Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next Jeopardy! Host  (Read 28698 times)

PPatters

Next Jeopardy! Host
« on: August 04, 2021, 06:07:21 PM »
In what I imagine will come as a surprise to nearly no one, Variety reports that Mike Richards is in advanced negotiations to be the next host of Jeopardy!.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:38:37 PM by chris319 »
Patrick

BrandonFG

Re: Mike Richards in Negotiations to be Next Jeopardy! Host
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 06:22:20 PM »
After Mike made it clear he wanted the permanent host to put this show first, I knew it would be him, although I held out hope for someone else. The best hosts had other obligations (Anderson Cooper on CNN, Mayim Bialik's sitcom, Ken Jennings on The Chase), and probably didn't want to have to leave a cushy gig.

Not a fan of him planting rumors or the controversy that's followed the show this year, but it is what it is. I'll still be watching.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Scrabbleship

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »
In what I imagine will come as a surprise to nearly no one, Variety reports that Mike Richards is in advanced negotiations to be the next host of Jeopardy!.

Bad, awful move. I guess this means that there'll be a new EP soon?

JMFabiano

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 07:14:09 PM »
Gomer Pyle time.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE....
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Ryanmo97

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 07:28:44 PM »

No… I think he will still be EP. Bob was EP of Price before he retired.

weaklink75

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 07:30:54 PM »
Not a shock, and he wasn’t bad- if the show still is viable in the changing TV world, I could see him doing this for 20 years..

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 07:50:45 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think Mike will "decide to step aside" and "offer the job" to someone who fans generally liked, esp. since the general response I've seen today on Twitter is "Who?" It just seems like such a Mike Richards move, in the realm of no such thing as bad publicity.

With the contestant who allegedly made a racist symbol during the intro, the LeVar Burton petitions, then the outdated but offensive clue, nothing this man does or allows surprises me anymore.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

JohnXXVII

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 08:06:25 PM »
I never totally bought the reasons put out there for his hosting in the first place, that Ken was unavailable those tape days.

It is ironic that out of all the people who guest hosted, Mike was the only one who actually had hosted a few game shows before.

Nevertheless, if he gets it, I think it would be a bad move. From his voice to his demeanor, I don't think he fits as the full time host of Jeopardy.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:21:14 PM by JohnXXVII »

JMFabiano

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 08:18:38 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think Mike will "decide to step aside" and "offer the job" to someone who fans generally liked, esp. since the general response I've seen today on Twitter is "Who?" It just seems like such a Mike Richards move, in the realm of no such thing as bad publicity.

The two-edged sword of so much celebrity host casting, I guess.  Granted it makes the months of guests just a token gesture before the inevitable.  But on the other hand, do we now expect a "name" person when time comes to tap someone to host a game show? 

With the contestant who allegedly made a racist symbol during the intro, the LeVar Burton petitions, then the outdated but offensive clue, nothing this man does or allows surprises me anymore.

If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it certainly wouldn't be the first Mike Richards who was, erm, not very sensitive. 

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 08:20:12 PM »

If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it certainly wouldn't be the first Mike Richards who was, erm, not very sensitive.
No. That's not what I'm thinking. I just think he's getting some buzz.

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 08:21:21 PM »

No. That's not what I'm thinking. I just think he's getting some buzz.

Aha.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 09:02:19 PM »
How sad is it that I spent years complaining about former sitcom stars being hired to host game shows over career hosts, and now that a career game show figure is likely to be the new host of Jeopardy, I would much rather have Mayim Bialik?

Side note - it took me ages to memorize that MIKE Richards is the now-former Executive Producer of TPIR and LMAD and host of GSN Pyramid and Divided, MATT Richards is the current host of HQ Trivia (he replaced Scott Rogowsky), and MARK Richards was the original host of Starcade in 1982 (Geoff Edwards replaced him).

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 03:53:22 AM »

Could this report have been planted by none other than Mikey himself? Who else would be privy to these "advanced negotiations"?

It strikes me as similar to the way Helen Kushnick steamrolled the less-than-talented Jay Leno into TNT.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 10:08:16 AM »
Mike has always wanted to be an on-camera talent first. It'd be a little shady to me that the EP suddenly ends up host of the show they're EP'ing, but if he in fact gets it, it won't be because he didn't work to get into the room. Even when he wasn't hosting, he was still producing, and I'm sure that kept him in the right people's orbit.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

mystery7

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »
Not necessarily. Alex was a producer for the first couple of seasons Of J!. And Jack Barry had 2 or 3 shows going while he hosted Joker's Wild. (He also had Dan Enright but the point stands that you can host and produce at the same time.)