Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next Jeopardy! Host  (Read 28896 times)

cmjb13

Re: Mike Richards in Negotiations to be Next Jeopardy! Host
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2021, 03:00:34 PM »
I'm surprised that Richards didn't wait for Wheel of Fortune to become available, as that show might be more in his wheelhouse. Or maybe he's planning on hosting both shows when the time comes?

In any event, poor decisions on Sony's part. Typical corporate choices, going with mostly safe and then some "celebrity." The brand goes down in my eyes; I'll watch from time to time, but not with the enthusiasm I might have had had they gone in a different direction.
Maybe Mike will host Wheel when Pat/Vanna retires and Bialik will host Jeopardy full time.
. I would think Mike would want to host WOF and J!  simultaneously.

No issue there. 2 studios share 1 control room, so both shows are on staggered taping schedules
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

weaklink75

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2021, 07:26:23 PM »
Adding more fuel to the fire- some comments on an old podcast he did in 2013-14..

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/8/18/22631299/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-search-process-past-comments

from the article= "A source from Sony says that the studio was unaware of the podcast’s existence or the episodes’ removal until being notified by The Ringer." (You'd think they would have gone over everything with a fine-toothed comb before they made the final decision....and they're starting taping for the new season Thursday 8/19, so if they're having second thoughts they have to make a decision immediately)

Edit- now the AV Club is saying he should step down:

https://www.avclub.com/mike-richards-should-step-down-as-upcoming-jeopardy-ho-1847513700
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 07:49:50 PM by weaklink75 »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2021, 06:27:07 PM »
Honestly, I don't think Sony has a choice but to ride this out, at least through the season. I'm sure today was a very awkward day on set for Mike, especially after he just had to issue a statement to Jeopardy staff less than a month ago.

While I don't think this is a decision that should have ever been based on the will of the people, there were so many choices that would have ranged from "perfect fit" to "they'll do" that this is looking more like the "Biff Tannen's Pleasure Palace" timeline for Jeopardy.

Kinda feel bad for Harry Friedman, who's had to sit at home and watch while The Gilded Lady crashed into the rocks.

That's enough movie references for now.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Unrealtor

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2021, 10:19:24 PM »
Sounds like Mike's run may be over before it even starts. Variety

[M]ultiple sources close to the situation say the discovery of offensive remarks from the podcast has sparked grave concern within the studio about whether Richards’ public image may already be too damaged for him to be the face of the beloved quiz show. There’s little doubt that Sony Pictures is starting to consider alternative scenarios for the host slot even as Richards begins taping new episodes this week.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

rebelwrest

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2021, 10:26:22 PM »
Sounds like Mike's run may be over before it even starts. Variety

[M]ultiple sources close to the situation say the discovery of offensive remarks from the podcast has sparked grave concern within the studio about whether Richards’ public image may already be too damaged for him to be the face of the beloved quiz show. There’s little doubt that Sony Pictures is starting to consider alternative scenarios for the host slot even as Richards begins taping new episodes this week.

Sounds like Sony's only options at this point are either give Ken the job and just schedule the tapings around The Chase or pay off a lot of money to others to get Mayim released from her sitcom duties.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

cmjb13

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2021, 10:32:33 PM »
If Richards gets pulled as host…

Does he also lose the EP job for both shows?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Bryce L.

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2021, 10:51:02 PM »
Does he also lose the EP job for both shows?
If it were any company other than Sony, I'd say yes, no questions asked. But nothing would surprise me with those guys anymore.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2021, 11:05:04 PM »
Historically speaking when people who've been accused of the things that Mike has been accused/proven of doing/saying lose their figurehead position but not their actual power, they then use that power to sabotage their replacement and/or their accusers. 

The figure presented in the accusations, legal history, and known oral history at past shows would absolutely 1000% deliberately sabotage Jeopardy were he to remain as producer but be ousted as host. 

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2021, 01:59:35 AM »
Sounds like Mike's run may be over before it even starts.

Remember what happened to Billy Bush?

calliaume

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2021, 10:22:54 AM »
Sounds like Mike's run may be over before it even starts.

Remember what happened to Billy Bush?
Per Variety, the same thing will happen here.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-fired-1235045394/

tvmitch

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2021, 10:51:25 AM »
If he has already taped some shows, I'll be interested to see how they handle that.
You should follow me on Twitter

weaklink75

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2021, 10:54:19 AM »
If he has already taped some shows, I'll be interested to see how they handle that.

Yeah- I don't know if they can really trash them without causing issues, but at the most they did 5 eps...

jage

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2021, 10:56:12 AM »
Probably just have Johnny introduce him as the guest host and remove any comments he made about being the permanent one.

cmjb13

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2021, 11:32:03 AM »
What does Sony have to gain by keeping him as EP, rather than just cutting all ties with him?

Seems at this point he’s too damaged to stay, too toxic, and not worth the headache.