Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If you could attend any show, past or present...  (Read 6434 times)

SuperMatch93

If you could attend any show, past or present...
« on: July 21, 2021, 07:48:32 AM »
If you could attend a taping of any game show, past or present, which would you pick?

For me it's a toss-up between Cullen Price (particularly when they were at the 1,000+ seat Colonial Theater) and 70s Pyramid because the audiences seemed so energetic in episodes I've seen. Or What's My Line to experience a Johnny Olson warm-up.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Card Shark

Re: If you could attend any show, past or present...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 03:00:18 PM »
It would be Dawson Feud and Perry Card Sharks.
Adam Strom

PPatters

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 03:14:37 PM »
It would absolutely be Garry Moore’s I’ve Got a Secret. It just seemed like everyone had a blast. The panel was hilarious. Garry was hilarious.
Patrick

Kniwt

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 03:16:33 PM »
I'da loved to have been in the audience for Stempel/Van Doren.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm surprised there haven't been at least a couple first-person accounts like "I Saw Charles Van Doren 'Defeat' Herb Stempel, And I Knew Something Wasn't Right" in Salon or Vox or Buzzfeed or something. (Or if there have been such stories, I'd love to see them.)

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 03:22:35 PM »
The original Press Your Luck (but I could go for the current revival as well), $ale of the Century, or Jeopardy!. :D

Being at a PYL taping feels electric, like a big football or baseball game, IMO.

jage

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 03:28:41 PM »
I guess TPIR is the obvious answer to me, since you could in normal circumstances end up on stage. Aside from that, I really wanted to see Jeopardy when I was in the LA area in March 2020 but we know how that went. For something further back, the energy of Name that Tune, Treasure Hunt, or PYL would have been a lot of fun,

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 03:59:06 PM »

If we're allowed to choose specific episodes, I've always wondered what the energy in the room was like during Michael Larson's Press Your Luck run. Not only as his total kept growing larger, but also during the stopdown when they had to change the tape as well as after the episode ended and it was time for everybody to leave.

Casey

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 04:18:48 PM »
I'd pick 3 - a couple from left field I'd guess.  Fandango, Face the Music, and Dawson's Family Feud.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 04:20:52 PM »
I'd definitely hit up the more now-obscure games of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. I'd also love to stop in on CBS Television Quiz, if only for the novelty.

For specific episodes, two big ones for me would be the New Price Is Right pilot (August 15, 1972) and the first Wheel of Fortune.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

tyshaun1

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 06:47:46 PM »

If we're allowed to choose specific episodes, I've always wondered what the energy in the room was like during Michael Larson's Press Your Luck run. Not only as his total kept growing larger, but also during the stopdown when they had to change the tape as well as after the episode ended and it was time for everybody to leave.
Believe it or not, they actually taped another episode shortly after Larson! But yeah, I think I would've been exhausted just being in the audience for that taping, much less being part of the production crew.

Winkfan

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 10:21:41 PM »
Having been witness to five different tapings between 1984 and 2006. I'll just go by the decades prior to.....

1950's: Music Bingo
1960's: either Video Village or What's This Song
1970's: either Gambit or The Big Showdown

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 10:29:38 PM »
I'm not too picky, but any 70's Bill Cullen-hosted show that had Don Pardo announcing -- so likely a show at 30 Rockefeller Center to see two of the best.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 11:21:51 PM »
70s Pyramid. That NYC audience was electrified.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bulldog_06

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 12:57:25 AM »
It would have to be Perry's Card Sharks and the current PYL w/ Elizabeth Banks.

Bryce L.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 01:41:58 AM »
For me, classic PYL (either the Larson game, or the Randy/Lori/Cathy episode, just to see how much of that one hit the cutting room floor).