.  I'm still upset Art Fleming didn't get the 84 revival
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2021, 09:42:18 AM »
No matter how they perform, there will be a section of fans who will never accept them or take a long time to do so. It's just now that everyone has a LOUD opinion. Imagine if technology today existed then, we'd probably be hearing the same thing.

Yup. The same could probably be said for TNPiR in 1972. I'm sure there were fans that were upset Bill Cullen didn't get to host the revival.

JMFabiano

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2021, 12:25:04 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the Burton "diss" is going just as I thought it might with some people on social media. 

And no I don't think it's THAT.  Nepotism, or whatever the proper word is (sorry I am drawing a blank), maybe, but....

And though Richards isn't my choice either, the "Who?" posts are getting me to think about how the casting for game show hosts have changed the last 20 years, as they need someone from Hollywood who was or is well known it seems.  Are we all just used to that?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »
No matter how they perform, there will be a section of fans who will never accept them or take a long time to do so. It's just now that everyone has a LOUD opinion. Imagine if technology today existed then, we'd probably be hearing the same thing.

Yup. The same could probably be said for TNPiR in 1972. I'm sure there were fans that were upset Bill Cullen didn't get to host the revival.

That guy from Tattletales?  Ha!  Someone get. Dr. Frankenstein to reanimate Allen Ludden, stat. 

Oh boy, is he just going to ask what happens if the cards made whoopee?  Bring back Jim Perry! 

Ray who? 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »
Nepotism would mean Mike got the job because he’s related to someone important. This is just Mike allegedly appointing himself, which we still haven’t confirmed.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Unrealtor

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2021, 12:01:28 AM »
In an alternate universe where Alex Trebek just wrapped up the season and Mike is rumored to be appointing himself as host of Wheel of Fortune after seven months of guest hosts, I'd be more OK with it. I don't think of him as a great fit for Jeopardy - it would work better without the sheen of stereotypical game show host smarm he brings - and i felt like he was the weakest of the three people who I thought were actually there for on-air tryouts and not just as guest hosts (Buzzy and Ken being the other two.)

I had also forgotten that his tenure at TPIR extended back to the days when former Barker's Beauties were quitting and suing left and right. That it's coming back up quite a bit in the internet circles I travel in isn't exactly winning anyone over, either.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Neumms

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2021, 01:03:59 AM »
Could this report have been planted by none other than Mikey himself? Who else would be privy to these "advanced negotiations"?

It strikes me as similar to the way Helen Kushnick steamrolled the less-than-talented Jay Leno into TNT.

Eeeeek. I suppose Mike didn't have to sneak into a vent to listen in on the meetings.

One thing Drew and Wayne have going for them is sincerity, or at least the ability to fake it. Mike doesn't have that, although maybe he cranks it up when he's with the Sony people.

BillCullen1

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2021, 12:04:25 PM »

IIRC, Art was offered the '84 revival and turned it down. He didn't like the electronic look of the set. That led to Alex being offered the job.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »

IIRC, Art was offered the '84 revival and turned it down. He didn't like the electronic look of the set. That led to Alex being offered the job.
As Fred Wostbrock told it to me, Art wasn't even offered the 1984 version because, rightly or wrongly, the blame was laid partly on him for the failure of the 1978 run.