Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next Jeopardy! Host  (Read 28994 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: Mike Richards in Negotiations to be Next Jeopardy! Host
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2021, 01:35:23 PM »
How the heck can you spin off Jeopardy? If they say they’re going to reverse the process from A&Q to Q&A, I give up…

There have already been several spinoffs of Jeopardy hosted by people other than Alex.

You must not know much about game shows.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2021, 01:51:47 PM »
This is why I didn’t jump the gun here—I completely forgot about the versions for kids, music fans or sports nuts.
Travis L. Eberle

JohnXXVII

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2021, 02:02:37 PM »
I'm surprised that Richards didn't wait for Wheel of Fortune to become available, as that show might be more in his wheelhouse. Or maybe he's planning on hosting both shows when the time comes?

In any event, poor decisions on Sony's part. Typical corporate choices, going with mostly safe and then some "celebrity." The brand goes down in my eyes; I'll watch from time to time, but not with the enthusiasm I might have had had they gone in a different direction.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 02:31:22 PM by JohnXXVII »

weaklink75

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2021, 03:30:47 PM »
This is why I didn’t jump the gun here—I completely forgot about the versions for kids, music fans or sports nuts.

I stand corrected- I was thinking spinoff in the "take one part of a show and make it the show" ala Family Feud being a spinoff of sorts from Match Game's Audience Match...

JMFabiano

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2021, 05:38:17 PM »

So JEP! IS GONNA BE NEW! N...naaaaaaaaaaaah....

As I feared, there are still people going "there" as far as why Burton wasn't chosen. Look, there were guest hosts from all walks of life who did not get the job either in favor of the guy already on J!'s staff.

(And right now is a great time for diverse hosting in the genre...you have Michael Strahan and Wayne Brady, who are at the helm of two of my favorite game revivals in general. And one of which I got to be part of this past winter. Steve Harvey...well I am not a fan of the content Family Feud now has, but he's made the show a big hit in syndication. Elizabeth Banks is doing a competent job in Peter Tomarken's shoes too) 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Bryce L.

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2021, 05:50:19 PM »
As I feared, there are still people going "there" as far as why Burton wasn't chosen.
The only person on this board I see going there is you. The rest of us knew from the jump that it was basically Mike's job to lose.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2021, 05:58:59 PM »
As I feared, there are still people going "there" as far as why Burton wasn't chosen.
The only person on this board I see going there is you. The rest of us knew from the jump that it was basically Mike's job to lose.

I don’t think he’s simply referring to here.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

inturnaround

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2021, 06:20:04 PM »

The world is bigger than this board, sir. And plenty are saying it.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Ryanmo97

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2021, 06:20:59 PM »
And coming out of left field... https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeopardy-set-to-announce-mayim-bialik-and-mike-richards-splitting-host-duties

Maybe they wanted Mayim full time but she couldn’t commit because of her Call Me Kat responsibility….otherwise why do this?
That’s what I was thinking.

calliaume

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2021, 07:50:42 PM »
And coming out of left field... https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeopardy-set-to-announce-mayim-bialik-and-mike-richards-splitting-host-duties

Maybe they wanted Mayim full time but she couldn’t commit because of her Call Me Kat responsibility….otherwise why do this?
That’s what I was thinking.
It's possible. Call Me Kat started shooting before Trebek died; it was renewed before Bialik's Jeopardy! episodes put her in the hosting conversation. But it didn't get great ratings or reviews, and it has a new showrunner for season 2, which is not a good sign.

I think Bialik's inclusion in the hosting "group" is more a backup plan in case Mike Richards blows up in Sony's face, but Call Me Kat may not last either.

Neumms

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2021, 01:42:26 AM »
Disappointment registered by CNN commentator: https://apple.news/ARQp3GO5BSQSsfNoKSZ9n6A

JMFabiano

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »

The world is bigger than this board, sir. And plenty are saying it.

Indeed.

Though I don't begrudge, and totally understand, if you want to ignore social media. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2021, 10:49:57 AM »
How the heck can you spin off Jeopardy? If they say they’re going to reverse the process from A&Q to Q&A, I give up…

Same way they've done it before...different contestants or more specific subjects. She could definitely do high profile tournaments, celebrity editions, maybe even a run at College Bowl. I'd love to see a scientists tournament. Or one that's more focused on pop culture. Anything is possible.

This. I could definitely see them doing very segmented tournaments or exhibition games (like Rock and Roll or Sports Jeopardy) that don't have a direct bid to the ToC.

I think this new National College Championship is supposed to be the run at College Bowl- seems weird that they're tinkering with that tournament the way they are.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Stackertosh

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2021, 08:36:29 AM »
I'm surprised that Richards didn't wait for Wheel of Fortune to become available, as that show might be more in his wheelhouse. Or maybe he's planning on hosting both shows when the time comes?

In any event, poor decisions on Sony's part. Typical corporate choices, going with mostly safe and then some "celebrity." The brand goes down in my eyes; I'll watch from time to time, but not with the enthusiasm I might have had had they gone in a different direction.

Maybe Mike will host Wheel when Pat/Vanna retires and Bialik will host Jeopardy full time.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2021, 10:04:05 AM »

Maybe Mike will host Wheel when Pat/Vanna retires and Bialik will host Jeopardy full time.
. I would think Mike would want to host WOF and J!  simultaneously.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.